Sponsored

Powdercoating GTPP wheels and recommendations in Houston

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
I just finished applying a ceramic coating on my paint and took the opportunity to do the same with my GTPP wheels since the weather's been nice out. I was prepping the wheels for the coating and started to notice how hammered the finish was. This car is my DD so I expect to see chips here and there, but it's damn near impossible to keep the OEM finish looking nice. I'm not sure if the paint/clear is thinner than other wheels I've had in the past or if it's the fact that defects are more apparent on black paint.

I was frustrated with the finish on the OEM wheels when I was looking at them up close. In mine, the barrels and some of the areas between spokes seem to have a very thin base/color coat. It almost looks like they didn't achieve full coverage in certain spots and just sprayed over it with clearcoat.

I plan on replacing the tires soon, and was thinking about getting the rims powdercoated gloss black at the same time. I did a search and found one user who did this, but there were only a few posts and the pictures were removed/blocked by Photobucket.

Does anyone have any experience or tips (what kind of powder/finishes should I ask shops about, thoughts on durability, etc)?

Can any Houston members recommend a place for this type of work?

Thanks
Sponsored

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I have the same weird issues in the paint on my OEM GT350 wheels too...

Also, the paint is SUPER soft and has tons of little micro scratches now. I washed the wheels then stacked them up with cardboard discs between the wheels exactly like a wheel/tire vendor would ship them. I picked up a ton of little scratches even from just shifting the wheels around while stacking them. If you ever try to wash the wheels with a nylon bristle brush instead of a soft towel, forget it!

I'm planning on powder coating them or maybe a really high quality automotive paint and get them ceramic coated. I'm in for suggestions/info as well.

OP
OP

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
I have the same weird issues in the paint on my OEM GT350 wheels too...

Also, the paint is SUPER soft and has tons of little micro scratches now. I washed the wheels then stacked them up with cardboard discs between the wheels exactly like a wheel/tire vendor would ship them. I picked up a ton of little scratches even from just shifting the wheels around while stacking them. If you ever try to wash the wheels with a nylon bristle brush instead of a soft towel, forget it!

I'm planning on powder coating them or maybe a really high quality automotive paint and get them ceramic coated. I'm in for suggestions/info as well.
That's very similar to my experience. I bought these as new takeoffs so they were in pretty good condition when I got them. I wash them with a clean dedicated microfiber mitt and only use wheel woolies to clean the barrels and a boar's hair brush on the lug holes. I spray them off thoroughly beforehand to remove loose contaminants, and do my best to follow best practices of detailing. If you were to look at them under an LED, you would think that I used a dirty dishrag or something, not to mention all the chips.

Do your GT350s also look like the factory "skimped out" on the paint in areas between the spokes and in the barrels?

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
That's very similar to my experience. I bought these as new takeoffs so they were in pretty good condition when I got them. I wash them with a clean dedicated microfiber mitt and only use wheel woolies to clean the barrels and a boar's hair brush on the lug holes. I spray them off thoroughly beforehand to remove loose contaminants, and do my best to follow best practices of detailing. If you were to look at them under an LED, you would think that I used a dirty dishrag or something, not to mention all the chips.

Do your GT350s also look like the factory "skimped out" on the paint in areas between the spokes and in the barrels?
Yeah, there's areas in the base coat that are clearly lightly sprayed and show a little more sparkle of aluminum.
Sponsored