PP2 OWNER EXPERIENCES - RAVES/QUIRKS

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
"FWIW, Tasca shows two (2) different fender liners per side for the Mustang GT. One w/out PP & one w/PP. No distinction made between the Performance Packages tho."
It's very possible that even the dealer is not aware of the actual difference. That's why they always ask for the VIN. It takes them out of the loop in terms of knowing what fits what. The downside, of course, is if you want to cross-fit a part, you have to do some homework. Thankfully, there are a lot of folks on sites like this one that, if you are lucky, just might have already done the R&D. :like:
Sponsored

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
It's very possible that even the dealer is not aware of the actual difference. That's why they always ask for the VIN. It takes them out of the loop in terms of knowing what fits what. The downside, of course, is if you want to cross-fit a part, you have to do some homework. Thankfully, there are a lot of folks on sites like this one that, if you are lucky, just might have already done the R&D. :like:
Good point, Ron.
Their website did mention to enter your VIN to verify parts fit.

I would imagine there are some dealers that don't even know that Ford makes a Performance Package Level 2!

Agreed...there's a lot of "legwork" and real world experience that's already been done by others so we don't have to "re-invent the wheel" with what works and what doesn't with our cars.
Valuable resource right here and other sites.

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
I gave this a shot, was not able to get a before and after temp read. Learning about the rear over heat, shortly before a mountain run. This was a hedge your bet kind of deal.
Rear never got hot to a fault.

Just food for thought.

Rearwrap.jpg
Good idea.
I think I've read on other threads where guys wrap the pipes (as shown) and install heavier gear oil in the diff to keep things from overheating.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Good idea.
I think I've read on other threads where guys wrap the pipes (as shown) and install heavier gear oil in the diff to keep things from overheating.

Now for the rest of the story, 100 ft roll for both pipes. Decide to go with it suggest buying the metal tie wraps and tool .

Littleredd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT W/PP2
How do you like the S type? Any sound clips? Did you have active exhaust?
Ask and yee shall receive!

Borla S-Type w/resonator delete (x pipe).

Sponsored

Littleredd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT W/PP2
No argument w/your logic. However, in Ford's defense, they made it very clear at the initial press intro that the PP2 was designed from the beginning to fill the gap between the PP1 & the GT350. They already had a "track car" w/the GT350R & loading the PP2 up w/any number of Shelby items would 1) dilute the Shelby model & 2) increase the price point of the PP2. There was a larger segment of the market that wanted a more Hi-Po Mustang for the street v. a cheaper track car.

If you think about it, that's why the GT350 is being dropped at the same time that the Mach 1 is being introduced. The "Track Package" for the Mach 1 has many of those GT350 suspension & cooler upgrades. The Mach 1 now becomes that in-between Mustang between the GT & the GT500. The downside is that the starting price for the Mach 1 is $53k (before the "track package" option).
At the PP2 price point it is the perfect touring Mustang for the enthusiast. If you're serious about tracking it wtf is another $2k in coolers?

Hell man, I'm already $4k into mods and I have barely touched the motor. The motor is going to be another $3k before the car is "done". We'll see after the warranty is up if it gets more $$ thrown at it...

(Car is at the shop rn getting $1200 worth of suspension part upgrades, I can't wait for Friday!)

Littleredd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT W/PP2
Back when I was shopping, there were a couple very low option PP2's that seriously tempted me. You could get just the 301A and PP2 packages and be out the door. 2018-2019 MSRP for the GT was $35K, 301A was about $2K, and the PP2 was around $6K, so you're looking at $43K-ish MSRP. The cheapest PP2 I saw while shopping was VIN 1FA6P8CF4J5170487 advertised through Ted Russell Ford in Knoxville, TN for $42,636, and was also equipped with Recaro's and active exhaust. It wouldn't be unreasonable to get that car closer to $38K with rebates, and if you ditched the active exhaust and Recaro's it might be a $36K car. Screaming deal for a PP2.

On the other end of the scale, the most expensive PP2 I saw while shopping was $53,170 @ Jerry's Leesburg Ford in VA. That was VIN 1FA6P8CF7J5153828 with 401A, Safe/Smart, 12" LCD, floor mats...
FWIW, I picked up my PP2 in March, it was already on the lot, and sticker was just over $51k. It has every option EXCEPT Recaro seats, which was just fine by me since it would be my daily and I really, really, really wanted the cooling seats here in Las Vegas summers (and for overall comfort too).

I paid about $45k for the car, $51k OTD.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
OK, w/out checking a non-PP2 Mustang, I looked at the front fender liner on mine. It appears that the PP2 plastic liner is molded w/a (for lack of a better word) pocket to allow for the wider turning radius of the 11.5" rim w/the 305 tire.
the PP2 has 10.5" wheels on the front and 11" on the back.

Did you put even wider tires on the car? They fit fine? What offset did you use? Stock is Fr: 24, Rr:48.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Yeah, I'm not sure of the source or how much quality you get in any brand of bearing these days. I happened to get my hubs in a complete 350R knuckle set, but I would have bought aftermarket if I could have found them cheaper at the time. I wanted to be able to replace my OEM bearing set if needed, but I'm less concerned with that now.
Seems like OEM hub on Rockauto for MR cars is $206. It's an easy swap.

But taking hub out and swapping out studs is also very easy and significantly cheaper. Literally no downside to do this. Hub is the same between all MR cars.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
At the PP2 price point it is the perfect touring Mustang for the enthusiast. If you're serious about tracking it wtf is another $2k in coolers?
Any driving that doesn't need the coolers, doesn't need Streetable Track & Competition tires either. PSC2 tires represent short-lived overkill for touring given that the PS4S is more than capable of supporting that use.

FWIW, I would put canyon running closer to touring than serious tracking, and some people have overheated the diff in the canyons . . .

Norm

Sponsored

Littleredd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT W/PP2
Any driving that doesn't need the coolers, doesn't need Streetable Track & Competition tires either. PSC2 tires represent short-lived overkill for touring given that the PS4S is more than capable of supporting that use.

FWIW, I would put canyon running closer to touring than serious tracking, and some people have overheated the diff in the canyons . . .

Norm
I agree, I replaced my PSC2s at 1k miles with PS4Ss since I was going to have to replace them around 6k anyways. Now I am saving them for a proper track day. I honestly believe they are on there as a gimmick for the press To inflate the performance of the PP2. It’s just not realistic to run them on a daily driver unless you are fucking loaded and can buy $2k worth of tires almost every oil change.

That said, what a package they are together...

I also agree that touring and canyon running are closer than tracking, especially for those who would be drawn to the PP2 for performance over a regular GTPP Without any intent to track it (those people actually exist! I know some!)

Like I said, anyone with serious track intentions can just shell out the $2k in cooling upgrades and have themselves a very capable track car for $10k (min) less then the Shelby and still be able to to DD her! Shit, how much will someone spend in tires, travel, accommodation, and all the other expenses to track...

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
"The PP2 has 10.5" wheels on the front & 11" on the back."
Oops ... my bad. Fat finger syndrome!!! :facepalm: It has been corrected. Thank you.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Oops ... my bad. Fat finger syndrome!!! :facepalm: It has been corrected. Thank you.
no problem! I really thought you put even wider wheels on the car and was interested to see how that worked out. I have seen so many late 60's or early 70's Mustang have much, much larger wheels and tires on them that I thought you were going that route. Would have been nostalgic for me.

No problem either way. Probably would have looked cool though.

Porsche Dude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 2, 2004 Porsche Boxster S

Hell man, I'm already $4k into mods and I have barely touched the motor. The motor is going to be another $3k before the car is "done". We'll see after the warranty is up if it gets more $$ thrown at it...

(Car is at the shop rn getting $1200 worth of suspension part upgrades, I can't wait for Friday!)
I agree, I replaced my PSC2s at 1k miles with PS4Ss since I was going to have to replace them around 6k anyways. Now I am saving them for a proper track day. I honestly believe they are on there as a gimmick for the press To inflate the performance of the PP2. It’s just not realistic to run them on a daily driver unless you are fucking loaded and can buy $2k worth of tires almost every oil change.

That said, what a package they are together...

I also agree that touring and canyon running are closer than tracking, especially for those who would be drawn to the PP2 for performance over a regular GTPP Without any intent to track it (those people actually exist! I know some!)

Like I said, anyone with serious track intentions can just shell out the $2k in cooling upgrades and have themselves a very capable track car for $10k (min) less then the Shelby and still be able to to DD her! Shit, how much will someone spend in tires, travel, accommodation, and all the other expenses to track...
The cost of the SC2’s, even for a dealer up here is astronomical so I have bought a set of Nitto NT01’s to try next year. I have run them on my Porsche’s and I am used to them and I expect them to perform well on the PP2. I will let you know. They were almost half the price of the Cup 2’s.

Littleredd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT W/PP2
The cost of the SC2’s, even for a dealer up here is astronomical so I have bought a set of Nitto NT01’s to try next year. I have run them on my Porsche’s and I am used to them and I expect them to perform well on the PP2. I will let you know. They were almost half the price of the Cup 2’s.
I don’t see them anywhere for that kind of price! They are about $40 less than the PSC2.

I’m curious what others have as alternate wheel sizes on the PP2. I was thinking about buying 19x11” for track day tires but don’t know where to begin when it comes to fitment and offsets...
Sponsored