Sponsored

Possible to remove bumper solo to install a new grill?

Bybcous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 daytona 392
In a new city by myself and all the install videos I watch recommend two people but am looking to see if anyone was able to knock it out solo, seems like a simple install other than the mounting and unmounting bumper by myself.
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I've done it twice by myself. Fairly easy. Just be VERY careful with the tabs in the wheel arches, they snap easily.

Brian_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
See username
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 3.7L, 2016 Explorer 3.5L
I did remove the whole front bumper assembly without help when I swapped both grilles and added foglights and LED turn signals. I had some help later that day from a friend who plugged in the lighting harnesses before I reattached the bumper, but I’d say it still could have been accomplished just working by myself.

OP
OP

Bybcous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 daytona 392
I've done it twice by myself. Fairly easy. Just be VERY careful with the tabs in the wheel arches, they snap easily.
Thanks for motivation and tips and are you speaking of tabs that hold wheel liner or tabs that hold bumper to fender.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
The 2018? It's easy. They changed the corners so there are no longer the horrifuckbad snap-in clips people kept breaking on the 15-17s. There are just 2 10mm nuts on each side and I found it way easier to take them off through the hood area. I have pretty big arms/hands but I was able to get mine in there. Look past the headlight along the fender and you should see them down there. There are 2 nuts on either-side of a ribbed plastic pin.

I took them off from the top through the hood without dealing with the wheel well (you can finger-twist them off once loose so you don't drop them) and then push the black ribbed piece through. You can collect that piece once the bumper is off to reinstall it.

No jacks, no ramps, wheels left on. Hell, my biggest issue taking it off was not having a 5.5mm socket (in multiple sets of sockets) so I had to use a small pliers for those 2. I was nervous about putting on my Roush fascia on the '15 and taking off the '18 as well but the '18 was simple comparatively.

OP
OP

Bybcous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 daytona 392
The 2018? It's easy. They changed the corners so there are no longer the horrifuckbad snap-in clips people kept breaking on the 15-17s. There are just 2 10mm nuts on each side and I found it way easier to take them off through the hood area. I have pretty big arms/hands but I was able to get mine in there. Look past the headlight along the fender and you should see them down there. There are 2 nuts on either-side of a ribbed plastic pin.

I took them off from the top through the hood without dealing with the wheel well (you can finger-twist them off once loose so you don't drop them) and then push the black ribbed piece through. You can collect that piece once the bumper is off to reinstall it.

No jacks, no ramps, wheels left on. Hell, my biggest issue taking it off was not having a 5.5mm socket (in multiple sets of sockets) so I had to use a small pliers for those 2. I was nervous about putting on my Roush fascia on the '15 and taking off the '18 as well but the '18 was simple comparatively.
Cool I was gonna use a lift to get to all those bolts under the splash shield but you were able to get to them without lifting car?

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Cool I was gonna use a lift to get to all those bolts under the splash shield but you were able to get to them without lifting car?
I actually left the splash shield on. I was going to try getting it off that way with my car on the ground in my garage but just said "screw it" and took off all of the 7mm screws on the splitter. I actually think it was a better decision on my part because I was able to then sit behind the bumper and take my grill out without sitting on and possibly damaging the shield. It took a little finagling to get it back on that way, but once I got 1-2 screws in per side the rest went in with no trouble. Actually the hardest part of putting it back on was aligning my Velossa Big Mouths.

Probably less or at least the same amount of work cranking it up and putting it on stands to get the shield off. If you're doing just the grill, might be easier for you too. Just beware the orientation of the splitter screws when putting them back in since they're at like a 30 degree angle facing away from the car.

Edit: If you've never done it, remember to disconnect the fog lights/blinkers as you're pulling it off.

OP
OP

Bybcous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 daytona 392
Did it a few weeks ago, took about 5 hours start to finish, if I had a impact driver, could have been down in two hours removing all those damn screws.
20181022_180542.jpg

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty simple bumper. If you are fortunate enough to have two sets of ramps, or put it on Jack stands, it's easier by yourself. Lift it and use your nut driver to take out the belly pan fasteners. Use a tiny micro ratchet to do the wheel well bumper to fender fasteners. Top are self explanatory. Take out all but two. Put some ramps or sturdy boxes under the splitter and continue releasing the top of the bumper. When released slide it forward a few inches on to your ramps. Unhook the signals.
PS: . You don't have to use race ramps, but you'd be a lot cooler if you did...

20181108_055701.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: