Sponsored

Precision-Turbonetics NX2 turbo EcoBoost build thread

rvercitypony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford mustang Ecoboost
Just installed this turbo. Really happy with it. Although I'm on my initial tune from Adam, the car pulls all the way to redline. My E30 datalog showed consistent boost as well, peaking at a little over 25 lbs. and staying over 23 lbs at redline. I will see what happens with the next tune revision. Also, turbo lag is insignificant compared to the stock unit.
Sponsored

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
Anyone still running this turbo? Any new problems arise?

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
Ive done all of the research on your turbo and it sounds great. My problem is Ive learned the block itself cant handle more than 400 whp, and with a good 93 + e80 tune I can get to around 380 from what Ive seen. How do I justify dropping in a 1700 dollar turbo for minimal gains? I definitely do not want to build a whole motor for my daily!

Deleted member

Ive done all of the research on your turbo and it sounds great. My problem is Ive learned the block itself cant handle more than 400 whp, and with a good 93 + e80 tune I can get to around 380 from what Ive seen. How do I justify dropping in a 1700 dollar turbo for minimal gains? I definitely do not want to build a whole motor for my daily!
You can push to around 450whp/450whtrq on stock block with good fuel and a good tune.

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
You can push to around 450whp/450whtrq on stock block with good fuel and a good tune.
Ive been seeing people say 400 whp is the magic number and if you go above it....one bad tank of gas = boom. Are you saying stock block and stock turbo for 450whp?

Sponsored

Deleted member

Ive been seeing people say 400 whp is the magic number and if you go above it....one bad tank of gas = boom. Are you saying stock block and stock turbo for 450whp?
Stock block yes, stock turbo no. You won't make 450whp on stock turbo. 450 can be done safely with aux fuel and a E30 mix or E85 and a solid tune. As long as you have all the necessary supporting mods and aren't flooring it at low engine speeds/high gear you can keep the block together. The problem isnt as much whp as it is torque. Over 450wtrq and you'll see alot of cylinder flexing.

400whp is the general consensus for pump gas.

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
I’m interested to see the data. Can you please provide a link or an overview in this thread? Also very curious for spool data on 91oct.

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
Who did you learn this from? We've been modifying these cars the second they came out. Our shop car has been making 450 since it left the dealership on stock block never opened to this very day.
We have a customer making 500 WHEEL and 600 WHEEL TORQUE for over 2 years. Not to mention 100s of cars making over 400 WHP on this turbo and our tune.
For some reason, I can not figure out for the life of me why others have a misconception of this platform when we've performed countless numbers of hours into providing real data and then I get met statements like these.
Im not doubting your turbo build, Ive heard its amazing. Im doubting the open block that ford decided to make for the 2.3L. If I tune for 450 whp on a e30 tune I feel like Im going to blow my engine. Unless you are telling me your shop car literally has a dropped in turbo with tune and normal bolt ons and its pushing 450 fine.

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
or some reason, I can not figure out for the life of me why others have a misconception of this platform when we've performed countless numbers of hours into providing real data and then I get met statements like these.
I haven't seen any data. Opinions galore - but no data.

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Convertible (sold)
I’ve had mine for about 10 months. FBO, NX2 and E30. I was told the quality of the 93 I was using isn’t that good. I picked up both 5 tenths and 5 mph by going to the E30 tune. I also have an E40 tune. I have them track tested that one. The car feels great.

The only issue, which might just be one of those things, I have a leak with the oil return line needs to turbo. I took the bolt out then reattached it. I’m going to change the o-ring next. I’m a little concerned with tightening it too much then stripping it. I’ll pull a turbo if that doesn’t work. That bolt is a PITA. It’s all done by feel. Can’t see it.

Sponsored

Cmw458

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow black ford mustang ecoboost premium PP
What the cost of install on one of these by a shop anyone know?

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Ecoboost (NX2)
Put the NX2 on this weekend. Car runs fine, didnt even need to wait for it to adapt or anything, just worked out the box and Im using a Roush Stage 1 tune.

Its quite obvious the ECM is holding things back because the car is very quick to hit 1 Bar but holds boost very stable (probably just letting out any excess via waste). So its basically able to hit the pinned max boost of my tune all the time.

Only issue ive noticed so far, is some off throttle compressor surge (the chirping sound that you often hear on JDM cars). Some people say its bad but most people including Precision themselves say it isnt a big issue, the NX2 has a ported compressor cover to ease any loading on the turbo from this.

Ive been told a tune can fix it on the stock bypass valve, im not sure the mechanics behind how that would be possible but i trust the tuners know what they are talking about. Anyway car runs beautifully, the only thing now is to make sure it can last a long time.

Cmw458

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow black ford mustang ecoboost premium PP
I wanted to make the move to the nx2 but I'm losing all my faith in the 2.3l....cars been in the shop now for damn near a month with misfires that my dealer can't seem to diagnose.

Deleted member

Put the NX2 on this weekend. Car runs fine, didnt even need to wait for it to adapt or anything, just worked out the box and Im using a Roush Stage 1 tune.

Its quite obvious the ECM is holding things back because the car is very quick to hit 1 Bar but holds boost very stable (probably just letting out any excess via waste). So its basically able to hit the pinned max boost of my tune all the time.

Only issue ive noticed so far, is some off throttle compressor surge (the chirping sound that you often hear on JDM cars). Some people say its bad but most people including Precision themselves say it isnt a big issue, the NX2 has a ported compressor cover to ease any loading on the turbo from this.

Ive been told a tune can fix it on the stock bypass valve, im not sure the mechanics behind how that would be possible but i trust the tuners know what they are talking about. Anyway car runs beautifully, the only thing now is to make sure it can last a long time.
If you want to the car to last, you need to get it tuned for the NX2, that Roush canned tune isn't gonna cut it.
Sponsored