Preparing to buy my first S550, Need some advice

bonz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 50th Anniv GT
You want the best S550? Buy a clean unmolested 15-17' and take very good care of it.
I generally would agree with this. specifically I would try to get a premium non-PP and turn it into a mod platform and get the car exactly how I wanted it, not how the factory thought I should have it. if you dont want to do mods I can see the point of getting a Mach or GT350, but with the price difference, I've seen even recently some very clean non-PP sub20k mile 15-17 GT's selling for right at 30-32k if you shop smart and are willing to travel to get "the one". that 25-30k price difference goes a LONG damn way into making a 15-17 GT a way better car than the mach is. adding after market suspension/brakes/wheels, upping the power a bit, even naturally aspirated, will put it in line with the mach. probably have money left over for boost or a nice custom wrap and etc.

anyway, that's the direction I'm goin next.
Sponsored

OP
OP

StayinStock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
I generally would agree with this. specifically I would try to get a premium non-PP and turn it into a mod platform and get the car exactly how I wanted it, not how the factory thought I should have it. if you dont want to do mods I can see the point of getting a Mach or GT350, but with the price difference, I've seen even recently some very clean non-PP sub20k mile 15-17 GT's selling for right at 30-32k if you shop smart and are willing to travel to get "the one". that 25-30k price difference goes a LONG damn way into making a 15-17 GT a way better car than the mach is. adding after market suspension/brakes/wheels, upping the power a bit, even naturally aspirated, will put it in line with the mach. probably have money left over for boost or a nice custom wrap and etc.

anyway, that's the direction I'm goin next.
I don't want a car I have to modify to get it where I want performance/handling wise. I think the 15-17s are great cars but another project isn't what I want. I Just want a turn key, all the bells and whistles and comfort touring car that I can hop in and drive. Only mods I'll probably do are a resonator delete and a tune. I want the mag-ride as well. Looks wise the 15-17 just doesn't do it for me either unfortunately. Don't get me wrong, their great cars and they can look good in my opinion with the right things done, but there again, I don't want a project lol.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I Just want a turn key, all the bells and whistles and comfort touring car that I can hop in and drive.
Mach 1 it is. PP2 you'll need to do something about the cooling or accept your fate is to come out of T10 and half-way down pit wall trundle down the rest of the mile-long straight in 6th gear and ~80mph to give the car a few seconds to cool down.

bonz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 50th Anniv GT
I don't want a car I have to modify to get it where I want performance/handling wise. I think the 15-17s are great cars but another project isn't what I want. I Just want a turn key, all the bells and whistles and comfort touring car that I can hop in and drive. Only mods I'll probably do are a resonator delete and a tune. I want the mag-ride as well. Looks wise the 15-17 just doesn't do it for me either unfortunately. Don't get me wrong, their great cars and they can look good in my opinion with the right things done, but there again, I don't want a project lol.
I get that, no worries. for me it's therapeutic to get out there and turn a wrench once in a while, I enjoy it. not everyone's cup of tea tho. :cheers:

07S281E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Saleen S281E, 2020 Shelby GT 350
The MT-82 isn't bad. It's not as good as the Tremec, but for most people it will do just fine. Just make sure you hit redline on your 1-2 and 2-3 shift during the test drive to see if it will actually let you do it. If not, its likely going to be a problem child without spending a lot on various upgrades.

If you only want the Mustang for fun on the street, you don't even have to reach that high. A 400A PP1 car will scratch your itch just fine. What the PP2 adds (besides the wide ass tires) doesn't really rear its head much on the street, although I will say they are one of the best looking Mustang specs out there.

As far as the 350 versus the Mach 1, if we're talking a mountain warrior, as much as I love the Mach 1 I'd take the 350 all day. The Mach 1 is the best overall balance, but its just lacking that special Voodoo sauce. It's still a tough choice though. I've become a convert of active rev matching on downshifts, which the 350 doesn't get.
I agree with everything being said here. Just throwing my two cents. I had the same decision a year ago. I went with the GT350 and as far as the rev matching of the Mach 1, the 350 is the easiest car to heel toe. I can blip the throttle without thinking about it, no matter how my foot is on the brake. No regrets. Good luck with your search

Sponsored

OP
OP

StayinStock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
I get that, no worries. for me it's therapeutic to get out there and turn a wrench once in a while, I enjoy it. not everyone's cup of tea tho. :cheers:
I enjoy it to don't get me wrong lol, but the GM gives me my fill as its constantly breaking, or needing maintenance lol. Partly why I want to buy an s550, just want something I don't have to touch, just hop in and go.

I agree with everything being said here. Just throwing my two cents. I had the same decision a year ago. I went with the GT350 and as far as the rev matching of the Mach 1, the 350 is the easiest car to heel toe. I can blip the throttle without thinking about it, no matter how my foot is on the brake. No regrets. Good luck with your search
That's good to know as well. I still have yet to drive a 350.

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
Good luck Andy. I tracked my S550 coupe (I have a convertible now) and it was fine. I'll suggest that all of these horror stories about the transmission are the 1% who complain on the Internet, not the 99% who have no issues at all.

Kind of like the exploding Z06 engines and failing cylinder liners on Porsche 911. It happens, but it's rare and really not worth worrying about.
Sponsored