Sponsored

Precision-Turbonetics NX2 turbo EcoBoost build thread

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Convertible (sold)
Well, after 6 revisions I was told the numbers look good so I'm all set. Time to make a few changes to the transmission tuning.
Sponsored

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Next mod. E50 fuel and 3.55 gears!
I thought about 3.55s then found cars with the Premium package have 3.31s so it wouldn't really be worth the expense. I thought about alternative fuels and meth. I don't want to get into it that deep. At this point the car is fun to drive and I enjoy doing that. I enjoy it enough that I' ve been going through 2-3 tanks of gas each week. My "daily driver" that doesn't get used much anymore (a Sonata Hybrid) would only need to be filled up every 2 weeks.

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i dont actually own the cars, i tune them. My clients have gone from 12.5-12.6@108-109 to 12.0-11.9@114-115, we dot have e85 at the pumps, but we do have some pumps that sell 100 octane fuel and thats enough octane to get all the stock turbo can give so they dont use water/meth injection without the big turbo.

We got a car without meth to go 12.2 but fuel pressure from the hpfp started falling at that point i believe that car was around 390whp.
We're pretty much done with the NX2 tune and have been making a few tweaks to the transmission. I finally had time to log a 1/4 mile run on the street last night. it looks like I was doing 108-109 at the end. I was kind of expecting to be in the 112-113 range with a 93 tune. What do you think? I told my tuner that I want the car to be reliable. That's more important than it setting a track record so there is problem some power left on the table.

Overall I'd say it's a little soft on the low end. There isn't much happening if I hammer it from about 1500. I have to wait until the RPMs crest 3000. It pulls nicely from 3500+. Much more fun than the stock turbo on the highway. I can drop down to 6th (A10) at 70 and hammer it. That gets it over 100 in no time.

mJolnir

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
We're pretty much done with the NX2 tune and have been making a few tweaks to the transmission. I finally had time to log a 1/4 mile run on the street last night. it looks like I was doing 108-109 at the end. I was kind of expecting to be in the 112-113 range with a 93 tune. What do you think? I told my tuner that I want the car to be reliable. That's more important than it setting a track record so there is problem some power left on the table.

Overall I'd say it's a little soft on the low end. There isn't much happening if I hammer it from about 1500. I have to wait until the RPMs crest 3000. It pulls nicely from 3500+. Much more fun than the stock turbo on the highway. I can drop down to 6th (A10) at 70 and hammer it. That gets it over 100 in no time.
i think that is an ok number, ecoboost engines are very octane dependent engines so you are probably runing a conservative tune that will let you enjoy for a very long time without issues, the soft low end can be fixed by changing the torque converter but your fuel economy might suffer a bit.

FYI:
Since the last time i wrote here we have gone 11.5's @ 122 MPH with the nx2 on a stock engine.

Sponsored

DavidEcobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue 2.3T/AT Mustang
i think that is an ok number, ecoboost engines are very octane dependent engines so you are probably runing a conservative tune that will let you enjoy for a very long time without issues, the soft low end can be fixed by changing the torque converter but your fuel economy might suffer a bit.

FYI:
Since the last time i wrote here we have gone 11.5's @ 122 MPH with the nx2 on a stock engine.
What kind of fuel are you using?

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
100 octane fuel + 100% meth
I think that's where the main difference is. I'm just running a 93 tune. I talked to my tuner about it. He said he could put more in it but likes keeping a decent safety window. He also pointed out that I get a slight knock count when air temps start to approach 110 degrees. That got me thinking about running meth so I've been doing some research.

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
My main concern with meth is Ive seen people who let the tank go dry, or the nozzle fails and hand grenade their engine, so Im avoiding it.

E30 would be an easier setup to go with, especially if you get a bluetooth ethonol content tester and wire that in.

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
My main concern with meth is Ive seen people who let the tank go dry, or the nozzle fails and hand grenade their engine, so Im avoiding it.
The better systems, like Aquamist, include tank level sensors and flow monitoring to prevent those issues.

Sponsored

mJolnir

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang

E30 would be an easier setup to go with, especially if you get a bluetooth ethonol content tester and wire that in.
If you are pushing past 400whp o a stock engine you should have that tune for racing only, and have a daily drive tune were you wot need water/meth inj, you can also go to port injection and just e85 all the time.

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did a search and found the closest station with E85 is about 40 miles away so meth would be my only option if I decide to kick it up a notch. Like Hellman, I'm also concerned with what would happen if a component of that system stops working or gets clogged. The car would be tuned to rely on that flow. Other than that, I wouldn't have a problem filling the tank when I fill up with fuel.

dausmus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost PP
Water injection shouldn't need a tune like meth does. But then again....water is used for just cooling off the charge temps really, not octane boosting

mJolnir

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
Water injection shouldn't need a tune like meth does. But then again....water is used for just cooling off the charge temps really, not octane boosting
It doesnt matter, the O2 will correct your fueling even if it is pure meth, you just need to ask your tuner to let the knock sensor add some more timing

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP

I would've gone with E85 but unfortunately, there aren't any E85 stations nearby. You can add low fluid and low flow sensors to trigger a failsafe. I have mine set up to cut the boost to the WGA spring rate when the failsafe activates.
Sponsored