Sponsored

PPF/Ceramic Coatings on Mach 1 Stripes...?

pappagray

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2021 PP1
My entire Mach is Wrapped, so is my buddies. Mine I removed hood stripe and and badges, left side stripe. His has all stripes and badges.

Mine is Suntek Reaction, which is a Si02 coated film, so pre ceramic coated. Requires maintenance to coating like any ceramic does.

Buddies is the same, but they put Xpel stealth over the center stripe to keep the satin finish.

Likely the stripes will be junk when the PPF is removed, but that's the Next guys problem. Also, any PPF guy, or Ford, will restripe the car if it needs to be done.
Sponsored

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 & 16 GT; 20 GT500 CFTP; 21 Mach 1
Adding a little personal experience to the thread.

I did my own paint correction and ceramic coating on our Mach 1 with Carpro CQuartz 3.0. Obviously there is no need for paint correction on the decals or satin finished areas like the mirrors and spoiler. (Keep your clay bar away from the vinyl decals!)

I applied the ceramic coating to the decals, satin areas, and satin HP wheels, and it did not make those areas more glossy. if anything, it deepened the color in a good way all around (ceramic is an absolute must for keeping the HP wheels clean/manageable).

As for PPF - For what it's worth - at the Mach 1 track attack, they were using PPF on their cars that was cut to avoid the decals. I personally am not yet using PPF, as the prices around here are outrageous right now - I could get a decent respray on the bumper and hood for what they are wanting! Based on my experience in working with vinyl, I am quite certain PPF has a high chance of pulling off the vinyl stripe decal when it comes time to remove it and change it out if the stripes are not avoided.

MLO 351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
This for the bonnet stripe https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...&ved=0ahUKEwjEr5jWivLyAhUW3jgGHaWWDvoQ9pwGCAc

A new, innovative coating that protects and enhances Paint Protection Films, Vinyl Wraps, Clear Bra's as well as plastic trims.
One of the biggest problems for Paint Protection Films, Vinyl wraps and Plastics is they are greatly susceptible to UV damage. SKIN was first developed to combat this, and provide a protective layer that contains heavy UV blockers. With both UVA and UVB resistant particles embedded into SKIN's molecular structure, you can be assured that SKIN will provide the best protection possible for your wrapped and plastic surfaces.

CQuartz SKIN also offers a lot of resistance to chemicals, salt and other environmental contaminants. It also ads a rich appearance to the surface, with crazy water/dirt repellency with a rugged durability to match.

SKIN is easy to use in a variety of climates, and is easy to apply for anyone who has had experience with coatings before.

FEATURES:
  • Repels UV rays and other harmful environmental contaminants
  • Great water/dirt repelling properties
  • Makes your PPF, Vinyl Wrap and Plastics last longer, and work better
  • Rich, warm appearance
  • Easy to apply in a variety of temperatures

APPLICATION:
  • Ensure the surface is 100% clean, and oil free through the use of something like CarPro Eraser
  • Apply CQuartz SKIN over a 40x40cm area, using an even criss-cross pattern method
  • Let the solution flash for 3-4 minutes and then wipe off.
  • Do not expose to chemicals for 3-5 days recommended.

SPECIFICATIONS:
  • Expected Durability: 2 years or more
  • Average Thickness: 1-2 micron per coat
  • Coverage: 15mL Per coat
  • Water contact angle: 110 degrees or more
  • Minor Filling properties
  • Recommended working temperatures: 10 - 30 degrees Celsius

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
I had PPF installed few days ago, the problem with the rougher matte stripe part's texture causing small bubbles in some places turned out to be true, even with matte film. The detailer had Mach 1 and its hood in the database for plotter cutting, it was made so it covers the glossy parts of the stripe but not the matter part, it fit really nice. Since it didn't look 100% with the matte film on matte part of the stripe, I told him to remove it and just put ceramics on it.

Seeing both FJG and VB cars up close I could compare the texture of the matter part and FJG really has it much smoother (vinyl-like) unlike non-FJG stripe which is rougher, looks like paint sprayed on top of the vinyl, it looks even more matte, without any kind of reflections unlike the FJG stripe. So FJG stripe works with PPF, non-FJG doesn't. Covering matte PPF with gray matte vinyl seemed silly, so I opted for no PPF on it just ceramics, it's higher and more flatter on the hood so don't think chips will be big problem there.

Also had mirrors and lip spoiler wrapped with matte film. The matte texture on those is not entirely smooth either, but there's almost no bubbles, works fine on those, worth protecting them too.

Overall PPF is looking really great, everything pre-cut, all edges are covered and film bent over, I am very satisfied. Cost for full wrap was $4250 incl. our VAT (21%).

Last edited:

snakeyes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chaz
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500, Performance Blue, Black stripes
Ok so - - - - - DO NOT, DO NOT

Xpel PPF your hood stripe decal even with matte / stealth PPF the matte portion of the Ford decal surface is kind of rough not smooth as anyone with a Mach 1 knows. This creates a surface that will not allow the film to stick too without leaving streaks trust me on this - I'm dealing with it now.

I have had to replace that damn hood decal once already because the dealer detail ASSHOLE scratched it. Now the Xpel PPF isn't adhering to the decal properly and it looks like its going to have to come off which I'm sure will take the F'ing hood decal with it.

My advice: skip the F'ing PPF and just go with ceramic coating. These PPF installers most of them are amateurs pretending to be professional - and they screw shit up left and right.

Motto of the story:

(in todays World) If you can't do it yourself - DON'T DO IT ... 🤬 🤬 🤬

Last edited:

Sponsored

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
PPF can be taken off the stripe fine unless too long time passed and it cured already. They took it off from mine the next day without any damage.

Sorry about your experience, PPF really needs the best of the best to do it to have 100% result. And even then there's a chance of a dust particle trapped beneath it to get a slight bitter taste upon close look inspection...

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
Ford decal surface is kind of rough not smooth as anyone with a Mach 1 knows. This creates a surface that will not allow the film to stick too without leaving streaks trust me on this - I'm dealing with it now.
I believe someone here did full XPEL Stealth PPF and did not observe the problems, however is seems to depend on the color of decal (or more precisely, it seems FJG decals are not the same as the rest).

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
I had PPF installed few days ago, the problem with the rougher matte stripe part's texture causing small bubbles in some places turned out to be true, even with matte film. The detailer had Mach 1 and its hood in the database for plotter cutting, it was made so it covers the glossy parts of the stripe but not the matter part, it fit really nice. Since it didn't look 100% with the matte film on matte part of the stripe, I told him to remove it and just put ceramics on it.

Seeing both FJG and VB cars up close I could compare the texture of the matter part and FJG really has it much smoother (vinyl-like) unlike non-FJG stripe which is rougher, looks like paint sprayed on top of the vinyl, it looks even more matte, without any kind of reflections unlike the FJG stripe. So FJG stripe works with PPF, non-FJG doesn't. Covering matte PPF with gray matte vinyl seemed silly, so I opted for no PPF on it just ceramics, it's higher and more flatter on the hood so don't think chips will be big problem there.

Also had mirrors and lip spoiler wrapped with matte film. The matte texture on those is not entirely smooth either, but there's almost no bubbles, works fine on those, worth protecting them too.

Overall PPF is looking really great, everything pre-cut, all edges are covered and film bent over, I am very satisfied. Cost for full wrap was $4250 incl. our VAT (21%).
Very interesting, I never thought the middle black part of the hood stripe would be different in texture between the two paint colors. I wonder if this is a FJG thing vs all other colors, not just VB....

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I'm getting mine all done on Monday. Stealth cut piece on the decal. It was over a month wait to get in to this shop and the owner is a husband and wife combo who are very skilled at it. Looking forward to being protected finally and the car not being dirty.

Sponsored

snakeyes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chaz
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500, Performance Blue, Black stripes
Had the middle portion removed it was just not drying out came off no problem I think mainly because it wasn't really adhered to in the first place. Do what you want - however, it's simply a waste of $$$ if you have to take it off. In my case this was part of a concession job paid for by Xpel corporate because the first installer screwed the job up ROYALLY and it all had to be removed. This is the second guy and he couldn't get the hood decal right either. again, to my original point "If you can't do it yourself maybe you should skip it"

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I'll let you guys know after next week. My FJG is getting matte on the decal, gloss everywhere else.

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
I haven't done PPF because of this complication. I can't find a dealer that would cut around it or do any of the advanced matte work some of you are talking about. Another wanted to first take off the decals then PPF underneath increasing the likelihood of screwing up the decal. Another would just put it over it but then people have seen bubbles around the edge.

jsullboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Does any one have pictures to share of PPF cut around the decal? A couple of places I called about ceramic were basically telling me to do PPF but not ceramic. If my car is always clean and in a garage is ceramic worth it? I have never put ceramic on a car before.
Sponsored