Sponsored

Post YOUR home made meals or sandwich

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
the trick to anything with lots of connective tissue is low and SLOW. Some people boil ribs first (better to seau-vie) to get the heat to penetrate the tissue without drying or otherwise 'roasting' the flesh.
Sponsored

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
can you post how to smoke your brisket? I may pick one up. Costco has two types, point, and flat I think its called. the point is massive I think, and flat was the piece you primarily want?

Quite expensive, 30-40 dollars for a brisket. but I am interested in smoking one

also- saw this post after, I want to make beef short ribs too. Costco sells both brisket, ribs, beef short ribs. all ive been managing to smoke is baby back ribs. ive never had beef short ribs.

No problem.

First off, the brisket. A whole brisket contains both the point and the flat. You want the flat for slicing (or chopping, my wife likes it chopped) and the point for burnt ends.

Step 1. Buy a whole brisket from Costco or Sams. Start with a smaller one poundage wise. It takes a loonnnggg time to cook. This should be between noon and 3 pm. Get the brisket in the smoker by 5, and it'll be ready for dinner the next day.

Step 2. Now that you're home from the store, grab a beer.

Step 3. Lay the brisket on a cutting board or some wax paper on the counter, fat side up. You want to use a really sharp knife and trim some of the fat off of the bottom, leaving about an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch of fat. You will also want to trim some of the thick vein of fat between the point and the flat.You'll be cutting thick solid chunks of fat out of there. Next time a cook one, I'll post some pics.

Step 4. Season the brisket. There's a huge debate over seasoning the fat side. I do. Rub is not that expensive, especially when I make my own. It's called rub. So literally rub it all over the brisket. A pair of food worker gloves helps. Just massage it all in there.

Step 5. Repeat Step 2.

Step 6. Leave the brisket on the counter and fire up the smoker. I usually leave the meat on the counter for a about an hour to a) let the rub melt into the meat some and b) let the meat come up to temp a bit. Typically, I run my smoker at about 240-250 degrees. Once the smoker and grates are up to temp, in goes the brisket. The other big debate is fat side up or fat side down. I'm a fat side down guy (also a fat guy, but I like so food). I've tried it both ways, and I really don't think it makes a difference.

Depending on what type of smoker you use, you want to start adding wood chunks to the pit / fire box. I've had bullet smokers, drum smokers, offset smokers and now a vertical chute smoker. I love the current set-up. Whatever you have, really doesn't matter, unless it's a pellet smoker. I haven't used a pellet smoker, but my neighbor has one and loves his. I don't think it puts enough smoke in the meat, but I like it smokey.

Step 7. Keep up the wood chunks and watch the charcoal. I use a combination of hickory and either apple or cherry wood. I keep the smoke rolling until the internal temp on the meat hits about 165 degrees. Once there, you have two options, to either wrap or not wrap. The meat / temps will stall around 170-180 degrees and just hoover there for a while (hours). Wrapping it will help. Wrapping will also soften the crust or bark on the meat. I've wrapped in butcher paper and foil. Either works. Once you wrap, no need for wood chunks. Just charcoal to keep the temp going. If you don't wrap, that's fine. Watch your smoker temp. Bark is good, burnt is bad.

Step 8. Garb a lawn chair and glass of bourbon and settle in next the smoker.

Step 9. Check the meat temp. If you have remote thermometer, that's great. I need to get me one. Once the brisket gets to 195-200 degrees, pull it out and bring it in the house. At this point, your significant other will start sniffing around looking for a sample. (Insert your choice of "Sample this meat " joke here). Do not put out the charcoal. Keep it going, you're going to need it for the burnt ends. Get you your sharp knife out and separate the flat from the point. Wrap the flat in butcher paper or foil and place it an old cooler. It needs to rest for at least an hour.

Step 10. Mimosa time!

Step 11. Cut the point into bite-sized pieces. I have a couple of pans that have 5 mm +/- holes in them, like a giant sieve or colander. Dump all of the pieces into the pan, and re-apply a generous helping of whatever rub you used. Also apply a good dose of your favorite bbq sauce. The fam likes Sweet baby Ray's. To me, that's too sweet. I like a smokier sauce. But whatever. Just sauce and rub them up, and put them back into the smoker. Crank up the heat a bit and throw in a few more pieces of wood. I usually leave them in for about an hour or two, This is where things can get dicey. We like our burnt ends to be a little burnt. Not a lot, but not just cubed and sauced pieces of meat. Crisp them up a bit. But you have to keep an eye on them. Stir them up. I typically leave some of the fattier pieces in the mix, just to help baste and flavor the rest of the meat. Once the ends look like how you like them, pull them out. You can snack on these while you slice or chop the flat that has been resting in the cooler.

Step 12. (Oh shit, I swear I did not plan on this being a twelve step program). Any way, step 12 is to sit back, relax, and enjoy everyone praising and carrying on about your meat :giggle:.

I try to plan on about 1.5 to 2 hours per pound on the cook, but it's done when it's done. Watch the temp of both the smoker and the meat. You can speed up the cook a bit by wrapping the meat at 165 degrees. You can also run it a little hotter at this point, if you're worried about time. I've also worried about running out of charcoal in the middle of the night, so once it hit 165, I wrapped it in foil and threw it the oven! Absolutely no shame in finishing it in the oven (but you might have your Man Card pulled).

If it's a little under done, and not quite melt in you mouth, slice it thin. If it's a little over done, slice it a little thicker. Or, for either, you can always chop it. I have a butcher knife I use like a japanese chef and chop the hell out of it. Sprinkle in a little bit of the fatty pieces and some dash of run or a couple teaspoons of sauce and have it.

Next brisket, I 'll take a bunch of pics and post them up.

Roll the smoke!

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Never got a notification of a reply! thanks. I will post photos when I brisket this summer.

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
@FreePenguin and others, check out the Sam's Brisket thread for an on-going brisket cook.

Sponsored

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
Yesterdays breakfast: 3 egg omelet with asparagus, artichoke heart, tomato, sautéed onion and champignon triple cream cheese.

IMG_1403.jpg

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
All this yummy food in this thread and I just had Cool Ranch Doritos Nachos with just sharp shredded cheddar. Didn't take a pic but it's not worthy here lol.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
All this yummy food in this thread and I just had Cool Ranch Doritos Nachos with just sharp shredded cheddar. Didn't take a pic but it's not worthy here lol.
I love Doritos! lol
The sweet/spicy chili Doritos and spicy hot ones are good.

Sponsored