corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
No argument w/your logic. However, in Ford's defense, they made it very clear at the initial press intro that the PP2 was designed from the beginning to fill the gap between the PP1 & the GT350. They already had a "track car" w/the GT350R & loading the PP2 up w/any number of Shelby items would 1) dilute the Shelby model & 2) increase the price point of the PP2. There was a larger segment of the market that wanted a more Hi-Po Mustang for the street v. a cheaper track car.
So who/what was Ford actually targeting the PP2 for, if they were going to knowingly cripple it for road course work? Certainly not the straight-line crowd, with 305-wide streetable track/competition tires at all four corners and unique track-inspired calibrations for all sorts of things from Magneride to the EPAS.

Seems a better choice would have been to include the diff and possibly transmission cooling as a separate option within PP2. Maybe package the cooling with the PSC2 tires and put the "base" PP2 on PS4S tires of the same size . . . make it the buyer's choice to be only a little hardcore about cornering & handling or seriously so.

Norm
Sponsored

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
To answer the second question in your post....all PP2 cars came with magneride. It was included as part of the PP2 option.
All PP2 Mustangs sit about an inch lower than non-PP2 Mustangs IIRC.

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
"It's almost like the "Tremor Package" IS the PP2 package. Looking back at that 1st link you included, Tremor looks like some sort of marketing name that either didn't stick or was outright dropped in favor of keeping the simple PP2 or Level 2."
BINGO!!! After all, prior to production, 1st gen Mustang names included Cougar, Torino & T-Bird II (favored by HFII). It could also be that the 'Tremor' name was already in Ford's pipeline for use on the Super Duty trucks. Nice piece of detective work tho. This is the 1st I have heard of the 'Tremor' package.

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Regarding whether a PP2 is "fully loaded", there are some threads on here with order guides from Ford showing what other options are available with the PP2 package.
You had to order either 301A or 401A package along with PP2 option.
I believe either of these options gave you the electronics necessary for selectable drive modes and magneride.

Laserbrain

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2
Vehicle Showcase
So who/what was Ford actually targeting the PP2 for, [...]
My guess is it's aimed to compete with the Camaro SS 1LE.

The handling package and 305 tires make the PP2 an autocross beast. The diff cooler probably wouldn't be needed on those ~1 minute runs. It would clean up in FS, but it was classified in BS where BMWs rule.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
My guess is it's aimed to compete with the Camaro SS 1LE.

The handling package and 305 tires make the PP2 an autocross beast. The diff cooler probably wouldn't be needed on those ~1 minute runs. It would clean up in FS, but it was classified in BS where BMWs rule.
The PP2's lack of powertrain component cooling suggests that they aimed it to compete with the 1LE's image rather than that car's substance.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If Ford was targeting the PP2 for some random dude who enjoys driving twisty roads, then they nailed the target with me. Fun car.
I don't doubt it.

Too bad Ford didn't consider endurance under still harder driving more seriously. I can't believe they were unaware of people driving stockish Mustangs at HPDE at least semi-seriously

Norm

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
All PP2 Mustangs sit about an inch lower than non-PP2 Mustangs IIRC.
The whole car sits lower due to the sidewall height of the stock tires, but I don't believe the suspension itself is lower - other than the "mysteriously undocumented" lower ride height that appears to be present on all Magneride cars :crazy:

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
I don't doubt it.

Too bad Ford didn't consider endurance under still harder driving more seriously. I can't believe they were unaware of people driving stockish Mustangs at HPDE at least semi-seriously

Norm
I agree, Norm.
I suspect that Ford didn't want to piss off the GT350 owners by putting out a "lesser" Mustang that could keep up with the Shelby for an entire track day.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
The whole car sits lower due to the sidewall height of the stock tires, but I don't believe the suspension itself is lower - other than the "mysteriously undocumented" lower ride height that appears to be present on all Magneride cars :crazy:
I'll buy that...

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
The PP2's lack of powertrain component cooling suggests that they aimed it to compete with the 1LE's image rather than that car's substance.
I think the PP2 was intended to be something else, i.e., a little more of a GT350 replacement - the GT500 program got pushed back, the GT350 stuck around, the PP2 got a little dialed back. Clearly, with tires are suggesting a usage that would greatly benefit from coolers.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I'll buy that...
FYI, there's a pretty neat set of a photos a guy took, basically the exact same GT PP1, brand new, side-by-side, one with MR, one without, the one with definitely had notably less fender gap.

I noticed this right away with my MR car, my aftermarket 20" setup looks like it did with my previous (non-MR car) on lowering springs. As such, I've avoided lowering it, which is usually something I do to most of the cars I've owned.

It's not documented, but it sure as hell __looks__ lower :D

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
FYI, there's a pretty neat set of a photos a guy took, basically the exact same GT PP1, brand new, side-by-side, one with MR, one without, the one with definitely had notably less fender gap.

I noticed this right away with my MR car, my aftermarket 20" setup looks like it did with my previous (non-MR car) on lowering springs. As such, I've avoided lowering it, which is usually something I do to most of the cars I've owned.

It's not documented, but it sure as hell __looks__ lower :D
Good info!
I've never seen a side by side view of the PP1 and PP2....
I think there's a YT video of some guy who put PP2 wheels and tires on a "regular" Mustang GT. Makes the stock suspension Mustang GT look like it has a 4" lift kit on it.

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
I think the PP2 was intended to be something else, i.e., a little more of a GT350 replacement - the GT500 program got pushed back, the GT350 stuck around, the PP2 got a little dialed back. Clearly, with tires are suggesting a usage that would greatly benefit from coolers.
That makes sense...
Sponsored