Possible Transmission Issue At 4,000 Miles...Extremely Discouraged

damships

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10 PP1 (Rapid Red)
My current vehicle is a Mustang 2018 GT Base Model. It was purchased new so still under Manufacturer Warranty. I've attached two videos I briefly recorded to showcase my concerns.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/80c9wygiqkybrud/Video Nov 09, 3 27 43 PM.mov?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iuvrohx5ulgtp7q/Video Nov 10, 11 59 31 AM.mov?dl=0

One was recorded yesterday, showing this clinking noise that's been irritating me on and off for two weeks. I've been hearing it near the center console and stick shift. I hear it when going over bumps, sitting or getting up from the driver's seat, or when driving slowly around parking lots. It sounds almost like a tin water bottle clinking and moving around. In the video, I just moved around in the driver's seat and tried recording the noise since the car was off.

The other video is the one that has me extremely worried. I recorded it today. I came out of the store earlier today, turned on the car, started accelerating and began hearing some clicking noise. I notice it when pressing on the gas or letting go of the gas. This one sounds like the transmission, but I'm not 100% sure. So I got home and began hitting the gas while in Park and recorded the video. I wish the sound was clearer in the video, but it sounds like some loud clicking noise. (Sorry, my dog is in the background peeing in this video lol)

Thankfully, I'm off tomorrow for Veteran's Day. I'm going to the dealership first thing in the morning to have them look at the car. I'm just extremely discouraged at this point thus far. This is the first Mustang I've ever owned. I've waited years to own this car and all I've experienced are odd noises and concerns at 4,000 miles. I even hear the damn gas sloshing around sometimes as well. It's so discouraging getting a car you've wanted forever and then having nothing but issues.

Prior to this, I owned Toyotas and Hyundai's and never had any issues with them, ever. Kept up with their regular maintenance and hit 150,000 miles on both without issues or concerns. Here I am with my Ford at 4,000 miles and concerns galore. Sigh...
Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
That's the BBQ tick you're hearing. Ford has said it's "normal". My 2016 had the same noise and it was embarrassing to drive.

This page is full of tick/rattle threads. There's different sounds, but yours is pretty typical BBQ tick.

It usually starts at the first oil change. Nobody knows what actually causes it and whether it's harmful or not.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Mine has that flutter when I let off too, its worse when its cold out. My dealer replaced my cam phasers to try to fix that but that didnt do anything.

That other sound, I dont know what it is it doesnt sound like the bbq tick to me. could be exhaust hitting somewhere under your car. My car has been fine for 15k miles. You could try adding ceratec to your oil.

OP
OP
damships

damships

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the feedback guys. I took it to the dealer today, but of course today, everything worked like a dream. I took it for an oil change and no noises all day. I scheduled a service appointment three weeks from now so they can keep the car all day and see what’s going on with that noise near the stick. Looking at other videos I do think I maybe it was the BBQ tick noise...it’s just odd how it was so prevalent yesterday and today nothing at all.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Thanks for the feedback guys. I took it to the dealer today, but of course today, everything worked like a dream. I took it for an oil change and no noises all day. I scheduled a service appointment three weeks from now so they can keep the car all day and see what’s going on with that noise near the stick. Looking at other videos I do think I maybe it was the BBQ tick noise...it’s just odd how it was so prevalent yesterday and today nothing at all.
I find colder weather brings noises out quite a bit more. Also the car being cold as well. If they kept it overnight and did a cold start and listened I bet they could hear it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
damships

damships

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
I find colder weather brings noises out quite a bit more. Also the car being cold as well. If they kept it overnight and did a cold start and listened I bet they could hear it.
I have heard the noise again with the cold start in the morning and then it goes away within minutes. I’m not concerned with the ticking, but I do hear a light clicking when coming off the gas when it’s cold. Then it goes away within minutes.

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
My ride sat in the garage for a week. It's a cold start to winter in Pennsylvania and many nights at or below 20 degrees. Started and backed out - idled for 10 minutes and its 41 outside. Was working in the garage and listening to the engine. Quiet at start-five minutes in and just noisy - 10 minutes quiet again. Quick 20 mile ride and quiet as a mouse and back into the garage.

I think these engines are just noisy. Currently my DD is a 17 Toyota 4Runner. You should here how noisy this 4L V6 sounds is in comparison to the Mustang - you think its a diesel engine its so noisy. Wife drives a V6 Camry. Quiet as a mouse.

I would be concerned if there was excessive oil consumption, drop in MPG, severe clanking or grinding, oil and water mixing, excessive metal flakes in oil. If none of this-watch it and drive it.

Just my two cents and good luck

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hadelson,

I had a new Toyota back in 2007 that the worst valve train clatter you could imagine on cold days. I sold it at 117,00 miles and the second owner was over 200,000 miles with no issues.

There are many threads of the coyote tick, but to the best of my knowledge no engine failures attributable to this.

OP
OP
damships

damships

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
Once again, thanks for the feedback everyone. I took it to the dealership today and they did state it was the BBQ ticking noise. My concern now, however, is I’m hearing a slight grind when releasing the accelerator when car is cold. The ticking also gets more intense when accelerating. All of this stops, however, when the car is up to temperature. The tech did fix some interior noises in the car that were loose bolts. But I’m at a point where I’m going to see what the best 4,000 miles brings me before my next oil change. If it remains stagnant or gets worse, I’m scheduling another appointment where they hopefully keep it over night and do a fresh cold start and hit the accelerator. Do you guys know if any accompanying acceleration noises with the tick?

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Once again, thanks for the feedback everyone. I took it to the dealership today and they did state it was the BBQ ticking noise. My concern now, however, is I’m hearing a slight grind when releasing the accelerator when car is cold. The ticking also gets more intense when accelerating. All of this stops, however, when the car is up to temperature. The tech did fix some interior noises in the car that were loose bolts. But I’m at a point where I’m going to see what the best 4,000 miles brings me before my next oil change. If it remains stagnant or gets worse, I’m scheduling another appointment where they hopefully keep it over night and do a fresh cold start and hit the accelerator. Do you guys know if any accompanying acceleration noises with the tick?
If it is between 2200-3000 rpm it’s probably the rattle. That’s thought to be from the DI system. Most likely the DI pump. Cold the car does it worse. Off gas at that RPM it is noticeable even warm on my car.
Sponsored