Powerstop track day or stock PP pads

Thub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 speed
Hi guys, I've got a track day coming up wednesday and I'm going to be swapping pads before I go. I've got the powerstop trackday pads, as well as the stock PP pads on hand. Both need to be swapped in, so it's no extra work one way or the other.
What would you choose?
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
PP pads would be my first recommendation.
Are you going to Joliet or?

StrongFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, MT, Deep Impact Blue, 401A
Use your trackday pads they are designed to handle the heat of aggressive braking.

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
I run trackday pads for track and switch to their z26 pads for the street. Got tired of the stock PP brake pad dust while on street duty.

Sponsored

umarov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CO Premium PP
I used Powerstop pads for a whole season. They are good at the track. The dust can ruin the finish of your wheels. My wheels looked always dirty even when I cleaned them.

triox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Piotr
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018
I've used both on track and on the street. Though I'm not sure that the "stock" pads that you get at the dealer are the same that the car comes with.

TrackDay Powerstops are even dustier than stock PP pads and they squeak like crazy. They have narrower effective range but once you get them to temp, the bite is comparable.
I'd say you're good with either on the track, but if you go with PS, swap them after the event and keep PS for track only.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
OEM PP pads are plenty for most people, and definitely plenty if you're not running sticky tires. Use them.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
OEM PP pads are plenty for most people, and definitely plenty if you're not running sticky tires. Use them.
They are great but if you overheat them don't expect a lot from them and even on my local track where there is just 2 hard stops they only lasted like 170 race km's. Also they are much more expensive than some after market track pads.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
They are great but if you overheat them don't expect a lot from them and even on my local track where there is just 2 hard stops they only lasted like 170 race km's. Also they are much more expensive than some after market track pads.
It's quite possible that the EU cars don't have the same pads. The USA PP brembo pads are quite competent and hard to exceed w/o sticky tires and a skilled driver.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's quite possible that the EU cars don't have the same pads. The USA PP brembo pads are quite competent and hard to exceed w/o sticky tires and a skilled driver.
The EU Spec cars have the same pads I can confirm as I just change mine and they are same as US ones. They dust a lot and it might be just my 2 years old brake fluid but they overheated first time on track with not a lot of hard breaking and after 3 track days the front pads were gone. I just got my new ones installed today and I have Motul RBF 660 running as my brake fluid now so I expect this ones to last a bit more.

OP
OP
Thub

Thub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 speed
Thanks everyone, I ended up going with the factory performance pack pads, and was seriously impressed. I'm not an expert, but Blackhawk Farms is a hard track for a braking system, and while the pedal got a little low, it never went soft, and the pads never faded or got overly grabby (one of my complaints about the powerstop track day pads). By the end of the day, I'd gotten confident with the brakes on track for the first time, and as a result, it was an awesome day.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
By the end of the day, I'd gotten confident with the brakes on track for the first time, and as a result, it was an awesome day.
Yeah they are very consistent in fact even when they ware down to there last part of material I was only 0.7s slower than my best lap for the day that shows consistency.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The EU Spec cars have the same pads I can confirm as I just change mine and they are same as US ones. They dust a lot and it might be just my 2 years old brake fluid but they overheated first time on track with not a lot of hard breaking and after 3 track days the front pads were gone. I just got my new ones installed today and I have Motul RBF 660 running as my brake fluid now so I expect this ones to last a bit more.
I find it hard to blame fluid age for pads overheating.

Were those pads bedded in at all?

Norm
Sponsored