PP2 OWNER EXPERIENCES - RAVES/QUIRKS

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
"At the PP2 price point, it is the perfect touring Mustang for the enthusiast. If you're serious about tracking it, WTF is another $2k in coolers?"
The diff cooler kit is available from Ford Performance & (apparently) the aftermarket. The trans cooler is a bit more problematic due to the Shelby's using the Tremec (v. Getrag) transmission which has an internal pump for the cooler. And this is most likely why the trans cooler is not available in kit form. However, you can purchase those parts individually & buy an external pump from the aftermarket. BTW, the diff cooler kit is $2,500 thru Ford Performance so you might want to re-think your $2k budget. Performance is almost always fun, but it is never cheap.
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I honestly believe they are on there as a gimmick for the press To inflate the performance of the PP2.
That's what it is - PP2 was not quite successful attempt to match 1/LE and instead of making significant suspension changes to do it, they've just slapped stickier tires.

Without them, that car isn't significantly different (unfortunately) than PP1 with MR.

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
"I have seen so many late '60s or early '70s Mustangs have much, much larger wheels & tires on them ..."
It would interesting to know exactly how wide those 'much larger wheels' are. My reason for saying that is the early Trans-Am (1966/67) cars used 7" wheels & most bent up (or removed in some cases) the lip & a few did a bit of flaring to accommodate an increased offset. However, in 1968, the wheel width was increased to 8" & virtually everyone had to create flares both front & rear.

Last edited:

Littleredd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT W/PP2
That's what it is - PP2 was not quite successful attempt to match 1/LE and instead of making significant suspension changes to do it, they've just slapped stickier tires.

Without them, that car isn't significantly different (unfortunately) than PP1 with MR.
I agree, and I believe it is priced accordingly. For $1,600 more than the PP1 you get MR, the tires, The beautiful wheels (and a stance that is nearly perfect), the splitter up front, and the “unique” spoiler. Oh yeah, and the “track tuned” suspension settings.

If it came with PS4Ss instead I would have been just fine with that.

Reactions: kz

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
It would interesting to know exactly how wide those 'much larger wheels' are. My reason for saying that is the the early Trans-Am (1966/67) cars used 7" wheels & most bent up (or removed in some cases) the lip & a few did a bit of flaring to accommodate an increased offset. However, in 1968, the wheel width was increased to 8" & virtually everyone had to create flares both front & rear.
I was talking like these. Just tubbed out goodness!!
27b680cfaad581d1f1508f5f8e705cc0.jpg
AAAASav.jpg
3f890a103eeacb70fb3605231a347816.jpg

qAhBfuz-75_fPqXUOi1mb476_D3F76qzkv0cG0N4yOzRZAt9_s.jpg

syOYLOyYA2QIekdg4a1UoXRIxQkl3i4hdKMjq7gK_IPM4lpYmE.jpg
mean-1967-ford-mustang-pro-street-is-a-wild-ride.jpg

Sponsored

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
"The PP2 was a not quite successful attempt to match the 1LE & instead of making significant suspension changes to do it, they've just slapped stickier tires. Without them, that car isn't significantly different (unfortunately) than PP1 w/MR."
The Mustang will never (maybe briefly, but not for long) be better than the Camaro because the Camaro does not have any 'ceiling' on performance. Whatever Ford does, the Camaro can produce the necessary mods to make it just a little quicker, a little faster & corner just a little better. The Mustang, however, does have a performance 'ceiling' ... the Shelby.

As for the PP2 not being much different than the PP1 ... I would think that 4+ seconds a lap (at the 2.14 mile GingerMan Raceway) is a significant difference. However, w/all due respect, it would be interesting to see both cars go at it w/the same wheel/tire combo. Or, better yet, just a straight up wheel/tire swap.

Last edited:

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I was talking like these. Just tubbed out goodness!!
27b680cfaad581d1f1508f5f8e705cc0.jpg
AAAASav.jpg
3f890a103eeacb70fb3605231a347816.jpg

qAhBfuz-75_fPqXUOi1mb476_D3F76qzkv0cG0N4yOzRZAt9_s.jpg

syOYLOyYA2QIekdg4a1UoXRIxQkl3i4hdKMjq7gK_IPM4lpYmE.jpg
mean-1967-ford-mustang-pro-street-is-a-wild-ride.jpg
BINGO!!! You just made my point. And answered your own question. With tubs, you make almost any wheel/tire combo fit almost any car. :like:

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
I don’t see them anywhere for that kind of price! They are about $40 less than the PSC2.

I’m curious what others have as alternate wheel sizes on the PP2. I was thinking about buying 19x11” for track day tires but don’t know where to begin when it comes to fitment and offsets...
Search around you should be able to find threads (look at Track Mustangs Online) about this and different wheels people have used. I currently run a set of 4 SVE S350 wheels in 19x11 with RE71's for track use. They are +50mm offset. This setup requires longer studs up front and a 25mm hub centric spacer (no bolt on spacers!) and open lug nuts. I'm probably going to put long studs on the rear as well as it makes swapping wheels and tires easier. Also, if you are serious about track time consider Apex wheels. They are a bit more expensive but are supposed to be much more durable. I've run SVE on my (previous) S197 track cars so I took a chance on these. I might buy Apex for my second track wheel setup with sticky take off slicks.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I agree, and I believe it is priced accordingly. For $1,600 more than the PP1 you get MR, the tires, The beautiful wheels (and a stance that is nearly perfect), the splitter up front, and the “unique” spoiler. Oh yeah, and the “track tuned” suspension settings.

If it came with PS4Ss instead I would have been just fine with that.
Not to mention free cloth Recaros if you got one of the earlier 2018’s. Really a no brainer for a PP2 over PP1 unless you wanted the A10. Btw, I’m not a skinny guy (5’8” 200) and I love the cloth Recaros. Best $0 I ever spent.

full.jpg

Littleredd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT W/PP2
Not to mention free cloth Recaros if you got one of the earlier 2018’s. Really a no brainer for a PP2 over PP1 unless you wanted the A10. Btw, I’m not a skinny guy (5’8” 200) and I love the cloth Recaros. Best $0 I ever spent.

full.jpg
Lol, I’m 6’ 200lbs and sat in a BRZ once. Just once, I might get stuck if I try again...

Sponsored

wtb6mtv8rwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
I gave this a shot, was not able to get a before and after temp read. Learning about the rear over heat, shortly before a mountain run. This was a hedge your bet kind of deal.
Rear never got hot to a fault.

Just food for thought.

Rearwrap.jpg
Good idea.
I think I've read on other threads where guys wrap the pipes (as shown) and install heavier gear oil in the diff to keep things from overheating.
I've tried the exhaust wrap + thermotec clamp-on shields + heavier diff fluid. If you look at my previous posts I posted temps and observations. For street use it does seem to do the trick for most people. For me unfortunately it didn't do much more than just delay the overheating.

Any driving that doesn't need the coolers, doesn't need Streetable Track & Competition tires either.
I couldn't agree more. These two should go hand in hand.

I track older bimmers. For me the Mustang is a daily/tourer/back road carver. I expected it be great at that in stock form. It's almost there but I don't really want to get into a diff cooler install on what is purely a street car to me.

I'll add that I feel the car has lost its edge going from the SC2 to the PS4S. The PS4S is without a doubt a great summer street tire but coming from the SC2 the downgrade in grip and sharpness it's just a bummer.

Due to the above I've haven't taken the Mustang out a whole lot lately. Who knows maybe now with less mechanical grip and a slower pace the diff wouldn't overheat.

wtb6mtv8rwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
SOLD

full.jpg
Lucky you getting those for free! They were 1,595 on my sticker.
I too absolutely love them. They are grippy yet comfy. Fantastic seats.

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
One thing I have gripe about, albeit minor, is the steering wheel. I wish it was more track oriented with some thicker substance. I can't allow myself to spend 1k plus on a new wheel and retain the heated feature.

Laserbrain

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2
Vehicle Showcase
So who/what was Ford actually targeting the PP2 for
Any driving that doesn't need the coolers, doesn't need Streetable Track & Competition tires either. PSC2 tires represent short-lived overkill for touring given that the PS4S is more than capable of supporting that use.
Autocross, bro.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Autocross, bro.
Yeah - no - this claim makes zero sense since they've released a car with tires that aren't eligible for street class national competition (and no one sane would run them in a non-street class vs. Hoosiers). It's also terribly uncompetitive in B Street but this isn't exactly Ford's fault.
Sponsored