Sponsored

Pre-owned rental ecoboost premium?!

delerium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Corolla, '04 Toyota Sequoia
Hi guys,

I've been lurking through these forums and have to say there's a plethora of great information available here, hence I'm posting this to get some opinions.

There's a 2015 Ecoboost premium for sale for $23k, with 17k miles. Carfax shows the car was used as a rental. When I test drove the car, it felt loud from the inside. Now, I've driven three ecoboosts before, and none of them seemed to be that loud. They had another ecoboost in stock (for 25k, 15k miles, leased vehicle) and that seemed much quieter from the inside than the other ecoboost.
to give you an idea of what I'm talking about: when you accelerate, imagine theres a tiny window in the passenger foot well that's left open. almost as if the car had a little bov adapter that was open all the time, if that makes sense.

What do you guys think? exterior and interior wise, car was in top notch condition. Still under factory warranty. dealer kept insisting nothing was wrong (obviously), and that even if there was later on, I can get it repaired under factory warranty.
Sponsored

draco24433

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
I would certainly go with the quiet on if I was going down that road. The problem with rental is that they do, at times, get the living crap beat out of them. But, at the end of the day what matters is what you want and feel is right for you. Good hunting!

OP
OP

delerium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would certainly go with the quiet on if I was going down that road. The problem with rental is that they do, at times, get the living crap beat out of them. But, at the end of the day what matters is what you want and feel is right for you. Good hunting!
Thank you for your reply - I am leaning towards the quieter one as well. I forgot to mention, both are automatic. I offered the dealer $24k on it, 25 seems a bit steep specially for pre owned. I was getting a new 2015 with 20" foundry wheels stick shift for $26.4, but then it was a stick shift which I'm not too fond of. Any word on what that noise might be? wind or maybe the turbo?

draco24433

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
Make sure that you research the price of the vehicle through Kbb and NADA so that you have a good idea about. Also, if you can, unless buying cash, have your pre approved loan before going tot the dealer. As far as the noise, I wouldn't know as I have the 5.0 and to be honest I am not that familiar with the 2.3 to give you an honest opinion. I have a few friends with the 2.3 and they love their car. I am sure you will too.

speedaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black base GT
I wouldn't buy a used turbocharged car unless I knew the complete detailed history of the car and know the driving habits/style of the previous owner(s). My previous car was a 2013 Mazdaspeed 3 (2.3L turbo DISI aka direct injection, very similar to EB 2.3L), and having been in the Mazdaspeed community for the past years, I've seen my fair share of molested and beat MS3s being sold and bought by many, only to see heavy repair costs (turbo, VVT, engine/trans rebuilds) add up in the first year of ownership.

Knowing this and that most people beat the living crap out of rental cars, and that turboed cars require particular driving ethics, that possibility would be quickly scratched off my list of choices.

Hopefully you can find a used one at the dealer with good history (ideally talk with the previous owner) or a modded one from a member online switching to a GT for a good price.

Sponsored

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 DIB, 2018 HD Iron 1200
I would be very careful with any rental mustang. To give you some perspective, I was a first time buyer and negotiated slightly under 24k for my V6 with an auto. I don't think it is unrealistic to expect ~25.5k or less for a new eco w/ auto. IMO I would buy a new one if they are pricing them used at 24k. End of the month is coming up so dealerships will be hot to sell anything on their lot. The cost savings don't justify the potential for repairs you might face from all the abuse the thing withstood during its service life. Also the warranty is shorter by however many miles are on it.

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I didn't notice you said premium, still I would not take the risk for the savings. Leather isn't that important to me to sacrifice reliability.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
A leased vehicle of this age will have probably been used by one owner where an ex-rental car will have been driven by a zillion people with lead feet. Easy choice.

That being said I wouldn't buy either and search for a good deal on a new 2015. For that small a difference I would never buy a used car.

OP
OP

delerium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys, great information. I missed out on the 72 mo 0%, that was a pretty legit deal when I was in the market. Maybe they'll have something similar for the year end deals? I'm trying to get this in and pay at least half off before my med school starts in 2017. I guess i'll wait and look for more deals or year end on the new ones.

Again, many thanks!

OP
OP

delerium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's what warranty is for.
I was thinking about that too.. but I'm guessing the rental will have long lasting effects on components that might show up after the warranty is gone? I'm not well informed on these cars.

Sponsored

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I was thinking about that too.. but I'm guessing the rental will have long lasting effects on components that might show up after the warranty is gone? I'm not well informed on these cars.
Yes that is entirely possible. Think of the extra wear on the cylinders from people revving the crap out of it, tire wear, etc. When the car has 1/2 of the bumper to bumper gone when you buy it from the rental company you are asking for trouble. Think of it this way, the chance that these weren't abused is about as equal as winning the lottery.

EE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan
For what it's worth, I bought an 08 rental versa (49k miles on it) in 2011 and am now up to 155k miles with zero issues minus the CD changer giving out and door handle coming off (designed to fail) which are common issues among these cars and have nothing to do with it being a rental. Other than that I have had ZERO mechanical or electrical issues and I've had minimal maintenance (oil changes, wiper fluid, etc) performed on it thus far. I'd imagine the engine was flogged to hell and back again on a regular basis since it's so underpowered. Heck, I flog it myself almost every day. =)

Midnight_LMR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I got mine with a bunch of extras on it and tire and paint warranty for $25k with 52 miles on it. I wouldn't advise buying this car used unless the price was sub $20k otherwise im with [MENTION=17395]ultimate warrior[/MENTION]

New 2016 ecoboosts are $23k here why are u shopping used?
Sponsored