Sponsored

Potential Voodoo Engine Swap

gdillon556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 fastback
So I was just curious if anyone has heard of any Voodoo swaps (the engine in the gt350) yet. I have a 67 fastback and I was looking into doing this. However, in order to do this I have to find a wrecked car or something of that nature so I can pull the engine and not spend $60k doing so. Also has anyone heard of any cams being built for gt350s. MMR is now building short blocks with brand new flat plane cranks. Very cool. The problem is that in order to use said short block, you still need special cams. Remember that the Voodoo has a special firing order compared to the coyote. I cannot simply stick a coyote gt350 spec cam in there with the flat plane crank. I'll even take stock cams. I'm very surprised Comp and L&M don't make any cams. One more thing to think about is a computer. AEM makes the Infinity computers for coyotes, but could the firing order be changed. If anybody knows of any cams for the gt350 or engine swaps that have already happened please let me know. I appreciate any help I can get.
Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
So I was just curious if anyone has heard of any Voodoo swaps (the engine in the gt350) yet. I have a 67 fastback and I was looking into doing this. However, in order to do this I have to find a wrecked car or something of that nature so I can pull the engine and not spend $60k doing so. Also has anyone heard of any cams being built for gt350s. MMR is now building short blocks with brand new flat plane cranks. Very cool. The problem is that in order to use said short block, you still need special cams. Remember that the Voodoo has a special firing order compared to the coyote. I cannot simply stick a coyote gt350 spec cam in there with the flat plane crank. I'll even take stock cams. I'm very surprised Comp and L&M don't make any cams. One more thing to think about is a computer. AEM makes the Infinity computers for coyotes, but could the firing order be changed. If anybody knows of any cams for the gt350 or engine swaps that have already happened please let me know. I appreciate any help I can get.
Honestly, I would think a 5.2l aluminator would be a better swap and cost. Most of the wrecked cars, the voodoo engines are still selling for primo dollars.
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-A52XS

Last edited:

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R

Spartanator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Stage 3 Roush
Plenty of Flooded 350 cars in Houston. My local dealer had one on the show room floor, carpet got wet but that was about it.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Plenty of Flooded 350 cars in Houston. My local dealer had one on the show room floor, carpet got wet but that was about it.
Price? LOL Bet it is still cheaper to buy a 5.2L Aluminator.

Sponsored

Spartanator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Stage 3 Roush

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You need to look at the inherent NVH issues for a swap. I'm not smart enough to know the answer re your swap, but I know that is an issue to consider. I have a 17R and was thinking about going the other way (changing it out for a CPC). Seems that the CPC in the Voodoo block makes 580 HP. Is that the Aluminator?

http://performance.ford.com/enthusi...k-at-the-5-2l-aluminator-xs-crate-engine.html

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-A52XS
I think that part of the difference and why it makes more power is the Aluminator 5.2 is not emissions compliant?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Pretty sure the Voodoo's cams are maxed out as far as they can go. The limiting factor in power and biggest bottleneck I think is the throttle body and intake manifold as a combo. Tests against the CJ intake were minimal gains. A whole new thought process with the entire intake system would be needed to make vast improvements to the Voodoo. FWIW, JLT intake and VMP's tune puts about 560 to the crank. For perspective, the old R8 Plus was putting out 525 HP with the same displacement and more revs.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I think that part of the difference and why it makes more power is the Aluminator 5.2 is not emissions compliant?
Pretty much the only reason really. Take a Voodoo and delete the cats and tune it on 93 octane and itlll make more than the 580bhp advertised with the CPC.

Simple physics, the CPC version without some other significant changes (which I don't believe are evident with the Aluminator) cannot make more power than the FPC version of the same engine when levelling the playing field in regards of emissions and durability standards.

Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Pretty sure the Voodoo's cams are maxed out as far as they can go. The limiting factor in power and biggest bottleneck I think is the throttle body and intake manifold as a combo. Tests against the CJ intake were minimal gains. A whole new thought process with the entire intake system would be needed to make vast improvements to the Voodoo. FWIW, JLT intake and VMP's tune puts about 560 to the crank. For perspective, the old R8 Plus was putting out 525 HP with the same displacement and more revs.
Intakes are proven to just be money grabs. A stock intake is almost never the restriction, and a larger one isn't necessary until the engine can literally flow more than it can take in... which doesn't happen until big, big power levels. The stock intake might have some corrugation and a poor paper filter, but it's marketing capitalizing on those who don't know any better that an intake is going to net any meaningful gains.

And the R8's V10 made less torque too! :D

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
NVH is going to be a major issue in that old of a car. There are so many magnets, dampers, rubber, and other parts to prevent NVH from being audible or transferring into the car. Putting that motor into a 67 with loose window tracts, no padding inside the dash, and little sound deadening is going to make that thing sound like a tin can with marbles in it. Not to mention the cost.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Intakes are proven to just be money grabs. A stock intake is almost never the restriction, and a larger one isn't necessary until the engine can literally flow more than it can take in... which doesn't happen until big, big power levels. The stock intake might have some corrugation and a poor paper filter, but it's marketing capitalizing on those who don't know any better that an intake is going to net any meaningful gains.
You are not wrong about this. My comment being you can't just take that intake and work off of it. You'd need a completely new thinking like dual TB's and runners or something like that. That is if it even is an improvement. LS guys run into this all the time changing manifolds. They lose all of their LS'ness down low just to spin out to 7300RPM. And they have nothing under 5000. Why...? Unless becauseracecare sure, but if not, wtf man?

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
Nobody has done any Voodoo swaps to our knowledge. If somebody has, it would have been posted already. It is too cost prohibitive. If you have deep pockets, go ahead and be the first human to do so. :thumbsup:

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
You are not wrong about this. My comment being you can't just take that intake and work off of it. You'd need a completely new thinking like dual TB's and runners or something like that. That is if it even is an improvement. LS guys run into this all the time changing manifolds. They lose all of their LS'ness down low just to spin out to 7300RPM. And they have nothing under 5000. Why...? Unless becauseracecare sure, but if not, wtf man?
Yeah no doubt, and I completely agree with you there. ITB's would be a dream but even dual setup would definitely be a first step towards improvements. I actually think making a lot more power with this engine is going to necessitate much lighter internal components.

And I get what ya mean, in order for them to keep the LS type power, they're basically looking at a big block motor aka the LS7 that actually decently combines low end grunt with a rev happy motor, but then they need 7.0 litres to accomplish that soo haha
Sponsored