Sponsored

Power Pack 2 pinging on 91...now what?

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Got it installed at a Ford dealership. Took it to a shop to get dyno'd today to see what kind of power she's making. They said they heard audible knock between about 3500 RPM in third and to dyno in 5th wouldn't be safe for the car. It's running on Shell 91.
The Ford dealer assured me it was a 91 tune.

Could this be a bad batch of gas?
I have the option to run 94 but I don't know if Ford can do anything if I take it back to them and ask for them to look into it...
Sponsored

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
When I had PP3 the shop that did it advised me to keep “octane adjust” on while on Cali 91. It drops the initial timing a little bit. I think the car will survive with it on but you won’t get full timing and it sounds frightening in a bad way.

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
When I had PP3 the shop that did it advised me to keep “octane adjust” on while on Cali 91. It drops the initial timing a little bit. I think the car will survive with it on but you won’t get full timing and it sounds frightening in a bad way.
How did it sound with octane adjust on? Wouldn't it have sounded worse with octane adjust off and pinging from low quality 91?

Last edited:

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
How did it sound with octane adjust on? Wouldn't it have sounded worse with octane adjust of a pinging from low quality 91?
I only heard pinging at throttle tip-in, a little rattle that was most obvious when driving next to a wall or truck. It goes away as the engine revs up and the ecu pulls timing. OA just starts off with timing already retarded a bit. FP swears this is normal behavior, and I’m sure they’re right.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
They said they heard audible knock between about 3500 RPM in third
What the logs say ? Was it pulling timing ? Should be long before you hear any sort of detonation.

Sponsored

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6SPD Premium PP1
Is this setup to leave on in the procal? Just curious since I'm installing my pp2 soon. Would want to leave this on.

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6SPD Premium PP1
Got it installed at a Ford dealership. Took it to a shop to get dyno'd today to see what kind of power she's making. They said they heard audible knock between about 3500 RPM in third and to dyno in 5th wouldn't be safe for the car. It's running on Shell 91.
The Ford dealer assured me it was a 91 tune.

Could this be a bad batch of gas?
I have the option to run 94 but I don't know if Ford can do anything if I take it back to them and ask for them to look into it...
Do you have an air oil Seperator? I read it helps not lower the octane once installed. I was thinking of installing one along with my pp2. Also in CA on 91.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
They didn't hear anything. Spark advance will be pulled way before outside knock is heard....
Need to watch the data real time, and log on the dyno.

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
Got it installed at a Ford dealership. Took it to a shop to get dyno'd today to see what kind of power she's making. They said they heard audible knock between about 3500 RPM in third and to dyno in 5th wouldn't be safe for the car. It's running on Shell 91. The Ford dealer assured me it was a 91 tune. Could this be a bad batch of gas? I have the option to run 94 but I don't know if Ford can do anything if I take it back to them and ask for them to look into it...
Wouldn't the safe bet be to just start running the available 94 octane? Try leaving ave octane adjust off and try it on and see which runs smoother/better. The Ford dealer won't and can't make changes to the Power Pack tune anyways other than the allowable changes withing the Ford Performance software. Hopefully you gave them your laptop to load the software and tune.

Sponsored

Dom1232

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dominic
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
91 gas is typically terrible quality that being said I would be surprised if you were genuinely detonating. Run 94 if you have it available. /edit. My bad you’re in Canada I thought you were in CA. As mentioned before you’d be pulling spark advance long before you’d ever be hearing it detonate. I would log the car and see what your knock sensors / spark advance are actually doing. I really doubt the ford tune is too aggressive and you’re genuinely detonating on shell 91.....

Last edited:

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Or you could get a real tune from one of the big names and actually do some data logging unlike that garbage power pack tune in a can.

OP
OP
lazarus870

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
What the logs say ? Was it pulling timing ? Should be long before you hear any sort of detonation.
Didn't get any logs. Dyno operator and tech both heard and decided to shut it down.

Do you have an air oil Seperator? I read it helps not lower the octane once installed. I was thinking of installing one along with my pp2. Also in CA on 91.
No oil seperator, just stock aside from PP2.

They didn't hear anything. Spark advance will be pulled way before outside knock is heard....
Need to watch the data real time, and log on the dyno.
So what would the noise be then? I tested it myself next to a barrier, gave it throttle at the RPM they said it was doing it and it sounded like shaking a quarter in a jar.

Wouldn't the safe bet be to just start running the available 94 octane? Try leaving ave octane adjust off and try it on and see which runs smoother/better. The Ford dealer won't and can't make changes to the Power Pack tune anyways other than the allowable changes withing the Ford Performance software. Hopefully you gave them your laptop to load the software and tune.
I just filled up with 94 Chevron, ethanol free. I had about 30-35% left of Shell 91 and topped off with 94 Chevron. I don't know how long it takes to adjust, but I swear it felt more responsive in initial tip in and I couldn't make the rattle sound come back. Hard to believe it would be solved so quickly though!

91 gas is typically terrible quality that being said I would be surprised if you were genuinely detonating. Run 94 if you have it available. /edit. My bad you’re in Canada I thought you were in CA. As mentioned before you’d be pulling spark advance long before you’d ever be hearing it detonate. I would log the car and see what your knock sensors / spark advance are actually doing. I really doubt the ford tune is too aggressive and you’re genuinely detonating on shell 91.....
I have 94, filled up with it with some 91 left so maybe 92.5 octane now? haha

They didn't log the car to see what was happening, this was all audible. But if I am still having problems on 94 they said they could give it a custom tune to actually work with 91 and they said they'd have no issues reusing the Ford CAI and TB that came with the PP2

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't get any logs. Dyno operator and tech both heard and decided to shut it down.
They never looked ? Go somewhere else would be my suggestion.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Just fill up with 94 from now on. The price difference vs 91 is marginal on its best day and then you'll have some good headroom and you'll get the full timing that's coded into the tune.
Sponsored