Sponsored

Pretty disappointed with new 17 GT buy

mcbagpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP 401A
I had a rattle in my 17 GT on the passenger door, near the dash. Turned out to be 2 white pins which are mounted on the inside of the door panel at the front end. They have too much play in their base and can easily produce a rattle, especially at 60mph + speeds when the vibration through the door panel is just right.

I used foam tape around the base of each to secure them and the rattle is now gone.
Sponsored

reek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this by someone but why is it that American brands all have a noticeable decreased quality in fit and finish? it's anecdotal but my mustang has random rattles too, the front fender doesn't line up with the door, rear bumper also has a poor fit, almost as if it's been hit and repaired. My Ram has terrible body gaps and alignment and the center stack vent rattles. My previous Pontiac rattled like a baby's toy and just about every leather trim piece delaminated within 2 years.

meanwhile my wifes Tacoma is rattle free and nothing is falling off. I've had Nissans in the past that were pretty close to fit and finish problem free. Even daughters Kia that I drove for more than 6 months is rattle free and everything lines up perfectly.

the only saving grace with American brands is the V8 power. I personally accept the trade off for performance. For what I buy my cars for, the rattles and fit/finish is a minor issue but still I just don't get it.

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
I wish these guys would drive them where I am, I can't find many at all.
I originally wanted to buy a SS camaro but couldn't find any in my price range so I looked in to challengers and stangs. I actually never even test drove a camaro as the two times i did go to look at one dealer they couldn't find it and the second dealer it had just been sold. Anyway, i just spent a week in a SS convertible rental and am glad i didn't buy one. Visibility issue I've read so much about is crazy! At first i thought it wasn't that bad but as time went on i realized it was that bad. Not sure if being a convertible makes it worse than standard coupe?
Car also felt neutered, though i never put it in track mode but drove all week in sport (was nice how it stayed in sport even when shutting off) I would do occasional hard pull entering freeway but would shut it down early as Hawaii has crazy low speed limits. Even a decent goose of throttle felt laggy almost. Not sure if cylinder deactivation plays a role in that. I also was thinking the seats felt better,until i got to airport and climbed back in to my car and realized i was wrong.
I do think the camaro handled bumps a little better. Stang isn't rough per se but camaro seemed a little more plush going over rough spots in road.
I do like the flat bottom steering wheel. Makes me want a gt350 one, but I've already got gt350 bumper and don't want too many 350 parts.
Also made me realize I made right choice with going with manual transmission, which isn't a knock against Chevy in itself.

Basically after a week, I made the right choice on ditching the camaro gameplan and my manual transmission choice was reaffirmed.

A7mad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT
I have a very similar rattle that goes away instantly when I slightly lower the passenger window. I'm assuming it's something loose inside.

iSpeed27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DiB GT
Car also felt neutered, though i never put it in track mode but drove all week in sport (was nice how it stayed in sport even when shutting off) I would do occasional hard pull entering freeway but would shut it down early as Hawaii has crazy low speed limits. Even a decent goose of throttle felt laggy almost. Not sure if cylinder deactivation plays a role in that.
I noticed the same thing in both the fifth and sixth gen Camaros. I've heard Corvette owners complain about throttle response as well. All I can figure is that GM has a more conservative tune on their throttle-by-wire system than Ford does with ours.

Sponsored

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I noticed the same thing in both the fifth and sixth gen Camaros. I've heard Corvette owners complain about throttle response as well. All I can figure is that GM has a more conservative tune on their throttle-by-wire system than Ford does with ours.
I haven't felt very many drive by wire systems from any brand that feel even remotely connected to what the engine is doing. The computer pretty much does whatever it wants while you have to bring it chocolate and flowers to get it to decide to move a bit.

Out of all the things they do with modern cars this has got to be the most annoying, wouldn't want any of the plebs to be "surprised" when their Camry doesn't accelerate in the most smooth and linear manner possible.

VIPR01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 Gremlin
Install a Corsa Extreme or Borla Attak you won’t hear it anymore.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
The reason Japanese cars don't rattle very much is a hold over from WWII. Remember the Kamikazee pilots? They find the assembly line worker that didn't his job right and they stick him in one of those old Zeros and make him look for a battleship.

That is a strong incentive for making sure you push the buttons in place. :)

Sponsored

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
I'm glad you found the problem my friend. Thanks for the update/

MELLOWYELLOW06

MELLOW 2.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT PP
Try touching the passenger air vent and see if that's where the sound is coming from. My driver's side vent makes a similar sound at times, and I can easily stop it by touching the edges. Seems like the fit isn't quite right.

Once i know the cause, I can live with the sound, so it doesn't bother me too much anymore. However, I do also drive with the windows down, and the white noise from the wind pretty much masks any rattles. Also, the deafness helps. :D

-T

I had the same problem and there was an actual fix for that from my dealership.

rubyinla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Yeah Ford needs to look into these things more often.
I have a Ford Flex and man don’t lower both rear windows on
that vehicle - low or high speed hum that will drive you crazy.
I think the CIA can give up waterboarding because it can qualify
as the new form of torture. :lol:
Try lowering the front passenger's or driver's side window down an inch or two.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
The reason Japanese cars don't rattle very much is a hold over from WWII. Remember the Kamikazee pilots? They find the assembly line worker that didn't his job right and they stick him in one of those old Zeros and make him look for a battleship.

That is a strong incentive for making sure you push the buttons in place. :)
most of japanese cars we buy are made in the usa though. Unless you're talking about Lexus and the luxury versions. There's a correlation between stiffness and rattles but I do wish Ford will put more effort in managing it. Luckily for me, my rattle is minimal and only occur when its extremely cold, car hasn't been driven awhile, and going over bad roads. I know before I swapped wheel and tire setup it didn't exist at all.

Boss Bandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT (Lightning Blue), 1998 Camaro SS
My neighbor used to do third party QC engineering for one American luxury brand and another German brand. He relayed one story to me where one example from each brand had similar rattles coming from the top of the dash. The German brand decided to study and re-engineer its components to eliminate the rattle the right way, while the American brand's solution was to stack some felt strips underneath the suspected area of rattle until it went away. Both of these models directly competed with one another.

Appropriately enough, he owned one of the American branded cars he had done QC on...and swore he'd never buy from that brand again. That car was a total lemon. Ironically, he now works directly for the company that builds that brand.

I love American cars, and will always buy them, but I have to acknowledge that our cars are way behind our competitors in terms of fit and finish. Most of the creaks and rattles in my cars are from just sloppy workmanship. When I took delivery of my Mustang last year, I found hardware just laying in the passenger footwell. I never did find out if it was from something missing somewhere in the car, or if they were just extra bonus pieces, like extra fries in the bottom of the bag.

I adore my Mustang, but it has many of the same issues talked about on this forum; thin paint, weak glass, mystery creaks, inconsistent panel gaps. If the overall package wasn't good enough to overcome all of those issues, I'd be mad. But these are still great cars for the money, and I'm supporting my local industry as much as possible with my purchase.
Sponsored