• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Predictions for S650 Shelby

K_philly46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Would like to see what y’all think the S650 Shelby will look like. Will it be a 3.5 eco boost hybrid? Will it be a variation of the voodoo? Awd? Stick? Curious what a y’all think.
Sponsored

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
Since the Mustang is not getting a completely new platform I really think they just have to go hybrid V8 to get above the performance of the current models. Having electric AWD would give the car a good boost to accelerate from standing still, which is always nice for quarter mile tests.

Jason304

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350 2016 Ram 2500 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Unless it has a V8 and three pedals, I’m not interested. Would like to see a boosted voodoo from the factory so the warranty isn’t voided.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
If they were going to boost the Voodoo, they would have done it for the GT500. I don't think we'll see Voodoo again in any shape or form.

But, keeping an manual/V8 option is critical for Mustang and I think (or at least hope) that'll be a safe bet.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer ST, 2001 Avalon
I want a 350R on steroids. Keep the engine but with Viper ACR amounts of aero.
They gave the 500 a good amount of aero but made it a fat pig.

Goals: 9000rpm redline, 3500-3600 lbs, 40-50% body weight in downforce at 160mph, under $100k

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive

Goals: 9000rpm redline, 3500-3600 lbs, 40-50% body weight in downforce at 160mph, under $100k

Nice specs but at $100K you might as well consider buying a used 911 GT3... It's a Porsche, it revs up to 9000rpm and is the better track/race car...

I like the GT350 and the GT350R but at a hundred grad it’s just well overpriced. The 2016 GT350 did start at 49995$ and the R at 63495$. A 2020 had a MSRP of 59140$ (GT350) and 74630$ (GT350R).

I think it’s just ridiculous how expensive they have become. In increase of 20% for the GT350 in just four years is bonkers! Considering the R the situation is even worse (on the used market…) So if you are willing to spend that much money on a FORD you will get a GT350R IF there will be one ;)

I just have a bad feeling about the overall S650 pricing. The car should become cheaper not more and more expensive. In Europe the base price of a regular GT is already 50K… Regular GT at 60K incoming (EU), GT350 (US only) at 80K and the GT350R at $100K...
I hope not.

Mghoward74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
The new Shelby should be and AWD electric vehicle. For those wanting to stay manual, kiss that ship good bye. If I’m not mistaken there’s an article saying Ford is not producing anymore manuals anyway.

Face it, an electric Ford, running 350-500 miles on a full charge, making over 1400 rwhp, 0-60 under 1.99 seconds, fully digital, faster than any car whether gasoline or electric. So what it’s going to cost 100k. I bet most of you have spent a 100k total or close to on your pride and joy.

edit: with soft closing doors, trunk and hood too.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
The new Shelby should be and AWD electric vehicle. For those wanting to stay manual, kiss that ship good bye. If I’m not mistaken there’s an article saying Ford is not producing anymore manuals anyway.

Face it, an electric Ford, running 350-500 miles on a full charge, making over 1400 rwhp, 0-60 under 1.99 seconds, fully digital, faster than any car whether gasoline or electric. So what it’s going to cost 100k. I bet most of you have spent a 100k total or close to on your pride and joy.

edit: with soft closing doors, trunk and hood too.
I bet that the S650 will have manual options. TheS650 isn't an all new Mustang "just" an evolution of the current gen. Why not keeping the manual if it sells well and has a market? S750 will be a different talk but that's roughly 8 years from now...

Ford doesn't have such a car. They have a 1400hp "engineer sample" that might run a couple of miles and they have the Mach-e with ~300 miles. The Tesla claim of 1.99seconds is utterly garbage as is almost everything from that company. They measure 6-60 MPH and do all kinds of weird stuff to make their numbers look impressive. Besides, if the 1400HP engineer sample would be able to do all your mentioned numbers it would still aim for a completely different market. Name it Mustang Cobra Jet, name it GT1000 or what so ever. For most people a Mustang is not “all about the numbers”. EV’s have impressive acceleration but that gets boring after a while. It’s nice to be able to do it occasionally but apart from that an EV has almost nothing else to offer. I would argue that most people are in for the V8 – not the HP, not the “new tech” but for actually driving a car.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Agreed, I'm expecting a hybrid for S650, but a full EV Mustang won't come until S750.

Mghoward74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I bet that the S650 will have manual options. TheS650 isn't an all new Mustang "just" an evolution of the current gen. Why not keeping the manual if it sells well and has a market? S750 will be a different talk but that's roughly 8 years from now...

The beginnings of the thread is..... ".........., curious to what yall think?" Therefore this is what I think SHOULD happen and what I'd like to see.

Ford doesn't have such a car. They have a 1400hp "engineer sample" that might run a couple of miles and they have the Mach-e with ~300 miles.

Ford does have that car/engineer sample it is/was the "Mach-E". It's just a shame the 1400hp version was not mass produce. And no that car doesn't just get a few miles before having to be recharged.

The Tesla claim of 1.99seconds is utterly garbage as is almost everything from that company.

Not sure if you ever driven or even been inside a Tesla, but if you have, you'd probably say different! I've driven the Model S performance and it does 0-60 in 2.4 seconds guarantee. What car do you know can accelerate faster than that? And, I haven't talked about the Plaid or Plaid Plus version yet. I actually take offense to your statement cause I own a Tesla, that you refer to as a piece of garbage. Does your car have self driving mode? Record events that happen around the vehicle while driving or Parked? Does your car park itself? Drive itself? Can you watch movies/Netflix, or play games while parked? I'll wait.... , Oh, my garbage Tesla does.

They measure 6-60 MPH and do all kinds of weird stuff to make their numbers look impressive. Besides, if the 1400HP engineer sample would be able to do all your mentioned numbers it would still aim for a completely different market.

You'd market it exactly like Tesla. You have an entry level (model 3 vs eco-boost), A mid level (X/Y vs Mustang GT/Mach-E), a performance level (Model S vs GT350/R), and finally a high performance (Plaid/Plaid Plus vs Cobra Jet/GT1000 as you call it). So what market is not covered here.

For most people a Mustang is not “all about the numbers”. EV’s have impressive acceleration but that gets boring after a while. It’s nice to be able to do it occasionally but apart from that an EV has almost nothing else to offer. I would argue that most people are in for the V8 – not the HP, not the “new tech” but for actually driving a car.
Do you really believe what you're saying??? I'm going to address each sentence accordingly.
1). It's most definitely about the numbers. Why do some drive Gt350 vs GT? GT vs Eco? uh, numbers.....
2). How does acceleration get boring? I'll never get bored out performing/accelerating a Porsche GT3, GTR's, GT350/R, ZLE Camaro and the list keeps going and growing.
3). I just told you what Tesla has to offer, which is what all the EV's are moving towards
4). Ask any V8 driver why a he/she drives a V8, definitely not for mileage....Its for HORSEPOWER!!

I also drive a 2018 401A GT that makes over 1k rwhp. So I kinda think I can speak on the subject of high powered V8's and Performance EV's

Oh, and let me add that in the very near future pretty much all EV's will have 500 plus mile range. My Gt barely get 250 miles per tank.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302

Sounds like you want a C8 Z06.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
I just have a bad feeling about the overall S650 pricing. The car should become cheaper not more and more expensive. In Europe the base price of a regular GT is already 50K… Regular GT at 60K incoming (EU), GT350 (US only) at 80K and the GT350R at $100K...
I hope not.
Yeah I think with the Bullitt and now the Mach 1 they are really testing out how high they can push the price. Even though I really like the Mach 1 mid-60k€ is insane for not even having the Handling Package. You can easily get a slightly used GT350 or ZL1 for the money. I paid 40k€ for my equipped GT in 2015.
I am worried that the S650 with Hybrid will also be a mid-60k€ car. Sorry but cars from Flatrock just can't hold up the quality to demand such a price. I think the biggest selling point of the Mustang is that he is really affordable even compared to getting a Golf R.
Does your car have self driving mode? Record events that happen around the vehicle while driving or Parked? Does your car park itself? Drive itself? Can you watch movies/Netflix, or play games while parked? I'll wait.... , Oh, my garbage Tesla does.
Besides the recording of the surroundings none of these are features I am interested in a car. I know the industry is pushing this as the next big thing, but I am always looking for a drivers car. A car that connects with me emotionally when driving.
Never ever when I sat in my Mustang back then or in my current Camaro I think "Oh this is boring, I don't want to drive anymore". Pushing the start button, hearing and feeling the car come to life after stressfuly day of work is the best way to get your head clear again.

Autonomous features are fine for people who actually don't care about driving, that just want to get from A to B and in the best case don't even have to put their phone away for the time. It's an safety improvement for all if these distracted drivers or old people can let the car drive and have their mobility. So put this stuff in all the boring family SUV cars. But in a Mustang? Who cares.

And for the 0-60 numbers. Yeah electric cars deliver great accelaration. But it's the only thing they deliver. It's the "I show my friends what the car can do" thing. When you are not pushing the pedal there is nothing else be exited about. The Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, etc all deliver so much fun even if you are just standing at the redlight and hear the V8 rumble or just cruising through the traffic. And if you want you can push the cars through corners, feel that RWD, using the high revs and still drive all day. With an electric car you pretty much end up rarely even think about pushing the car since it demolishes your range.

To get to a point here: I totally see Ford going for a hybrid. Get the acceleration to a mid-3s to 60 by adding electric power to the front, making the car AWD. But for full electric it's just too soon. Especially for the Shelby I don't see any point in adding self driving stuff or being able to watch tv.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Absolutely right, Ace, the Mustang is an emotional event. It's never been about numbers for me, and I'm sure for a lot of other Mustang owners too. And the V8 is a massive part of that.

If S650 were offered with a n/a V8 with 500hp and a 0-60 of 3.5 seconds or a 6 cylinder hybrid with 600hp ad a 0-60 of 2.5 seconds, I'd still take the slower V8

I love just driving around town with the windows down (stereo off) listening to the V8 reverberate off buildings. Even the kids get it.......the amount of times I've been told to "rev it" proves sound is a very important part of the package.

The S550 Ecoboost is no longer sold in the UK. Sales were 80-20 in favour of the V8 again, proving enthusiasts want the V8 fix.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
I can recommend watching this video with Tadge Juechter about the C8 at the 38:50 mark. They invited customers early in development to ask them about certain ideas in which direction to go. They asked how they felt about a 4cyl or V6 Corvette and were roundly booed by their customers.

I think for the Mustang it is similiar. Removing the V8 will hit the fans pretty hard. I still see Ford going for a V6 hybrid to overall being able to sell the car in the long term internationally. Ford Europe for example already announced limiting all cars to Hybrids from 2026. But a Hybrid V8 might be the solution that more fans would be happy about. Or at least still offer a pure ICE V8 for NA market.
Sponsored