Sponsored

Prepping for Xpel Ultimate install

bmclaurin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Shelby GT350
Guys, total noob question here. I just took delivery of my brand new 2017 GT350 in Ruby Red stripeless. Next week I am having Xpel Ultimate applied to the front and entire hood. My question is what should be done to the surface of the paint just prior to taking it in for the installation? I was planning to have it professionally decontaminated, clayed, polished, and waxed prior to the Xpel installation, but then started wondering whether it would be better to *not* have a fresh coat of wax underneath the film. I'm almost embarrassed to have to ask this, but like I said, I'm a complete noob when it comes to car care. For over 40 years, I've been one of those guys that just runs my cars through the automatic car wash every couple weeks. Gonna try to treat the new GT350 with much more care and respect. So, any tips on what I should do, if anything, prior to the Xpel installation?

Oh, and here are a few obligatory, gratuitous glamor shots of the new ride. :D

(I had the roof wrapped in black gloss to match the rear spoiler.)

Sponsored

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Ruby looks beautiful on the GT350. I've never used PPF but I remember an Ammo NYC video where Larry applied Skin (his sealant) beforehand to give the paint some protection from the film moving over the surface as it is installed.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
The PPF will only adhere to bare clearcoat with nothing on it.

That's why the shop will spray it with alcohol before doing the install which strips all was and sealants.

You can wax or seal over the PPF (do NOT use a petroleum based wax or sealant though)

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Great Pics!

It's a lovely ride!

Love the black roof!

I would like to hear more about the Xpel after it is applied to your car.

Thanks for bringing up the question. Hopefully, knowledgable people can provide some good answers.

CVCashmere

ACR2011

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang GT Premium w/PP
The PPF will only adhere to bare clearcoat with nothing on it.

That's why the shop will spray it with alcohol before doing the install which strips all was and sealants.

You can wax or seal over the PPF (do NOT use a petroleum based wax or sealant though)
I totally agree with this. I work at Appearance Solutions here in Sacramento, CA and I prep the paint and film before Xpel is installed. We polish the entire vehicle regardless the car is being full wrapped or partial wrapped. Do some research with whom you choose for Xpel install and what their preparation is prior to Xpel install. I've heard stories from clients where they have previously got their cars installed with PPF and they just washed the car and installed the film, no polishing to remove scratches.

Sponsored

Gnfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT PP, 1986 Buick GN
Guys, total noob question here. I just took delivery of my brand new 2017 GT350 in Ruby Red stripeless. Next week I am having Xpel Ultimate applied to the front and entire hood. My question is what should be done to the surface of the paint just prior to taking it in for the installation? I was planning to have it professionally decontaminated, clayed, polished, and waxed prior to the Xpel installation, but then started wondering whether it would be better to *not* have a fresh coat of wax underneath the film. I'm almost embarrassed to have to ask this, but like I said, I'm a complete noob when it comes to car care. For over 40 years, I've been one of those guys that just runs my cars through the automatic car wash every couple weeks. Gonna try to treat the new GT350 with much more care and respect. So, any tips on what I should do, if anything, prior to the Xpel installation?

Oh, and here are a few obligatory, gratuitous glamor shots of the new ride. :D

(I had the roof wrapped in black gloss to match the rear spoiler.)

Hey. What about the rear quarters?? Looks like the front tires love to blast them. I will be getting my ruby red pp done soon aa welll.

ACR2011

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Hey. What about the rear quarters?? Looks like the front tires love to blast them. I will be getting my ruby red pp done soon aa welll.
I would definitely get that wrapped and the rocker panels. They take some abuse, trust me I have tons of chips on my rocker panels.

Matador91

Benchmark Auto Salon
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Just want to chime in even though I feel like you have the info you need. Regardless of coverage you choose the shop should first be doing a full hand wash. This will cut down on possible contamination while installing the film. Before installing film the installer should clay bar the paint to ensure that there are no contaminants. They should then wipe the paint down with a solvent remover then with isopropal alcohol. Polishing is up to the customers wallet. It is not a absolute necessity. While it is nice knowing your paint is fully corrected underneath the film, it's not going to effect the overall levels of gloss in any way. PPF has its own orange peel.
Sponsored