Sponsored

Price check during covid and low inventory

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
i am looking to get back into a premium GT. Horrible timing as inventories are low right now...but dealers seem motivated.

Anyone buy recently? Finally found a premium, 401A, magnaride, B&O, active exhaust, GT perf pkg car that msrp's for about $53,500 (edit - my bad on typo of 43,500). I can get 10% off msrp plus rebates (2,000) which would total 13.5% off msrp.

I am in houston, so can easily shop dealers here plus dallas and san antonio. I think i am gonna push for an additional 3 to 5% to get in the 13% to 15% range plus rebate. Anyone else have a feel for the mustang market right now???
Sponsored

Last edited:

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
The market is very tight right now, with limited inventory. I'd take it and run, honestly. I searched/negotiated for weeks and that's about what I got off on mine. It was the best deal I could find anywhere.

AMC401V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - 2000 Excursion - 1987 Swift DB2
Anyone buy recently? Finally found a premium, 401A, magnaride, B&O, active exhaust, GT perf pkg car that msrp's for about $43,500.
I obviously don't understand. How does the car described not have an msrp in excess of 50k? Or is the $43,500 number what you can buy it for?

OP
OP
HoustonGT

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
I obviously don't understand. How does the car described not have an msrp in excess of 50k? Or is the $43,500 number what you can buy it for?
Sorry, $53,500. My bad...

AMC401V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - 2000 Excursion - 1987 Swift DB2
The thing is, there isn't 10% gross margin on this car, even if you add in the hold back. At the numbers you've provided, the purchase price is below invoice and then you get the incentives also.

It would be incredibly difficult in my opinion to get a better deal than this. If you like the car and it has all of the options you were looking for, my recommendation would be to go buy it asap.

Cheers

Sponsored

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
Last month I attempted to trade in my 2015 Ecoboost which I just sold last Friday for a 2020 GT and there were none anywhere here in the northeast equipped to my liking. Either its was the wrong color or it was a manual so I've decide to wait it out, order a 2021 GT in TO and get it with the options I want. As has been said if you find a car optioned to your liking I'd BUY IT

OP
OP
HoustonGT

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Last month I attempted to trade in my 2015 Ecoboost which I just sold last Friday for a 2020 GT and there were none anywhere here in the northeast equipped to my liking. Either its was the wrong color or it was a manual so I've decide to wait it out, order a 2021 GT in TO and get it with the options I want. As has been said if you find a car optioned to your liking I'd BUY IT
Yeah, ready to buy today. Like you said, inventories suck right now... wish I could see twister orange in person before I go velocity blue or rapid red! Love that color in pictures...

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
Yeah, ready to buy today. Like you said, inventories suck right now... wish I could see twister orange in person before I go velocity blue or rapid red! Love that color in pictures...
I'm ready to buy now too but like I said I can't find what I want...I actually drove a 100 miles to a dealer who had a Shelby GT500 in TO just to see it in person before I order it...I fell in love with TO & Black combo and removed any doubt about going with Carbonized Grey so I'll be ordering a GT in TO with black accent package among other things

robot3201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
HoustonGT, any updates? I'm looking in the same area and running into the same problem regarding inventory. I did find a configuration I like for about 14% off msrp (including rebates) + ttl. From what I read so fsr that seems to be good enough to pull the trigger?

Last edited:
OP
OP
HoustonGT

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
HoustonGT, any updates? I'm looking in the same area and running into the same problem regarding inventory. I did find a configuration I like for about 14% off msrp (including rebates) + ttl. From what I read so fsr that seems to be good enough to pull the trigger?
I passed on the GT premium car in my original post and went with a PP2 car. I got 10% before ttl. It was on the lot at a smaller dealer and thats as low as they'd go. Lots of GT premiums to choose from, but this was 1 of 2 PP2 cars in TX on a lot.

Sponsored

TXYANK1323

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang
I passed on the GT premium car in my original post and went with a PP2 car. I got 10% before ttl. It was on the lot at a smaller dealer and thats as low as they'd go. Lots of GT premiums to choose from, but this was 1 of 2 PP2 cars in TX on a lot.
At the start of Covid, I though about selling my 2017 GT premium and driving my "extra" car for a while since there was no where to go. Checked about 4 places and the best offer I received was $23k. So, I did nothing.

Fast forward to last month and traded in the 17 for $29,500 and got the 2020 PP1 with every option $53k Sticker and I was at $46k before TT&L. I guess that is about 14% off - more options than I wanted but like they said, very limited stock in Houston and I was 100% that it had to be black on black manual.

Even if the savings could have been a bit more down the road, there was no way I was passing up almost $30k for a car I paid $33 for at the end of 2017.

OP
OP
HoustonGT

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
At the start of Covid, I though about selling my 2017 GT premium and driving my "extra" car for a while since there was no where to go. Checked about 4 places and the best offer I received was $23k. So, I did nothing.

Fast forward to last month and traded in the 17 for $29,500 and got the 2020 PP1 with every option $53k Sticker and I was at $46k before TT&L. I guess that is about 14% off - more options than I wanted but like they said, very limited stock in Houston and I was 100% that it had to be black on black manual.

Even if the savings could have been a bit more down the road, there was no way I was passing up almost $30k for a car I paid $33 for at the end of 2017.
Nice! Finding the car you want right now aint easy!

robot3201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none

Fast forward to last month and traded in the 17 for $29,500...

The pre-owned market is hot right now. I've ran across many stories like yours where people are getting almost as much as they paid for the car originally. At the time I was looking into trucks though but seems like it applied in your situation too. I think I'm about to pull the trigger.

wktjr1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
20XX GT Premium (Spring 2021). 2013 Toyota Tundra SR5, 2018 Lexus RX450hL, From the past 1991 Mustang LX 5.0 Hatch, 5sp, Wild Strawberry, 1968 Mustang Coupe, 289, Auto
I’m in the same boat. I’m getting back into the Mustang community after 20-year absence. New England is great for trucks, not so much for performance vehicles. I wanted to pull the trigger this year but considering it’ll be garaged for the winter, decided to wait it out.

Back in May I started a spreadsheet for used Mustang prices (16-20). Comparing to the used market now, it’s about 5k higher on average. I’m working on a spreadsheet now that takes into consideration depreciation, interest rates etc., so when I’m ready, I pop in the prices and the numbers I’m interested in are right there.

I was looking at a used CPO GT350 and a new PP2. The requirement for an automatic (Wife) killed both of those. The best new non-negotiated deal I saw was 6.5% with everything else around 5%. Majority just advertise sticker.

I’m will travel for the right deal (que rolling-eyes from wife). The new Mach1 is very interesting but ADM will probably kill that.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I’m in the same boat. I’m getting back into the Mustang community after 20-year absence. New England is great for trucks, not so much for performance vehicles. I wanted to pull the trigger this year but considering it’ll be garaged for the winter, decided to wait it out.

Back in May I started a spreadsheet for used Mustang prices (16-20). Comparing to the used market now, it’s about 5k higher on average. I’m working on a spreadsheet now that takes into consideration depreciation, interest rates etc., so when I’m ready, I pop in the prices and the numbers I’m interested in are right there.

I was looking at a used CPO GT350 and a new PP2. The requirement for an automatic (Wife) killed both of those. The best new non-negotiated deal I saw was 6.5% with everything else around 5%. Majority just advertise sticker.

I’m will travel for the right deal (que rolling-eyes from wife). The new Mach1 is very interesting but ADM will probably kill that.
Firstly Bill, thank you for your service.

If you are even remotely considering a Mach 1 start calling dealers now. Some will honor a MSRP order, especially for a member of the military.

Once those order books open allocations are going to fill up fast. We are already looking at a Spring/Summer release so you have nothing to lose by making your calls now.

Best of luck to you. I really hope you get exactly what you want.
Sponsored