Sponsored

Post your pictures of how Ford doesn't give a crap

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I'm not sure that I'd be able to tell by knocking on it... but with the 16, it was obviously CF...this one, you cant tell by looking at it and like I said, it's got some wavy in it. I hadn't considered that it could be anything but CF but the look does slightly resemble gel coat. I'm going to need to look at a couple other cars. I know there are some local Rs - maybe we can meet up soon.
Getting mine back from my ppf guy Monday. Will see if I can tell
Sponsored

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
Can anyone comment on the finish of their R Wing? on my 16, the paint looked consistent - you could every so slightly make out that there was a little texture of carbon under there but overall it was great. On my 20, the paint (or very likely the resin) looks.....a big globbed on there. Just some inconsistent wavyness. WIll try to get pictures.
I have a hard time noticing the weave on my wing. Like you said, it just looks like a thick layer of paint.

IMG_1669.jpg

IMG_1670.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

Honestly the only weave that I do see is on the inner barrel of the rear wheels.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I'm not sure that I'd be able to tell by knocking on it... but with the 16, it was obviously CF...this one, you cant tell by looking at it and like I said, it's got some wavy in it. I hadn't considered that it could be anything but CF but the look does slightly resemble gel coat. I'm going to need to look at a couple other cars. I know there are some local Rs - maybe we can meet up soon.
Interesting. Do the specs still say the wing is CF? I don't believe Ford would call it CF if it wasn't.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I have a hard time noticing the weave on my wing. Like you said, it just looks like a thick layer of paint.

IMG_1669.jpg

IMG_1670.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

Honestly the only weave that I do see is on the inner barrel of the rear wheels.
You won't see any weave. It is painted so that the CF work doesn't have to be perfect. They just paint over the carbon fiber and its imperfections.

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
You won't see any weave. It is painted so that the CF work doesn't have to be perfect. They just paint over the carbon fiber and its imperfections.
I mistook Jeff's reply that he could see the weave on his old R wing. They must use a thinner layer of paint on the rear barrels then because I can see the Carbon Fiber there.

Sponsored

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I havent looked at anyone elses but my 16, you could not see the actual weave but you could detect the very faint texture of it that transferred up through the paint.

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Interesting. Do the specs still say the wing is CF? I don't believe Ford would call it CF if it wasn't.
Yes, they do. I saw someone else post that they had a nib of cf strand showing through the paint on their wing. Perhaps Ford (or whoever) decided to really lay the paint on at some point, if they had any previous issues. Honestly, I preferred the original look. It's a little uneven looking but I guess this might not fall under Ford not giving a crap.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I havent looked at anyone elses but my 16, you could not see the actual weave but you could detect the very faint texture of it that transferred up through the paint.
I dont have that on any of my wings. It is a surface prepped for paint. The impression I get from the 3 i had were that they were all very light and had very good rigidity.

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I dont have that on any of my wings. It is a surface prepped for paint. The impression I get from the 3 i had were that they were all very light and had very good rigidity.
im going to try to look at some other local ones. I have an eye for seeing it ;)

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
im going to try to look at some other local ones. I have an eye for seeing it ;)
As do I, and its more than just a look. You pretty much know when you handle CF. Get the car on the freeway up to some substantial speed, the fiberglass knockoffs never really held up very well under load.

I think its just more of Ford not giving a crap and providing a crappy paint job. That can be fixed.

Edited to add:
If you opt for repaint, ensure you are getting shadow black. It has a little bit of blue metalic flake in the paint. Take a high power led flashlight to it and see what I'm talking about.

Sponsored
OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
As do I, and its more than just a look. You pretty much know when you handle CF. Get the car on the freeway up to some substantial speed, the fiberglass knockoffs never really held up very well under load.

I think its just more of Ford not giving a crap and providing a crappy paint job. That can be fixed.

Edited to add:
If you opt for repaint, ensure you are getting shadow black. It has a little bit of blue metalic flake in the paint. Take a high power led flashlight to it and see what I'm talking about.
It’s just different. @Rev Happy abice looks like it might be the same as mine but hard to tell. Instead of guessing, I’ll check out another one and figure it out.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
It’s just different. @Rev Happy abice looks like it might be the same as mine but hard to tell. Instead of guessing, I’ll check out another one and figure it out.
Thats just a bad paint job and orange peel. A thorough paint correction will take care of that.

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Thats just a bad paint job and orange peel. A thorough paint correction will take care of that.
I might not be explaining it right. I've had both at this point and it's more than paint. You're guessing without having seen them both. I need to get another one side by side so I can get some Macro shots. I'll send them along when I have them.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I might not be explaining it right. I've had both at this point and it's more than paint. You're guessing without having seen them both. I need to get another one side by side so I can get some Macro shots. I'll send them along when I have them.
I thought you said it looked like rev happy's wing. That to me looks like a bad paint job (orange peel and variance in depth). You are right, I'm not sure what you are talking about if that's not it.

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I thought you said it looked like rev happy's wing. That to me looks like a bad paint job (orange peel and variance in depth). You are right, I'm not sure what you are talking about if that's not it.
I did say "might" :) It's hard to tell without super close ups. I'll gather more data and see. WIll get your opinion when I post up some new pics.
Sponsored