Sponsored

PP/Manual transmission cars- are they "faster" in Sport/Track modes?

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
I understand that the performance pack auto 10 speed cars have different shift points depending on the mode and with any of the PP cars, the steering effort changes with each driving mode...but is the engine performance actually different between modes with manually shifted cars?

If so, what is different between the modes? Is the difference measurable in the quarter mile or 0-60?

Us base model guys can only sit back and wonder! :D
I also wonder if this means that I really need a custom tune (in addition to the axle ratio and tires) to keep up with a PP car...
Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
“No” is the short answer. The differences are related to engagement/limitations of stability and traction control.

The engine parameters don’t change to cause any different performance.

Any difference in acceleration will come from the driver’s skill level. Someone not familiar with the car would probably net better acceleration times leaving everything on. Someone who has practiced launching and shifting will cut better times without interference.

With everything turned off, there is a very lare difference on how the car behaves at the limit, though. In both wheel spin and the level of correction the electronics will step in with if things start to get squirmy. With all electronics off, these cars can be very twitchy at the limit and catch you off guard.

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
“No” is the short answer. The differences are related to engagement/limitations of stability and traction control.

The engine parameters don’t change to cause any different performance.

Any difference in acceleration will come from the driver’s skill level. Someone not familiar with the car would probably net better acceleration times leaving everything on. Someone who has practiced launching and shifting will cut better times without interference.

With everything turned off, there is a very lare difference on how the car behaves at the limit, though. In both wheel spin and the level of correction the electronics will step in with if things start to get squirmy. With all electronics off, these cars can be very twitchy at the limit and catch you off guard.
Thanks. That all makes sense.

Blufc3s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Premium GT PP1, 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
I understand that the performance pack auto 10 speed cars have different shift points depending on the mode and with any of the PP cars, the steering effort changes with each driving mode...but is the engine performance actually different between modes with manually shifted cars?

If so, what is different between the modes? Is the difference measurable in the quarter mile or 0-60?

Us base model guys can only sit back and wonder! :D
I also wonder if this means that I really need a custom tune (in addition to the axle ratio and tires) to keep up with a PP car...
Mine feels quicker in Sport and Track but I think it’s a function of the ecu responding sooner to input from the accelerator. I don’t think there’s any change to timing or other things that might increase HP.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Mine feels quicker in Sport and Track but I think it’s a function of the ecu responding sooner to input from the accelerator.
not so much 'responding faster' as changing the multiplier. Say you move the gas pedal 5 degrees in 'normal' and that gets translated to 10% throttle commanded. In sport that might be 18%. In sport+/track the throttle sensitivity increases noticeably so that it's easy to get all jerky in application until you recalibrate your ankle. For drag-strip launch ham-fisted throttle is welcomed for seat of pants "fast" sensation. Plus the A10 will absorb a lot of wild inputs since it's a sloppy connection and slush to begin with.

Erratic or outsized throttle changes on a road course because the damn thing is too sensitive is not a recipe for fast times. I had one tuner send me some tunes that had such atrocious throttle maps the car was completely undriveable. It probably would have been liveable with the A10 if 'snap response' was your goal. Then again it fueled like ASS, so I can't imagine anyone would have kept those tunes anyhow.
Sponsored

Last edited: