Sponsored

Pre cut PPF…anyone tried?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I did some of the flatter areas around the rear fenders, here are my experiences :

I have a habit of putting off jobs that scare me a little or I have zero experience of, but after kicking something up and it hitting the rear quarter (buffed out) and taking a chip out of the rear wheel spoke (currently filling it with paint ready for polishing it back), I decided it was time to finally pull my finger out and start on the PPF.

Upper and lower rear fenders done with the Anchor Room kit - from the top left of this photo to the bottom right :

65-F93-E7-C-3117-4-F16-93-D4-F36832-DD7654.jpg

I washed, clayed, washed, wet all the work area down and then started.

I got the edges at the front lined up well (all the close up photos have been taken at angles to try to highlight the edges) :

67727-FC5-B00-D-44-A5-A67-E-745307227-FA9.jpg

The rear edges didn’t line up quite as well, bottom piece could have been a few mm longer and with a bit more curve :

19-C64-B80-230-C-4-EAC-8-FFE-6-C24-B50092-F8.jpg

Arch lined up well :

E9-F86-F81-944-E-40-BE-BEB2-3880-AB9-BC6-C6.jpg

I found tucking the bottom edge between the plastic sill a little tricky, but a credit card worked really well :

05-C1-FA99-F54-D-4-CA2-95-F3-B4-B0-CF6-B8-C96.jpg

Really close up view of the fender seam and PPF edges :

A381121-B-5344-4203-8-D5-D-3-DD184-BA00-FB.jpg

Overall I was really happy with the kit and installation. I have six of these dots in two different areas :

2-FBDBAA4-9-DB2-4-C2-E-AAF6-5107-A96-AD1-BB.jpg

But I can press them and they temporarily go. I’m hoping that the sun will dry them out and eliminate them.

Tools and work area :

AFD1-B63-E-7102-4-F6-F-B26-F-E2350517918-F.jpg

I didn’t need anything more, but I couldn’t have done it well with anything less. Heat gun and silicone squeezes were absolutely essential.

In reality and from most angles the kit would be invisible to most people. The most noticeable edge is the top one, just under the reflection of the microfibre on the bucket top :

1-B8-B1316-0206-4-CC2-A531-8-CDF9-AE9-BCC9.jpg

The reflections in the PPF aren’t as sharp as in the paint, but for where the PPF is, it’s really not an issue :like:

This is the type of PPF used :

3-FB235-D7-AC1-A-4-FC7-9-E4-E-31-BC087-E2-A49.jpg

I’m defo not as quick as what Jason is on his video’s though, it took me about 1.5 hours to do that one side including getting the kit out, washing, claying and packing away etc.

I should be a little quicker on the other side but A) the breeze started to get up and b) family time beckoned so that’s a job for another day :like:

I’ve also got PPF for behind the rear wheels but I don’t think I will fit that - seems pointless with the splash guards ?

I’m on the fence about the stuff I have for the bottom of the doors.

The trunk edge piece will get added if I start to use the trunk for anything more than my laptop … lol

Having said that, I’ve just paid off some ramp time with beer that came from a trip to Asda (Walmart) :

742-C48-A0-BECE-449-A-8-D01-695240-B92649.jpg

I genuinely didn’t see the connection with my friends taste of beer and my car until I uploaded that photo yesterday … :giggle:

WD :like:
Got the left side upper and lower rear fender PPF applied, the trickiest piece :

AA7-F73-AC-C43-C-4524-9-EF5-0649747-E3342.jpg

Finished :

32713011-D69-D-4215-96-B7-B9-FAC10-E970-E.jpg

There are a few small bubbles :

E382-F350-C730-42-CC-A225-1-EDEC964402-A.jpg

These being the worst :

87-BE3-BC6-E54-C-4-A04-BA5-E-90-F74153-FECA.jpg

But as the small bubbles in the pieces I fitted last week are completely gone, I’m hopeful these will go too :like:

I also got the right side drivers door done, this was the easiest piece I’ve fitted to date :

2929328-C-A2-AC-4-BDC-84-B0-7-A96803-E2-C9-F.jpg

Right side now finished :

6-AF798-D8-6299-4-C0-F-A954-A57482541-F6-D.jpg

I ran out of slip solution at that point so the other door will have to wait for another day.

I will have some PPF trimming to do on the other side, to make it fit correctly around the factory supplied paint flaw on the door bottom … :crazy:

Here’s how the PPF fits the front of the door :

FD811898-1-C60-40-B6-A7-A7-A8-D7-DABE1-AFC.jpg

And here’s the paint flaw on the other door that I will need to provide clearance for :

4-BF33-F94-6124-417-E-82-D1-2035-EFB45-E9-E.jpg

No Mustang time today, we have a christening (my other half’s a god parent) so my only car related job will be washing her car so it looks presentable on the church car park … lol

Just to finish the topic of PPF, the odd little bubbles that were under the film after installation have now completely vanished :like:
Sponsored

Fishtales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2001 Harley, 1964 Volkswagen Beetle, 2016 Toyota Avalon
I'd try the rear bumper step first. Short money and you can evaluate your skills and the process.
If it were me, I'd do the entire front package and rear quarters package in addition to the step.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
You have paid 60k for the car (and will pay 50k in fuel 🤣🤣🤣🤣)

Pay someone 2.5k to do the job... like Xpel extended kit

If you are going to any area do rocker panels, lower portion of the doors and in front and behind the rear wheels as a start as those are the high impact areas were damage can be inflicted by the car itself which is evertime the wheels roll

Last edited:

StrongFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, MT, Deep Impact Blue, 401A
Yes, I've used a couple of pre-cut kits. It takes patience, but certainly doable if you put your mind to it. I did have to re-buy and replace some pieces that I wasn't happy with, but most places will give you discount on replacement pieces.

I have used Anchor Room, but found their OraGuard material less pliable/forgiving than ScotchGuard Pro, which I later applied on my wife's SUV (a pre-cut kit from ebay). Start with something small to gain some experience and technique to see if it's for you.

Follow instructions for the slip solution and use it generously while your applying the PPF. Take your time to work as much water/air out as possible as you go and keep an eye your edge fitment. If you see bubbles after your first squeege, lift the PPF back up, respray, and squeege again. You'll probably still have some bubbles, but don't be overly quick to pop them, give it a few days and most will dissipate, especially with sun exposure.

If you're not happy in the end, it peels off clean. Consider it a cost of education, then try again, or consult a pro. I would definitely install PPF again on my future vehicles.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
My perception, from what I saw on the internet and in a real life (before I chose my detailer, I visited two shops) is that the PPF is as good as is the shop doing it. Pre-cutting is nice but doing it right is much more than cutting the right shape. I saw two guys struggling to cover some Porsche back with a pre-cut piece. I saw pics and vids of wrong application even from an authorized shop.

I mean if you feel for it, go for it, nothing beats the first hand experience. But whether it gets cheaper in the end than having some pro do it remains to be seen :wink:

Sponsored

OP
OP
cheeser

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 4Runners and RAV4's
I went ahead and purchased the headlights, mirrors, and leading edge of the hood components from the Pre Cut PPF Store using SunTek Ultra, in addition to a few yellow squeegee tools and knives from Window Film Supplies.

I chuckle at comments saying you have to pay someone else big $$$ to work on your own car. Part of having a car is learning to do some of these things yourself, and the pride that comes with it. A person has to start somewhere in this process, but has to evaluate whether they truly have the skills to even accomplish the task, or figure out how to build those skills over time and accept a few bumps in the road. I have already determined what things I want to do or try, vs letting an experienced pro handle.

I installed a VMP Stage 1 supercharger, and oil pump gears on my last car. I was nervous on the first start though. The local shop that dynoed and performed the final tune was surprised I did it myself…commented on clean/pro install.

My perception, from what I saw on the internet and in a real life (before I chose my detailer, I visited two shops) is that the PPF is as good as is the shop doing it. Pre-cutting is nice but doing it right is much more than cutting the right shape. I saw two guys struggling to cover some Porsche back with a pre-cut piece. I saw pics and vids of wrong application even from an authorized shop.

I mean if you feel for it, go for it, nothing beats the first hand experience. But whether it gets cheaper in the end than having some pro do it remains to be seen :wink:
True, execution is key. Although the goal is for a clean install at a cheaper price, one needs to recognize it may not be cheaper the first time while learning.

Yes, I've used a couple of pre-cut kits. It takes patience, but certainly doable if you put your mind to it. I did have to re-buy and replace some pieces that I wasn't happy with, but most places will give you discount on replacement pieces.

If you're not happy in the end, it peels off clean. Consider it a cost of education, then try again, or consult a pro. I would definitely install PPF again on my future vehicles.
Thanks…my thoughts as well. If I don’t like it, can always have a pro do it and chalk it up as the cost of obtaining experienc. If I like it, gives me the confidence for my next vehicle.

65straight6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
09 Ram 6.7l 3500 4x4, 55 Studebaker P/U, ‘19 GT350
I went ahead and purchased the headlights, mirrors, and leading edge of the hood components from the Pre Cut PPF Store using SunTek Ultra, in addition to a few yellow squeegee tools and knives from Window Film Supplies.

I chuckle at comments saying you have to pay someone else big $$$ to work on your own car. Part of having a car is learning to do some of these things yourself, and the pride that comes with it. A person has to start somewhere in this process, but has to evaluate whether they truly have the skills to even accomplish the task, or figure out how to build those skills over time and accept a few bumps in the road. I have already determined what things I want to do or try, vs letting an experienced pro handle.

I installed a VMP Stage 1 supercharger, and oil pump gears on my last car. I was nervous on the first start though. The local shop that dynoed and performed the final tune was surprised I did it myself…commented on clean/pro install.

True, execution is key. Although the goal is for a clean install at a cheaper price, one needs to recognize it may not be cheaper the first time while learning.

Thanks…my thoughts as well. If I don’t like it, can always have a pro do it and chalk it up as the cost of obtaining experienc. If I like it, gives me the confidence for my next vehicle.

I love a good DIY job; tiled my house (floors and showers) and replaced my truck turbo, all thanks to watching YouTube. Looks like PPF is in my future. Of course, I may have to practice on the GF’s car first😈

OP
OP
cheeser

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love a good DIY job; tiled my house (floors and showers) and replaced my truck turbo, all thanks to watching YouTube. Looks like PPF is in my future. Of course, I may have to practice on the GF’s car first😈
I received the precut material, and hope to find time in the next week to apply. After looking over the car and watching a number of YouTube videos, looks like I’ll apply in this order (easiest first)….headlights, mirrors, then front portion of the hood.

OP
OP
cheeser

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gave it a try over the weekend, and was only successful (or happy) with headlights, but couldn’t get the mirrors to lay down correctly, so I didn’t even try the hood.

I think it would have been easier to try a bulk material vs a precut. Maybe I’ll give that a try on one of my other vehicles.

Ill have a local shop do the rest, and will probably do the full front bumper.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Gave it a try over the weekend, and was only successful (or happy) with headlights, but could get the mirrors to go on correctly, so I didn’t even try the hood.

I think it would have been easier to try a bulk material, vs a precut. Maybe I’ll give that a try on one of my other vehicles.

Ill have a local shop do the rest, and will probably do the full front bumper.
It’s one of those things that seems so simple but is so incredibly difficult to get perfect. I tried vinyl wrapping some emblems last week and gave up within minutes lol

OP
OP
cheeser

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s one of those things that seems so simple but is so incredibly difficult to get perfect. I tried vinyl wrapping some emblems last week and gave up within minutes lol
Yep. I don’t mind giving it a try though. Like anything, a bit of practice and a few tips here and there would help.

MELLEE8585

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mel
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mustang GT Convertible
thinking to do this too .. diy or get someone to do it .. ?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I feel it's going to depend on the amount of area you're looking to cover. If there are a handful of places you're interested in, you might do it yourself and have a great time at it. But if it is something like a full panel or a piece with a unique shape, might be best to leave with the pros.

"Like gift wrapping a football."

If you watch videos on-line of shops doing it, IMO, there's quite a bit of effort, not just in the application, but the prep, maintaining a clean environment, etc. Finally, just the experience of working with the materials itself.

I had mine done by a shop and I couldn't be more pleased. You can't even tell it's there unless your standing immediately next to the car and studying the body lines for a bit. And I've got a warranty for 10 years.

MELLEE8585

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mel
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mustang GT Convertible
i nearly fainted when a shop near me quoted me these

Xpel PPF gloss 6,500$
Matte PPF xpel 7,000$
Sponsored