Sponsored

PPF/Ceramic Coatings on Mach 1 Stripes...?

ACMEguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP 'M3162'
My question goes out to anyone who is considering PPF/Ceramic Paint Protection for their Mach 1... In my research on the films and coatings the one seemingly constant is the fact that once applied they add ' a sheen or glossiness' to the finish (not including the films that are purposely matte). Has anyone considered how they would deal with the matte sections of the hood decal and the reflective orange details on the hood and side body stripes?
Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
I would be more worried about what’s going to happen to the decals when the film is removed. I haven’t had a chance to talk to my installer about this yet but I think I’m going to end up with a lot less PPF film than I would have liked. Ideally I would like to cover the hood and lower sides but with the decals I don’t see how to get any protection without the vinyl being pulled off when the film has to come off. I think you’re also going to see a bubbled edge where the film transitions from the painted surface to the decal.
Leaning towards PPF on the front bumper and ceramic everywhere else, with my fingers crossed the finish doesn’t get too chewed up over time.

OP
OP
ACMEguy

ACMEguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
I would be more worried about what’s going to happen to the decals when the film is removed. I haven’t had a chance to talk to my installer about this yet but I think I’m going to end up with a lot less PPF film than I would have liked. Ideally I would like to cover the hood and lower sides but with the decals I don’t see how to get any protection without the vinyl being pulled off when the film has to come off. I think you’re also going to see a bubbled edge where the film transitions from the painted surface to the decal.
Leaning towards PPF on the front bumper and ceramic everywhere else, with my fingers crossed the finish doesn’t get too chewed up over time.

OP
OP
ACMEguy

ACMEguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
It begs the question whether Ford would ship the car with the decals BUT not applied to the car if you want to do the PPF first?

stageron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2559, Lexus NX300
I would think that the decals would not be covered in PPF but rather the PPF be cut around the decals leaving them uncovered so they retain the Matt finish. Same with the ceramic coating. At least that’s my plan but I’ll have to see what the installer says.

Sponsored

51NNED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Personally I’m going to Ceramic Coat the whole car and then maybe just PPF the forward facing panels/parts.

RSPEK 178

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
MY20 Mustang R Spec
Personally I’m going to Ceramic Coat the whole car and then maybe just PPF the forward facing panels/parts.
That’s what I did with my RSPEC

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I would most definitely do rocker panels, lower portions of the doors behind and in front of the rear wheels.

Those areas are more prone to chips as the cars tires will be spitting at those parts constantly more or less. Specially if you are running the HP wheels/ wide wheels and tire setup. But then you want to also have the front then a package such as the Xpel extended kit is golden. However the kit does not include anything for the portion in front of the rear tire. You shop will solve this for you

Also for matte areas there stealth PPF to add if only doing ceramic coating there are products specific for matte areas.

Last edited:

Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350
+1 on Xpel Stealth over matt stripes.

Sponsored

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I would think you would have to replace the decal. Someone suggested that if you get in a collision and have to get the hood repainted (I shudder at the thought), Ford will have to have the decal to apply to the newly painted hood.

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I would think that the decals would not be covered in PPF but rather the PPF be cut around the decals leaving them uncovered so they retain the Matt finish. Same with the ceramic coating. At least that’s my plan but I’ll have to see what the installer says.
If you do that, there will be an edge around the perimeter of the decal which might catch dirt and also might peel back, no?

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Can one use ceramic coating over the stripes or does it need to be avoided? I know to mask the stripes for polishing, but can you CQuartz over the stripes for example?

stageron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2559, Lexus NX300
Can one use ceramic coating over the stripes or does it need to be avoided? I know to mask the stripes for polishing, but can you CQuartz over the stripes for example?
I had my stripes ceramic coated. Installer said it would be fine. If anything I thought it made the hood stripe look a little richer in color.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I actually talked to a few detailers about this. They can cut out a matte piece and put it right up against the gloss piece without any gap at all. They said it takes some really good knife skills but can be done and has been done plenty of times.

As far as ceramic coating goes, I don't see why you couldn't put it over the decal either.
Sponsored