Bigbel07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Belmin
Vehicle(s)
13 gt500 owner
Hello,

Looking to PPF my GT350R on the 14th of next month. However, not sure what to do with the stripes. The installer recommended just leaving them bare or they can install matte PPF over the stripes. What have you guys with matte stripes and PPf decide to do? Thanks much for the feedback!

Also, what are your reviews on Stek brand PPF? The installer stated they would be using this. According to him, they have tried Xpel and said it is a terrible film and have moved on. A lot of people appear to talk about xpel due to their marketing?
Sponsored

Last edited:

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
@Rev Happy had the matte done over his stripes I believe with Xpel. When I had stripes I had ppf done over them as well (gloss stripes and film)

OP
OP
Bigbel07

Bigbel07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Belmin
Vehicle(s)
13 gt500 owner
@Rev Happy had the matte done over his stripes I believe with Xpel. When I had stripes I had ppf done over them as well (gloss stripes and film)
Did they cut a separate piece for the stripes? I know some installers do that for the air gap since the stripes sit higher than the paint

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I have XPEL on my car and I am happy with it, but I do not have stripes and have no experience with matte XPEL. I had Suntek on a previous car and it was much thicker than the XPEL and discolored during my two years in Texas pretty badly. Ask your installer if Stek is the same as Suntek.

HEP#15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition L0015
I would leave the stripes bare as I understand if you remove the PPF in the future the stripes will also come off. I have XPEL PPF on 2/3rds of my HEP and have no complaints.....but it's only been 6 months.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bigbel07

Bigbel07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Belmin
Vehicle(s)
13 gt500 owner
I would leave the stripes bare as I understand if you remove the PPF in the future the stripes will also come off. I have XPEL PPF on 2/3rds of my HEP and have no complaints.....but it's only been 6 months.
That’s what I was thinking. May just leave it bare.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Are they using patterns or hand cutting the film? I would not let them hand cut anything on the car. I have xpel, both protective and tint. My buddy did my car, over the stripes as well. I wouldn’t leave them bare personally, almost my entire car is done. He’s used pretty much all of them and told me xpel hands down had the best patterns. He did say he preferred it over all the others as well. Both on the tint and protection side. He does pretty much nothing but higher end cars. I’m sure there are other quality films. I know the volume needed to maintain that account with xpel was up there, that may be why they “moved on”. It’s expensive material for sure. I’m bery pleased with mine.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Stealth Xpel over matte black stripes. You want to protect those stripes too. They are very expensive to replace with OEM

Sponsored

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
i had a hard time deciding this too. ended up not covering my stripes when doing the entire front end. i've heard good things about stek but they are all good and all pretty much give 10 yrs warranty. my front end is 3M Pro and my carbon fiber wing is XPEL Ultimate +. dont worry about the PPF...make sure your installer is good. that's the key.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Check the cost of new stripes if damaged and you will be covering them. My stripes are gloss, but covered with Xpel Ultimate in separate pieces to avoid air pockets. I go with Xpel because of the 10 year warranty, and my guy is an absolute master installer. Their patterns are perfect.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Whichever way you go, call your dealer or parts supplier and price out the OEM stripes for each component of your front end. Then ask how much your xpel installer will charge you to reinstall the xpel.

Most installers will use a single sheet for the hood and front end that has stripes and do a relief cut at the stripes. Since the stripes are put on by hand at flat rock, and the xpel.is custom cut to the stripe, you are probably looking at replacing not only the stripe, but very likely the xpel.

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
Hello,

Looking to PPF my GT350R on the 14th of next month. However, not sure what to do with the stripes. The installer recommended just leaving them bare or they can install matte PPF over the stripes. What have you guys with matte stripes and PPf decide to do? Thanks much for the feedback!

Also, what are your reviews on Stek brand PPF? The installer stated they would be using this. According to him, they have tried Xpel and said it is a terrible film and have moved on. A lot of people appear to talk about xpel due to their marketing?
Ya I did XPEL Stealth over my matte stripes with no issues. I believe Xpel even has a template for the stripes. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't want to cover them honestly. The stripes on the bumper are susceptible to rocks just as much as the paint. Like others mentioned above, the stripes aren't cheap either.

I've heard STEK has some of the best clarity, but as a result it's also one of the thinner films. That guy Matt from Obsessed Garage has it on his GT3 RS and although he raves about the clarity, he said he probably wouldn't track the car with it. I was back and forth between STEK and Xpel on mine, but ended up going with Xpel since I do plan to track the car. I get your installer is maybe trying to push STEK for whatever reason, but for him to say Xpel is terrible, is a little ridiculous. They've been around the longest and have the best patterns for pretty much most applications.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
My only issue with xpel is the orange peel it induces. I can and do live with it because of the protection it provides.
Sponsored