Preparing to buy my first S550, Need some advice

StayinStock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
Hi everyone, I'm looking into buying an s550 in the next year. Doing my research now and kind of have it narrowed down but wanted some opinions and thoughts. I've narrowed it down to a PP2, a Mach 1, or a GT350. My main goal is I want a good cruiser that will also double for track duty a few times a year. Good Handling and Manual are my main wants. After recently driving my friends PP2 I can say it ticks most of my boxes but I have some concerns as well.

The PP2 is attractive in the fact its about the most price friendly and I can get it fully loaded with all the bells and whistles, digital dash ect for way less than I could a Mach, however, the MT82 scares me with all the horror stories I've heard over the years. I think I'd rather have a Coyote over a Voodoo though so it weighs in over the Shelby there. Obiviously the Mach is the best of both worlds but they also command a higher price.

Would it be more effective to buy a PP2 car and if an issue arises with the trans take the money I would have saved towards doing a tremec swap? Or would it be better to spend a little extra out of the gate and buy a Mach.

Looks wise the Shelby has my heart but the lack of rev match, digital dash, and a few other things make it less desirable for me. Also the Voodoo issues scare me a bit as well.

I currently have a C6 Corvette which I plan to keep, its currently my roadtrip/mountain road slayer, however the goal behind buying a Mustang is to replace it for that role so I can build the C6 for full on road course shenanigans. My want for the Mustang is simply to not have to do much other than maybe an exhaust, lowering springs, a tune, and maybe some appearance stuff.

I spend alot of time around the Mustang/Coyote community due to friends and family who own them and I love it and I'm excited to finally be a part of it. I owned a 67 Coupe previously but I've always owned GMs otherwise. Looking forward to finally making the leap! Hoping you guys can guide me in the right direction.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Welcome to the forum Andy. So three good choices here, all winners. PP2ā€˜s are not all that plentiful and finding one with your specs could prove difficult. You may also find that pricing is going to be higher than you expect. Bottom lineā€¦to cold.

The GT350 is, well, a GT350. A race car for the street with all the positives and negatives. Ther is nothing like a Voodoo, but. Prices can get really silly. Bottom lineā€¦too hot.

That leaves the Mach 1. A GT with all the bells and whistles designed for the track. A car that checks off all the boxes. Just ask anyone that owns one. If itā€™s in your pricing wheelhouse the obvious choice. Bottom lineā€¦just right.

Best of luck on your journey. Keep us abreast of you find out there. :like:

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
A year away?

Man, anything could happen in a year. Thatā€™s a lifetime in the car world. Iā€™d be observant and an information sponge but itā€™s way too early to try and nail stuff down tighter than that.

Maybe Iā€™m a little different than most, I donā€™t know. On my last one I secured my wifeā€™s buy-in on Sunday (actually she just had a momentary lapse of stern opposition but I took that as permission) and I was rolling home from the dealership by lunchtime Tuesday. Monday was a holiday and they were closed.

OP
OP

StayinStock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
A year away?

Man, anything could happen in a year. Thatā€™s a lifetime in the car world. Iā€™d be observant and an information sponge but itā€™s way too early to try and nail stuff down tighter than that.

Maybe Iā€™m a little different than most, I donā€™t know. On my last one I secured my wifeā€™s buy-in on Sunday (actually she just had a momentary lapse of stern opposition but I took that as permission) and I was rolling home from the dealership by lunchtime Tuesday. Monday was a holiday and they were closed.
Well within the year, Probably closer to spring. Working on making room in the garage for both of them currently and a few other pieces have to fall into place first. Just getting started on the research early. With winter coming up I wouldn't get much time to enjoy it between now and then anyway so figured patience is the game. Trust me I'd love to go out and do it today but It would be living outside until I could make some adjustments. I'm also curious to see if the S650 will tick any of my boxes.

My leaning right now is for sure the Mach being the best option for me. I do have one concern there though. Are the 21/22s tunable yet? I feel like I remember reading somewhere they weren't. Not a deal breaker since I don't plan to do any major mods but I like knowing I have the ability too.

I've found a few PP2s localish to me for decent deals. I'm not terribly picky on Color as I wrap vehicles on the side lol, So really my only must haves are the digital dash and heated/cooled seats.

As much as I love the Shelby I think I've already ruled it out just for those reasons alone. I really would rather have the creature comfort stuff as this is going to be my main "touring" car from here on out. I fear if I get a Shelby I'm going to end up with two track cars and an angry significant other lol.

Thanks for the replys guys!

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Well within the year, Probably closer to spring. Working on making room in the garage for both of them currently and a few other pieces have to fall into place first. Just getting started on the research early. With winter coming up I wouldn't get much time to enjoy it between now and then anyway so figured patience is the game. Trust me I'd love to go out and do it today but It would be living outside until I could make some adjustments. I'm also curious to see if the S650 will tick any of my boxes.

My leaning right now is for sure the Mach being the best option for me. I do have one concern there though. Are the 21/22s tunable yet? I feel like I remember reading somewhere they weren't. Not a deal breaker since I don't plan to do any major mods but I like knowing I have the ability too.

I've found a few PP2s localish to me for decent deals. I'm not terribly picky on Color as I wrap vehicles on the side lol, So really my only must haves are the digital dash and heated/cooled seats.

As much as I love the Shelby I think I've already ruled it out just for those reasons alone. I really would rather have the creature comfort stuff as this is going to be my main "touring" car from here on out. I fear if I get a Shelby I'm going to end up with two track cars and an angry significant other lol.

Thanks for the replys guys!
Yes, the 21 and 22 can be tuned. The S650 won't be so lucky for now.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The MT-82 isn't bad. It's not as good as the Tremec, but for most people it will do just fine. Just make sure you hit redline on your 1-2 and 2-3 shift during the test drive to see if it will actually let you do it. If not, its likely going to be a problem child without spending a lot on various upgrades.

If you only want the Mustang for fun on the street, you don't even have to reach that high. A 400A PP1 car will scratch your itch just fine. What the PP2 adds (besides the wide ass tires) doesn't really rear its head much on the street, although I will say they are one of the best looking Mustang specs out there.

As far as the 350 versus the Mach 1, if we're talking a mountain warrior, as much as I love the Mach 1 I'd take the 350 all day. The Mach 1 is the best overall balance, but its just lacking that special Voodoo sauce. It's still a tough choice though. I've become a convert of active rev matching on downshifts, which the 350 doesn't get.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
At this point the 21s are more tunable than the 22s but the 22s seem to be catching up. In any event, what works on an 18-21 likely wonā€™t switch right over to a 22, yet anyway.

It sounds like youā€™re gonna be tracking the car so you can likely ignore what Iā€™m about to say. But it youā€™re just after a street car to drive in a highly spirited manner, be sure to drive all your options first to make sure you arenā€™t paying for more car than you need or can use. Of course, often the more capable cars come with more appealing cosmetics so thereā€™s always that.

OP
OP

StayinStock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
At this point the 21s are more tunable than the 22s but the 22s seem to be catching up. In any event, what works on an 18-21 likely wonā€™t switch right over to a 22, yet anyway.

It sounds like youā€™re gonna be tracking the car so you can likely ignore what Iā€™m about to say. But it youā€™re just after a street car to drive in a highly spirited manner, be sure to drive all your options first to make sure you arenā€™t paying for more car than you need or can use. Of course, often the more capable cars come with more appealing cosmetics so thereā€™s always that.
It won't be the primary purpose but I'm sure it will do a few HPDE's and Autocrosses. Mainly spirited back road driving since the C6 is going to become the purpose built Track car. The PP2 is pretty appealing to me in the fact that its just simple, but the Tremec is def tempting with the Mach. I like the front end styling of the PP2 a little bit more though.

Luckyyyyyyy!!! I have a PP2 but I want a C6!
If I wern't so hell bent on keeping it I'd say trade? haha. I have way to much money sunk into it already though to let it go. Its a 13 GS with an Cam FBO build and full LG suspension/coilovers. Tons of fun but its becoming less and less comfortable to take on a long drive. Love the gotta have it green on yours, Green is my color for sure!

The Vette in question:
IMG_1178.JPG
IMG_0476.JPG

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
It won't be the primary purpose but I'm sure it will do a few HPDE's and Autocrosses. Mainly spirited back road driving since the C6 is going to become the purpose built Track car. The PP2 is pretty appealing to me in the fact that its just simple, but the Tremec is def tempting with the Mach. I like the front end styling of the PP2 a little bit more though.

If I wern't so hell bent on keeping it I'd say trade? haha. I have way to much money sunk into it already though to let it go. Its a 13 GS with an Cam FBO build and full LG suspension/coilovers. Tons of fun but its becoming less and less comfortable to take on a long drive. Love the gotta have it green on yours, Green is my color for sure!

The Vette in question:
IMG_1178.JPG
IMG_0476.JPG
Man that thing is beautiful and a unique color! Wrapped? It looks SICK!

Sponsored
OP
OP

StayinStock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
Man that thing is beautiful and a unique color! Wrapped? It looks SICK!
Thanks Man! Yep its a wrap, Oracle Fir Tree Green Metallic. Like I said its a blast to drive just not very comfortable for more than an hour. I drove it down to tail of the dragon this spring from Northern VA and by the time I made it to Tennessee I was pretty over it lol. Had a blast with it while I was there but the highway was pretty brutal.

Goterr0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I agree with the above. The MT-82 isn't as bad as people make it out of. The gearing for 18+ sucks a bit with it, but mine has been supercharged banging gears for 30,000 miles and its solid.

OP
OP

StayinStock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
I will say after driving my buddy's PP2 with the MT82 It shifts like butter. Probably one of the best 6 speeds I've ever driven as far as feel. I guess I need to go drive a Mach to feel the Tremec. I def don't plan to abuse it either way so I'm not terribly scared of it. Just more of a worry than an all out deterrent

FordMustacheGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Without knowing your financial situation, I vote for Mach 1. I think the only reason to get the GT350 is if you absolutely must have the Voodoo engine.

You mentioned rev-matching being a selling point for you - I have no idea how well that would or would not work on a Tremec that you install aftermarket.

If you buy a PP2, make sure that you are 100% happy with the transmission of the specific car that you are driving. MT-82s vary quite a bit from unit to unit. Iā€™ve had one for 5 years and itā€™s been great both on the street and on track but Iā€™m sure youā€™ve read plenty about the bad ones.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
mach 1, 6 speed, 770a package. Done. Sounds great, rev matching, tremec, heated/cooled seats, dash. Comfortable with lots of room.
Sponsored