Prepping the stock motor for boost

Ricksgotit1320

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Hey everyone, so ill be gluing a single 76/75 turbo kit to my 2015 GT with 42k miles. My plans are to pull apart the motor gap the rings move the tightest fitting pistons closer to the water pump and loosest towards the rear cylinders all in addition to opg/cs. Replace the secondary timing chain with the 5.2 variant, guides and possibly tensioners. Lastly valve springs and retainers. Anything else anyone would recommend aside from building the motor? Thank you.
Sponsored

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
How much power are you looking to make? You may be wasting your time. I know people open up the ring gaps on LS engines, I've not heard of anyone doing it to a Coyote.

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
If you're going to open up the engine. I agree with the above post, throw a set of forged pistons and rods into it and be done with it. That way, you have the headroom to go up in PSI for more power. Plan for the future.

OP
OP

Ricksgotit1320

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
How much power are you looking to make? You may be wasting your time. I know people open up the ring gaps on LS engines, I've not heard of anyone doing it to a Coyote.
The plan was mid 800s

Sponsored

Dom1232

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dominic
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The plan was mid 800s
I would personally invest in comp cams and just do the OPG/CS. Like everyone said above I would do forged if you’re going to open it up. Hell may as well sleeve the block at that point too lol.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I'm doing an On3 single 76/75 and I'm only doing OPG/CS. The rest can stay. Instead I've put money into a fuel system, clutch, and I'm likely going to need some street drag tires if I plan on gripping anything. I'm only looking for around 650-700 rwhp. Not crazy like most of the folks on here, lol.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
I would personally invest in comp cams and just do the OPG/CS. Like everyone said above I would do forged if you’re going to open it up. Hell may as well sleeve the block at that point too lol.
I wouldn't waste money on cams for a mid 800hp build.

Dom1232

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dominic
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I wouldn't waste money on cams for a mid 800hp build.
less boost with equal power is safer than more boost. A lot of people drop 2-3lbs of psi after cams. You’re already breaking down the valve cover for OPG why not 🤷‍♂️. I wasn’t really thinking max effort, opinions are definitely mixed on these and the efficacy. Imo this makes more sense than anything else like valve springs etc.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
less boost with equal power is safer than more boost. A lot of people drop 2-3lbs of psi after cams. You’re already breaking down the valve cover for OPG why not 🤷‍♂️. I wasn’t really thinking max effort, opinions are definitely mixed on these and the efficacy. Imo this makes more sense than anything else like valve springs etc.
I just don't think its worth the $1600 when trying to make mid 800hp with a turbo setup.

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
As somebody that has cams and boost I’d say save the money and out it into the engine upgrades or sending the heads out to get refreshed with seals and guides.
Sponsored