Prepping new mustang GT for winter

dave95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt
Hey guys I’m new here , picking up my new mustang gt base tomorrow, I live about 20 minutes outside of Boston and am a little nervous about using this car as my daily driver this winter but I was curious if anyone knows if a GT base model without pp 1 or 2 can fit a 17” wheel and tire and if so what size specifically , I’m looking at the 17” range simply because wheels and tires of that size are a little cheaper and I need the winter setup to be moderately budget friendly . Thanks!
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Best advice to give:

If your area sees significant amounts of snow/ice during the winter months - get specific snow/winter tires.

Have a full tank of gas to weigh down the car. Since the Mustang has always been RWD, also get 2-3 50lb bags of either rock salt or kitty litter to put in the trunk for added weight over the rear wheels. Both would also come in handy for if you get stuck. At end of season either keep the bags for next season or donate for a write off.

Use the S550 Snow mode, it does help.

---
As far as deals on an extra set of wheels to use for winter, hit up Craigslist, this site or eBay for used tire/rim packages at decent prices.

OP
OP

dave95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt
Best advice to give:

If your area sees significant amounts of snow/ice during the winter months - get specific snow/winter tires.

Have a full tank of gas to weigh down the car. Since the Mustang has always been RWD, also get 2-3 50lb bags of either rock salt or kitty litter to put in the trunk for added weight over the rear wheels. Both would also come in handy for if you get stuck. At end of season either keep the bags for next season or donate for a write off.

Use the S550 Snow mode, it does help.

---
As far as deals on an extra set of wheels to use for winter, hit up Craigslist, this site or eBay for used tire/rim packages at decent prices.
Thank you very much for the tips I’ll make sure to follow those , do you know if 17’s would fit my car and what size exactly ?

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
Welcome to the forum...I'm 20 minutes outside Boston also... Unless you're doing a lot of driving in the snow save your money for other mods.....I had no problems driving in the snow, which
I don't make a habit of with the OEM All Season tires. As has been said use the SNOW mode and keep some added weight in the trunk as needed.

DSC_0091.JPG

OP
OP

dave95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt
Welcome to the forum...I'm 20 minutes outside Boston also... Unless you're doing a lot of driving in the snow save your money for other mods.....I had no problems driving in the snow, which
I don't make a habit of with the OEM All Season tires. As has been said use the SNOW mode and keep some added weight in the trunk as needed.

DSC_0091.JPG
Thanks man and yeah it’s going to be my daily driver for at least a year so I’m a little nervous to be honest and unfortunately my Job requires me to come in regardless lf
Weather so im trying to see if I can fit 17’s on this car to cheap the winter set up cheap

Sponsored

Oxford19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0GT PP
Off topic a bit, I’m in the area as well 20min north of Boston. We all should meet up sometime.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I think 18" is the smallest wheel you can fit on the front of a base GT as they have 14" rotors and four piston calipers.

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
Weird I’m Peabody as well lol, what tires do you use when winter comes around
My current GT I recently took delivery in March so no snow yet but my previous 2015 Mustang had 18 inch Goodyear All Seasons

Sponsored
OP
OP

dave95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt
anyone of you guys lowered at all? was thinking of going with the eibach pro plus springs for a 1" drop but wasnt sure if that would make winter driving a little more difficult

Oxford19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0GT PP
Weird I’m Peabody as well lol, what tires do you use when winter comes around
Andover here.
I’m lowered a bit, BMR performance springs which is like 1.2” front and 3/4” rear. Mine doesn’t see winter so can’t help with how snow driving would be, possibly annoying build up in the fender wells? Picture for reference for clearance.
46E69026-90D1-40BA-95BF-EACD4B9A9A49.jpeg

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Greetings. I hail from Burlington MA. I think 18x8 OEM wheels are about as small and cheap as you can fit for snow tires without drama. A success pic after driving from Boston to Tremblant Canada in a snow storm to give you some encouragement:

In the past I dailied a lowered V6 Mustang. I was smashing snow and bottoming out pretty often. I would recommend against it for normal people. Vid example:

2A5E6A18-6062-445C-97C1-05BF614DAFA3.jpeg

OP
OP

dave95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt
Andover here.
I’m lowered a bit, BMR performance springs which is like 1.2” front and 3/4” rear. Mine doesn’t see winter so can’t help with how snow driving would be, possibly annoying build up in the fender wells? Picture for reference for clearance.
46E69026-90D1-40BA-95BF-EACD4B9A9A49.jpeg
Your car looks great and the build up of snow in the fenders is exactly why I was curious , maybe I’ll leave it stock height this year and see how it does first . Thank you
Sponsored