Sponsored

power packs and 91 gas?

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Just asking those who live in states like CA where 91 is highest octane available.

How are power packs doing with this gas? Do you often feel like gas quality is not up to engine?

Or, do you feel like 91 does not provide expected hp/tq gains?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
They are calibrated for 91.

Oceanside_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
Just asking those who live in states like CA where 91 is highest octane available.

How are power packs doing with this gas? Do you often feel like gas quality is not up to engine?

Or, do you feel like 91 does not provide expected hp/tq gains?
Yeah dude your tune optimizes the burn of your octane, so 91 or 93 doesn't matter. Powerpacks are crap anyway, so in the end it doesn't matter lol.

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
Can't speak for CA gas but I have/had the PP2 in AZ where 91 octane is also the highest available. The difference was pretty drastic compared to stock. It is how the car should have been from the factory. The only reason I am no longer using it is because I put headers on my car and needed to tune for them.

Sponsored

BEASTMASTER15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP
Same here in Utah...it's only 91 that's available. I've got the PP2 and it's a definite kick in the pants; especially in Sport Mode!!

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Can't speak for CA gas but I have/had the PP2 in AZ where 91 octane is also the highest available. The difference was pretty drastic compared to stock. It is how the car should have been from the factory. The only reason I am no longer using it is because I put headers on my car and needed to tune for them.
Yup our wonderful 91. And even though they took real e85 away from AZ at least we still have flex fuel which is still hands down better than the 91...

Oceanside_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
Coming from someone who doesn't have first hand experience.
Well I am often in Texas, and California is where I live now so I can definitely say that the difference between 91 and 93 is marginal. Of course, we have to keep in mind the environmental differences between Houston and San Diego like elevation, humidity, etc... still, the differences in power seem negligible when switching between 93 in Texas, and 91 in Cali. I like to run my flex tune in Cali though, E85 is plentiful where I am located so it's nice to have that option. I say power packs are a waste because they are basic upgrades that people surpass when they get their first CAI w/ tune... which is a Power Pack 1 in the first place. Add a Cat-back exhaust instead of the axle-back that is offered and you have already surpassed the offered power packs performance gains. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the conversation?

re-rx7

Ruck the night away
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
Well I am often in Texas, and California is where I live now so I can definitely say that the difference between 91 and 93 is marginal. Of course, we have to keep in mind the environmental differences between Houston and San Diego like elevation, humidity, etc... still, the differences in power seem negligible when switching between 93 in Texas, and 91 in Cali. I like to run my flex tune in Cali though, E85 is plentiful where I am located so it's nice to have that option. I say power packs are a waste because they are basic upgrades that people surpass when they get their first CAI w/ tune... which is a Power Pack 1 in the first place. Add a Cat-back exhaust instead of the axle-back that is offered and you have already surpassed the offered power packs performance gains. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the conversation?
The power packs are great, drive-ability is great and warranty stays intact. 93 makes a big difference n power pack power production. Ive ran many aftermarket tuned 5.0's in my car. Its either dead even or I pull. The mid range punch is perfect. The car drives like stock but the increase is just phenomenal.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Tuners can find the difference between 91 and 93 octane very easily. It's called timing.

Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I'm a lazy SOB and have not installed my stage 2 even after having it in the box for a year. BTW there is only 93 around here.

Last edited:

rayban1

Rayban1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium Guard
I also have a PP2 , I have not installed yet. 91 around here. Reviews all seem good with PP2 and 91 or 93. Wondering if any one has gone from a PP2 to a 18 manifold and tune. Kind of why I have not installed yet,,,,,I have done some suspension upgrades and it hooks pretty well stock, thinking the PP2 will be all I need for street use.....

GritzNGravy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I a lazy SOB and have not installed my stage 2 even after having it in the box for a year. BTW there is only 93 around here.
Your not the only lazy one. I had pp3 in my room for over a year also before I installed it. Now just about a year of driving the pp3 I just received a Whipple stg 2, and now its sitting there. I hope it doesn't take me a year to get around to installing it though...

k4show

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP
I've ran my PP2 with 93 and 91 and both ran fine. It felt a bit stronger on 93, but perhaps it's all in my head.

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
We have plenty of both E85 and 93 around here. na na na naaaa na. :)
Sponsored