Precision-Turbonetics NX2 turbo EcoBoost build thread

stormtrooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Man its been a few years since i been on here. But i still have the Eco. ITs currently on got the NX2 and Aux fuel kit. So its on full E. Car is on a moderate tune as Adam wants to keep it timid. Car runs really good! I feel like its right around 400hp. ITs beaten plenty of cars that made that or more. Also ive got alot of weight reduction. But Im possibly having Adam turn it up this weekend. Sar still has stock motor, currently on its 2nd. But i goping to see if Adam can bring in the power up top and keep it alive for a lil longer.
Sponsored

Cxp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB app
How is the lagginess with the NX2 compared to stock? With stock downpipe does it suck down low under 3500?

stormtrooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I didnt feel a difference with stock dp and exhaust when i had it on. Didnt really hurt. Wouldnt hurt to get a catless or a high flow catted dp though

Reactions: Cxp

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Convertible (sold)
I tend to do a lot of research before I make a large purchase. I did that when I bought the car and also before purchasing the NX2. One question that I could never get a solid answer to is what would I see for a performance gain if I replaced the stock turbo with this. One person said it’s good for a 100 horsepower increase. I doubted that and didn’t get a reply when I questioned that answer. In the end I went with it because I knew there would be a noticeable increase over stock. The car definitely pulls harder from about 4000 RPMs - redline. But what does that translate to when it comes to 1/4 performance or a real world horsepower increase? I can now answer the 1/4 mile question.

The car is a 2018 Mustang Premium A10. Performance mods before the NX2 were -

K+N Drop in filter
Airaid tube
NGK LTR7IX-11 (6510) 1-step colder Spark Plugs - Pre-gapped to TUNE+ Spec
CVF Aluminum Intercooler Charge Pipe Kit
MAP Billet Intercooler
MBRP 3” catted downpipe
Turbosmart 10# WGA
Cobb Accessport with custom tune from Ryan @ PD

Best run with these mods was -

60’ - 1.924
330’ - 5445
1/8 - 8.341
MPH - 84.93
1000 - 10.844
ET - 12.972
MPH - 105.79

I took the car to the track last night. The only thing different is the addition of the NX2 with the Precision WGA that comes with it. The car was tuned for the turbo. Shift points were bumped up a few hundred RPMs. I felt that was needed that before turbo upgrade. Even more with it.

Best run with the NX2 -

60’ - 1.948
330’ - 5.384
1/8 - 8.193
MPH - 87.55
1000 - 10.625
ET - 12.690
MPH - 108.87

Weather was pretty much the same both nights. I think it was about 10 degrees cooler last night. Charge Air Temps were in the ‘80s.

I was really hoping to see more than a 3 tenth/3 MPH improvement. I was driving to the track expecting to come back with timeslips in the low 12.50s or maybe a 12.49 @ 110 MPH. All of the runs were at 108 MPH so that was consistent. Other passes were 12.77, 12.78, 12.83, 12.86 and 12.88. The 12.8x passes were with a slightly higher 60’. The 12.69 was with the best hook. I’m not knocking the turbo but I expected more. 10HP is usually good for a tenth so in the end, it's about a 30HP increase? Hopefully this info will help others who are researching it before they make their purchase.

My E30 tune and ethanol testing kit arrived while I was at the track so I'll be putting them to use tomorrow.

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
MAP Billet Intercooler
I had charge temp issues with my stock location intercooler where on track (race track not dragstrip) I was seeing like 40c (not F!) over IAT temps on the straights, I upgraded the intercooler and that went away (10c over IAT at the same point of the same straight). Log your charge temps if you can and if they go crazy, they need to be lowered.

Sponsored

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
I tend to do a lot of research before I make a large purchase. I did that when I bought the car and also before purchasing the NX2. One question that I could never get a solid answer to is what would I see for a performance gain if I replaced the stock turbo with this. One person said it’s good for a 100 horsepower increase. I doubted that and didn’t get a reply when I questioned that answer. In the end I went with it because I knew there would be a noticeable increase over stock. The car definitely pulls harder from about 4000 RPMs - redline. But what does that translate to when it comes to 1/4 performance or a real world horsepower increase? I can now answer the 1/4 mile question.

The car is a 2018 Mustang Premium A10. Performance mods before the NX2 were -

K+N Drop in filter
Airaid tube
NGK LTR7IX-11 (6510) 1-step colder Spark Plugs - Pre-gapped to TUNE+ Spec
CVF Aluminum Intercooler Charge Pipe Kit
MAP Billet Intercooler
MBRP 3” catted downpipe
Turbosmart 10# WGA
Cobb Accessport with custom tune from Ryan @ PD

Best run with these mods was -

60’ - 1.924
330’ - 5445
1/8 - 8.341
MPH - 84.93
1000 - 10.844
ET - 12.972
MPH - 105.79

I took the car to the track last night. The only thing different is the addition of the NX2 with the Precision WGA that comes with it. The car was tuned for the turbo. Shift points were bumped up a few hundred RPMs. I felt that was needed that before turbo upgrade. Even more with it.

Best run with the NX2 -

60’ - 1.948
330’ - 5.384
1/8 - 8.193
MPH - 87.55
1000 - 10.625
ET - 12.690
MPH - 108.87

Weather was pretty much the same both nights. I think it was about 10 degrees cooler last night. Charge Air Temps were in the ‘80s.

I was really hoping to see more than a 3 tenth/3 MPH improvement. I was driving to the track expecting to come back with timeslips in the low 12.50s or maybe a 12.49 @ 110 MPH. All of the runs were at 108 MPH so that was consistent. Other passes were 12.77, 12.78, 12.83, 12.86 and 12.88. The 12.8x passes were with a slightly higher 60’. The 12.69 was with the best hook. I’m not knocking the turbo but I expected more. 10HP is usually good for a tenth so in the end, it's about a 30HP increase? Hopefully this info will help others who are researching it before they make their purchase.

My E30 tune and ethanol testing kit arrived while I was at the track so I'll be putting them to use tomorrow.
Thanks for that information, I have a new NX2 uninstalled and have been on the fence. This information really is eye opening. I too thought there would be more of spread.

Shows how good of a tune you had before turbo

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had charge temp issues with my stock location intercooler where on track (race track not dragstrip) I was seeing like 40c (not F!) over IAT temps on the straights, I upgraded the intercooler and that went away (10c over IAT at the same point of the same straight). Log your charge temps if you can and if they go crazy, they need to be lowered.
I have that set as one of the parameters on the Accessport I generally see about 15-20F over ambient. That's the one number I always. Air temp was in the upper 40s towards the end of the night. charge temps were in the 80s as I sat in the staging lanes.

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for that information, I have a new NX2 uninstalled and have been on the fence. This information really is eye opening. I too thought there would be more of spread.

Shows how good of a tune you had before turbo
My tuner said it might have something to do with the quality of fuel I have in my area. He said he had to dial back the boost and timing in the upper RPMs so that might be one of or the reason why it didn't run as fast as I expected. I'll be starting to use E30 today so I'll see how the car respond.

Cxp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB app
I am starting to think I should prioritize Meth since I live in Arizona and limited to 91 octane...

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol im bad and just dump the test mix in the trash can :bandit:. My local station that carries E85 constantly tests between 75-85% ethanol and i usually test once a month. That being said im not running E30 in every tank.

Its crazy how much power is pulled when the charge air temps get over 100*.
It tested at 67% when I filled up yesterday. I ended up using an extra gallon of E85 to make sure the mix was right.

Sponsored

Tjacker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
So I installed my NX2 a little over a month ago. Car feels like a different monster. But ever since my base tune I have been getting knock counts on my Ap and timing corrections. I have always went to the same Sunoco gas station for my 93 through the life of my car. Never had a problem. Also monitored the OAR and it stays at -1.0. I see maybe a 3 on knock count cylinder 3. Highest I think I seen was 4. I have went over it with my tuner and we are trying to figure out if it’s fuel or engine. I am on my 4th revision and still getting knock. I also have tried 3 different stations. Anyone else have similar problems???

mJolnir

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
So I installed my NX2 a little over a month ago. Car feels like a different monster. But ever since my base tune I have been getting knock counts on my Ap and timing corrections. I have always went to the same Sunoco gas station for my 93 through the life of my car. Never had a problem. Also monitored the OAR and it stays at -1.0. I see maybe a 3 on knock count cylinder 3. Highest I think I seen was 4. I have went over it with my tuner and we are trying to figure out if it’s fuel or engine. I am on my 4th revision and still getting knock. I also have tried 3 different stations. Anyone else have similar problems???
Low load knock is no problem, high load high boost knock is what will kill your engine, now 3 knock events is nothing and i wouldn't worry about it, if it is pulling 3 degrees of timing constantly then your tuner should fix it in the next revision

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
So Ive posted a couple of these before, but here is another Virtual Dyno output now that Ive added a bigger intercooler (Mishimoto to Whipple) and a Mishimoto Catted Downpipe with a 3" connection to my MBRP catback, which yes was cut to make that happen.

Stock was everything in my garage except Stock turbo, stock DP, Mishimoto Intercooler. I also switched out my old Mishimoto catch can for a UPR one.
NX2-2 is the same as stock, except for NX2 turbo added
NX2 - IC DP is the current mods in my garage link.

As you can see, it really opened up the top end. I did a track day last weekend and really loved it.

Turbooooo.PNG
I have a good idea, that dyno-chart is going to be a lot like the new 2.3 high performance engine w/larger turbo. Turbonetics has done a really good job here, such an easy (destressing) way to upgrade your power & torque. I think they both are going to be a hit on the streets.

Just want to see some highway bursts...

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12.30 2.jpg

Results from last night. The car is MUCH better with the E30 tune! I wanted to keep the comparison apples to apples so I was still on street tires. It's definitely harder to launch now. It will spin hard if I try anything more than 2200 RPMs. Sticky tires will get the car into the 11s but I'm really thinking about if it's worth the expense now. When I go through tech, the guy reminds me I'm not supposed to run faster than 13.49 but they haven't said anything during the night. I might see one other convertible at the track while I'm there. And that's just a guess so I think the car will start to stand out and they might ask me to slow down (not worth running then) or leave. Then it would be time to sell the tires.

My previous best with a conservative 93 tune was 12.69 @ 108.87 with a 1.94 60'. When you consider the slower 60', the car picked up 5 tenths and 5 MPH with the E30. That's a good bang for the buck mod! Just have a tune, mix the fuel then have fun!

The car weighed in at 3990 with me and 1/3 tank of fuel.

Overall I'm very happy with the results.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Congratulation, those are very respectable times
Sponsored