Sponsored

PP2 Gets SVE R350 Wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport 4 All Season (run-flats): bit of a review

traumkommode

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
By this point, I've driven performance pack GTs on Pilot Sport 4s, Sport Cup 2, Pilot Sport A/S 3+, and now Pilot Sport 4 A/S tires (drove Pilot Super Sport ZPs on a C7 for a while, too.) They're all excellent tires at what they do. I bought this PP2 earlier in the year, drove on the SC2s, and hit the point last month where I needed a different tire here in Kansas City.

Debated for a while and decided to get a square wheel set, chose the SVE R350s in Satin Bronze. The wheel design is great, the color is interesting. I chose this finish because I didn't want gloss black or that gloss grey that looks almost like Magnetic Metallic. Whatever I've given up in grip from the factory 11" width and 305 track rubber I feel like I've gained a good bit back shaving weight, as I think I shaved off 38-40lbs of rotating mass with this new setup between wheels and rubber. This bronze isn't my first choice to match with MM paint, but I'm thinking about wraping the car anyway:

51656392734_09984511a3_h.jpg

They look good. The tires are Michelin Pilot Sport 4 All Seasons in 285/35/19. I really enjoyed the 305 SC2s - they were a wild ride to drive, and the factory wheel sizes plus 305 tires look nice and mean. I thought about buying a set of Coopers because those were available at my tire shop in 305/30/19, but I didn't like the reviews of their handling, and I trust Michelin a lot. I love "spirited driving", and Michelin has that game dialed. I will probably put some spacers on with these wheels because I miss the aggressive stance and poke from the factory setup:

51656583050_19a8fca3ea_h.jpg

At 285, tramlining is all gone. Some of the grip is too, but when these break traction, it feels very predictable, composed and very short-lived. I'm not claiming that these inspire the same kind of "this car can handle anything I give it" confidence, but for a tire that can manage the cold and the wet, these things grip as much as I think I could hope for. They communicate noticeably less of the road than the SC2s do, but the car's turning and handling is at least 95% of what it was from the factory, just a little smoother around the edges. Also, the set I got are run-flats. For ZP tires they aren't loud at all. Comparable cabin noise to the SC2s with a whole lot less rocks flinging around in the wheel wells. They don't ride soft at all, but they aren't harsh. Going from the OEM setup/SC2s, it feels like the car took a shower and put on clean clothes for dinner after a day doing manual labor. Less race-car-y, just fast-car-y.

Time will have to tell how they do 1) in the snow, and 2) at different mileage intervals. I do like that I can rotate the tires - the SC2s I took off weren't totally dead, but the rears were getting close and the fronts still had probably twice the tread that the rears did, and I did this swap at ~5800 miles.

I still have the OEM wheels. Not sure what I will do with them, thought about making them the summer set, and while I understand their appeal I'm not crazy about them. Also thought that I'd like a square set for the summer, too, so might just sell them and look for a set for the summer that I like even more than this Satin Bronze R350. (Honestly I wish these wheels were available in Satin Silver, or Titanium Grey or whatever SVE/LMR call their lighter finish, and would totally buy another set in that color for the Summer, but I'll not derail my own thread...)

Anyway, hope this helps someone out there with their decision about an all-season from Michelin.
Sponsored

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
why get a pp2 if you aren’t going to keep it setup for track use? A base GT premium would’ve been exactly what you wanted.

MaxAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Accord Touring
By this point, I've driven performance pack GTs on Pilot Sport 4s, Sport Cup 2, Pilot Sport A/S 3+, and now Pilot Sport 4 A/S tires (drove Pilot Super Sport ZPs on a C7 for a while, too.) They're all excellent tires at what they do. I bought this PP2 earlier in the year, drove on the SC2s, and hit the point last month where I needed a different tire here in Kansas City.

Debated for a while and decided to get a square wheel set, chose the SVE R350s in Satin Bronze. The wheel design is great, the color is interesting. I chose this finish because I didn't want gloss black or that gloss grey that looks almost like Magnetic Metallic. Whatever I've given up in grip from the factory 11" width and 305 track rubber I feel like I've gained a good bit back shaving weight, as I think I shaved off 38-40lbs of rotating mass with this new setup between wheels and rubber. This bronze isn't my first choice to match with MM paint, but I'm thinking about wraping the car anyway:

They look good. The tires are Michelin Pilot Sport 4 All Seasons in 285/35/19. I really enjoyed the 305 SC2s - they were a wild ride to drive, and the factory wheel sizes plus 305 tires look nice and mean. I thought about buying a set of Coopers because those were available at my tire shop in 305/30/19, but I didn't like the reviews of their handling, and I trust Michelin a lot. I love "spirited driving", and Michelin has that game dialed. I will probably put some spacers on with these wheels because I miss the aggressive stance and poke from the factory setup:

At 285, tramlining is all gone. Some of the grip is too, but when these break traction, it feels very predictable, composed and very short-lived. I'm not claiming that these inspire the same kind of "this car can handle anything I give it" confidence, but for a tire that can manage the cold and the wet, these things grip as much as I think I could hope for. They communicate noticeably less of the road than the SC2s do, but the car's turning and handling is at least 95% of what it was from the factory, just a little smoother around the edges. Also, the set I got are run-flats. For ZP tires they aren't loud at all. Comparable cabin noise to the SC2s with a whole lot less rocks flinging around in the wheel wells. They don't ride soft at all, but they aren't harsh. Going from the OEM setup/SC2s, it feels like the car took a shower and put on clean clothes for dinner after a day doing manual labor. Less race-car-y, just fast-car-y.

Time will have to tell how they do 1) in the snow, and 2) at different mileage intervals. I do like that I can rotate the tires - the SC2s I took off weren't totally dead, but the rears were getting close and the fronts still had probably twice the tread that the rears did, and I did this swap at ~5800 miles.

I still have the OEM wheels. Not sure what I will do with them, thought about making them the summer set, and while I understand their appeal I'm not crazy about them. Also thought that I'd like a square set for the summer, too, so might just sell them and look for a set for the summer that I like even more than this Satin Bronze R350. (Honestly I wish these wheels were available in Satin Silver, or Titanium Grey or whatever SVE/LMR call their lighter finish, and would totally buy another set in that color for the Summer, but I'll not derail my own thread...)

Anyway, hope this helps someone out there with their decision about an all-season from Michelin.
WOW - that looks absolutely awesome! The bronze really goes well with the gray. Are those 19x10 FR and 19x11 RR? Funny enough, I was just looking at these wheels earlier today and thinking they would look damn good. Are you lowered at all? Stock PP2 suspension? Glad you were able to get a good set of square high performance all season Michelins. How does 285 look in the back on the 11" rim?

Enjoy!

OP
OP
traumkommode

traumkommode

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
why get a pp2 if you aren’t going to keep it setup for track use? A base GT premium would’ve been exactly what you wanted.
Are you asking sincerely? Because I'll answer if you are... but this feels a little presumptive.

WOW - that looks absolutely awesome! The bronze really goes well with the gray. Are those 19x10 FR and 19x11 RR? Funny enough, I was just looking at these wheels earlier today and thinking they would look damn good. Are you lowered at all? Stock PP2 suspension? Glad you were able to get a good set of square high performance all season Michelins. How does 285 look in the back on the 11" rim?

Enjoy!
Thanks! I don't think you'd be disappointed in them. Stock suspension and ride height, no lowering. The 285/35 is about 2mm wider overall diameter than the 305/30, so while the difference is small, it makes a big impact. I went 10" square so I can rotate the all seasons, so 285s weren't mounted on 11" wheels for me, but these are perfect for the 10".

My underlying intention was to share some first hand experience of the PS4 A/S since there isn't much up yet. They do improve upon the A/S 3+, and they give the car a lot more capability in cold and wet. Driven then several times in moderate and heavy rain, and felt fine in Normal mode, where the SC2s really needed Snow/Wet mode even in summer heat.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Coupe, 2020 GT350 Heritage
In all fairness, with that logic, why get a PP2 at all if you can get a gt350r for the track? Sometimes people just want things because. To each their own.

Sponsored

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Coupe, 2020 GT350 Heritage

Interesting post. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Have you considered having the wheels painted to your color of choice? The Coopers aren't bad. I had a set on my PP2 in OEM size and was happy with them. But it sounds like you know your tires.

So your car now runs 10s w ET35 all around? That's nice for rotating.

Question: Can you feel any difference in the rotational mass weight loss? Or is it disguised with change in tire set up?

Austin1992

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I want this tire so bad but they just don’t make it wide enough. Wanted to do like a 295-305 up front and a 325 rear. Considering doing a 285 square set up like you and having a 305 summer tire to swap on the rear when temps allow. Thanks for the write up!

Kurt in VT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium, 2014 Toyota 4Runner
I’ve got a GT Premium with PP1, and am just about to pull the trigger on a set of Pilot Sport All Seasons in the stock sizes. Thanks for your review - it sounds like I won’t be disappointed.

OP
OP
traumkommode

traumkommode

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Interesting post. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Have you considered having the wheels painted to your color of choice? The Coopers aren't bad. I had a set on my PP2 in OEM size and was happy with them. But it sounds like you know your tires.

So your car now runs 10s w ET35 all around? That's nice for rotating.

Question: Can you feel any difference in the rotational mass weight loss? Or is it disguised with change in tire set up?
Tony, thanks for the idea. I had not considered having the wheels refinished, but that is definitely an option and will provide me good nerdy research opportunity well I continue to recover from surgery. Yes I'm 10 inch wide 35 mm offset all the way around right now. The wheels are definitely lighter, but I went back and looked at these tires and these tires are actually about 4 lb heavier then the original SC2s, probably due to the extra layer of metal that makes the run-flats run flat. So I'm down about 24 lb. It is noticeable, but because these are PS4 A/S and not PS4S, I think I'm net zero about 50 degrees.

I want this tire so bad but they just don’t make it wide enough. Wanted to do like a 295-305 up front and a 325 rear. Considering doing a 285 square set up like you and having a 305 summer tire to swap on the rear when temps allow. Thanks for the write up!
Not a bad idea. I think I did see some 315 or 325 available that would have worked on the rear. I'm with you, though. A 295 square would made me happy, and I think that's what I'm going to run for the summer when it's time.

I’ve got a GT Premium with PP1, and am just about to pull the trigger on a set of Pilot Sport All Seasons in the stock sizes. Thanks for your review - it sounds like I won’t be disappointed.
You won't be! My first mustang was a PP1, and I switched from the PS4S set to PS3+ A/S for winter in stock staggered size and wasn't disappointed with those. Drove them Nov-Feb in Appalachian winter, no problems at all. These are the step up from those that Michelin advertises.

Scat2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
18 Dodge Charger scat pack
What about the cooper A/S tire in 305/30r19 ?

Sponsored
OP
OP
traumkommode

traumkommode

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
What about the cooper A/S tire in 305/30r19 ?
I saw that tire, it was available to install on the factory wheels, but I wanted to square the wheels anyway, and highest performance was a priority to me. I just trust Michelin and wanted what I wanted, but there are a few folks on here who drive the Coopers and like them. We don't get a lot of snow in Kansas City to need a snow tire, but when we do get snow it usually accumulates for a minute, so 285 seemed a little better for that than 305 since this is a daily driver car.

Austin1992

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Not a bad idea. I think I did see some 315 or 325 available that would have worked on the rear. I'm with you, though. A 295 square would made me happy, and I think that's what I'm going to run for the summer when it's time.
I have searched, unfortunately there’s nothing from 295-315 in an 18 or 19” rim and the one size they make in 325 is a full inch shorter than the stock pp1 rears.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I like the 350's on my PP2. Just gotta dump these Nitto tires early next year and get some Michelins.
Sponsored