ShatterPoints

ShatterPoints

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Look for one with a transferable extended warranty. Lots of people bought those at the time of purchase, including me. Shouldn't be too hard to find one.
You can also buy an extended warranty at the time of purchase. Or even go through a 3rd party like Fidelity, or even Costco.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ShatterPoints

ShatterPoints

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Official RCA is in, confirmed spun bearing. Atleast that's where it all started. One of the rods was hanging out of the oil pan. Kevin pointed it out when we were first looking at things but it was hard to tell based on where it was and we didn't have good light or space to confirm.

Dealer started the car and let it warm up to running temp with the existing damage. Then pieces started flying. The timing chains got destroyed and the head was blindered. Rockers were missing and some shrapnel was shot into the valve cover. A wrist pin shot out of the oil pan and was spinning on the ground when they turned the motor off.

They got a new long block in Wednesday and I just got home from picking it up today.

-New long block
-New Tstat
-New water pump
-New oil pump
-New intake
-New flywheel
-New stay plate
-Oil filter housing cleaned and re-used
-Accessories cleaned and re-used

6dcZU7Q.jpeg

KvLVzEh.jpeg

Still within 10 miles of the initial 100 mile break in. I will be taking off work early today and going to spend some time to finish the break in. I can say there is a huge difference off the bat at part throttle compared to the old motor. There was a slight hesitation in part throttle between 2800 and 3500 rpm. That is gone and this motor drives much smoother than what I remember, otherwise it feels the same. *One other bit of good news is the tech pulled the trans (his preference?) and the clutch was mint, no heat marks, perfect wear pattern, plenty of meat left.

mattballislife

Threads
Reaction score
Website
ballislife.com
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
gt350R
Official RCA is in, confirmed spun bearing. Atleast that's where it all started. One of the rods was hanging out of the oil pan. Kevin pointed it out when we were first looking at things but it was hard to tell based on where it was and we didn't have good light or space to confirm.

Dealer started the car and let it warm up to running temp with the existing damage. Then pieces started flying. The timing chains got destroyed and the head was blindered. Rockers were missing and some shrapnel was shot into the valve cover. A wrist pin shot out of the oil pan and was spinning on the ground when they turned the motor off.

They got a new long block in Wednesday and I just got home from picking it up today.

-New long block
-New Tstat
-New water pump
-New oil pump
-New intake
-New flywheel
-New stay plate

6dcZU7Q.jpeg

KvLVzEh.jpeg

Still within 10 miles of the initial 100 mile break in. I will be taking off work early today and going to spend some time to finish the break in. I can say there is a huge difference off the bat at part throttle compared to the old motor. There was a slight hesitation in part throttle between 2800 and 3500 rpm. That is gone and this motor drives much smoother than what I remember, otherwise it feels the same. *One other bit of good news is the tech pulled the trans (his preference?) and the clutch was mint, no heat marks, perfect wear pattern, plenty of meat left.
Did you notice the difference in initial torque in sport mode? Sport mode for me in the lower RPM's is much more tame then before.

OP
OP
ShatterPoints

ShatterPoints

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Did you notice the difference in initial torque in sport mode? Sport mode for me in the lower RPM's is much more tame then before.
I don't like non linear throttle and so I run in track mode often if not always. I did get the sense of less torque in general in my 1st-> 2nd gear driving 0-45 mph on the way home. I thought it was just me not having driven in roughly 1 month. I am certain it drove smoother everywhere in the powerband though.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

-New long block
-New Tstat
-New water pump
-New oil pump
-New intake
-New flywheel
-New stay plate

6dcZU7Q.jpeg

KvLVzEh.jpeg

Glad you have it home and it's fixed.

What was the point of the dealership starting a vehicle where the rod was already protruding through the oil pan? To be like "uh, yup, there's the problem Barney, do ya hear that!?"

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShatterPoints

ShatterPoints

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Glad you have it home and it's fixed.

What was the point of the dealership starting a vehicle where the rod was already protruding through the oil pan? To be like "uh, yup, there's the problem Barney, do ya hear that!?"
I thought it odd for them to run it at all. The notes I gave them included ~20 seconds of run time after I towed the car to my house and there was no rod knock. They started the car once to try to move it after it was towed to the dealer and again no rod knock. So they started it to verify what I told them, then when they started it for a 3rd time there was rod knock. The tech said he wanted to see if it would get worse... well... to me its easy to conclude that yes it will get worse. I may have lucked out that additional catastrophic failure happened AT the dealership which makes it hard to say anything about a cause in particular.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
I noticed that too but the other way around. I have 2019 and drove 2018 on the track. The 2018 was noticeable slower at low RPM than my 2019. Ford achieved this with software upgrade starting with MY'19.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I noticed that too but the other way around. I have 2019 and drove 2018 on the track. The 2018 was noticeable slower at low RPM than my 2019. Ford achieved this with software upgrade starting with MY'19.
Ford should make that tune available for all… just sayin.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Ford should make that tune available for all… just sayin.
I think Ford dealer may do upgrade of ECU, worth to try.

Sponsored

Tony_the_Brit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
1:49 at Gingerman in 4th the whole way in my 19. That's only .3 off my best (I know - I'm not very fast).

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302

-New long block
-New Tstat
-New water pump
-New oil pump
-New intake
-New flywheel
-New stay plate

6dcZU7Q.jpeg

KvLVzEh.jpeg

Man... sad the wifey had to see that.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
1:49 at Gingerman in 4th the whole way in my 19. That's only .3 off my best (I know - I'm not very fast).
3rd gear everywhere except for 10b to 1 if on 35 series tires... if 30, you can use 4th 1 to 2, 3 to 5, 9 to 10 and 10 to 1 though...

I've ran 138s and my buddy got at least one 137 there...

StangRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350, 2016 Focus RS
I've only driven Gingerman once while driving a '14 GT/CS with more-or-less a boss 302 suspension and I did in 1:50. I'd love to take the 350 out for a spin there sometime...
Sponsored