Sponsored

Price Disparity Among Headers

MustangerS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I'm not terribly well versed when it comes to headers, but why is there such a huge variance in price? I can't comprehend why some headers are ~$1K (Stainless Power), and others are as much as $2.2K (Kooks). Surely they're not twice as good...?
Sponsored

Derek@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT 300A w/ Brembo's
Stainless Power is a header made in China. Sounds like the Kooks system you looked at are equipped with the green cats and they are made in the USA. The green cats do not require any tuning and will not turn on the check engine light. Any other cat will more than likely require a tune to turn the CEL off.

Both systems are nice. SP carries a 2 year warranty. Kooks carries a lifetime warranty on headers and mid pipes, but 2 year warranty on the cats themselves.

Other systems like ARH also carry lifetime warranties, so that's what you are paying for as well. SP has it's spot in the market, but we really like the Kooks, ARH and SW systems.

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
ARH has made a quality well fitting product for a long time.

Higgs Boson

Detonation Denotation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
ARH and Kooks are always my only two options but I have recently been using only Kooks because ARH may not be the most customer focused company....Kooks has never done me wrong.

Sponsored

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Quality headers come with a high price. But when you don't have to fight exhaust leaks and bad fitment, it's well worth their research time to do it right. My issues is when they start charging $600 for intermediate pipes that is two simple mandrel bends done on a straight pipe.

Ultrakla$$ic

Whoflung Poo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Ingot Silver Premium
I've had them all and the Stainless Power headers are more than enough. Not because they are cost effective but because they work just like the other high dollar headers.

I don't keep a car long enough to even worry about a 2 year warranty much less a lifetime warranty. LOL

ZZ5Wk1Pl.jpg

Go Stainless Power and get them from Beefcake Racing :cheers:

Slamdcoop0428

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium auto
My Pypes header fit amazing on my car. Everything cleared by a mile. They fit way better than my ARH headers did on my vette. I actually had to grind a
Small Spot on my vette to make them fit.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
All of the headers are made nicely that we sell IMO.

The Stainless Works, ARH, and Kooks are all usa made lifetime warranty headers made from 304 stainless. All fit great. All make similar power. Pick your poison. We run / sell / use them all.

If your looking to save a few bucks, we have some great deals on the Stainless Power and Pypes headers. Both are 304 stainless, but are made over seas. For alot, that doesn't matter.

We have great pricing on these as well. In addition, we have a custom system from stainless power and stainless works with extended lead pipes made exclusively for us to eliminate the factory neckdown.

You really can't go wrong with any of them.

If anyone needs pricing on any of the brands, were happy to oblige. I can say we have a ridiculous amount of guys that have done the pypes and the stainless power and been more than pleased with the $$ they have saved....

:)

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I went BBK ceramic coated. American Muscle having a discount then offering a 10% rebate didn't hurt. The Kooks and Stainless Works are nice, but not twice the price nice.

Sponsored

MikeyPee

dissmember
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 IS Premium GT w/PP
Buy nice, not twice

Schu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550GTPP
What Ive noticed also is there is a wide gap in prices on the same system, as much as $500 on a ahr full system I have been looking at.

Are there any knock offs going around in the market that might account for this pricing difference?

I want to save money, but I dont want to end up with some sub par piece.

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Buy nice, not twice
There isn't any appreciable HP gain over them. They're made in the USA. They'll last at least as long as the car, or until I'm ready to rebuild the motor.

Back when I ran Fox bodies, BBK was always solid. While some of these others may look prettier it doesn't make economical sense. It's steel and welding. They didn't reinvent the wheel.

Not to knock those other brands, because no doubt Kooks, ARH, and SW are all great products.

In the end, to each his own. It's up to you on how you want to spend your money. I'm sure I'll find something to do with the extra $700. I've got a trip to Steeda coming up. :)

Higgs Boson

Detonation Denotation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
There isn't any appreciable HP gain over them. They're made in the USA. They'll last at least as long as the car, or until I'm ready to rebuild the motor.

Back when I ran Fox bodies, BBK was always solid. While some of these others may look prettier it doesn't make economical sense. It's steel and welding. They didn't reinvent the wheel.

Not to knock those other brands, because no doubt Kooks, ARH, and SW are all great products.

In the end, to each his own. It's up to you on how you want to spend your money. I'm sure I'll find something to do with the extra $700. I've got a trip to Steeda coming up. :)
The problem isn't welded pipes being the same.

You may not keep the car for a long time or have a need for better quality stainless steel, but there is a huge difference in materials.

The other big factor is fitment. "Back in the Fox body days" doesn't mean much in 2016. It's not 1991 and these aren't Fox bodies. Clearances are tighter and there are headers that rub bolts and frames, etc. Sometimes they line up the midpipe so it rubs something else down the line. So when you are getting harmonics through the cabin and/or false knock pulling spark lead because you decided they're "all the same" you can let us know.

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
Some will make more power than others just based on the primaries being in the correct firing order and won't have the primaries dented in just to aid in fitment. And as Higgs correctly pointed out this isn't 1991 and these aren't fox body cars.
Sponsored