Sponsored

Possible to defeat the search lockout of USB music while in motion?

Scooter MGee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
'20 MGT, '18 H-D Fat Bob 131ci, '17 Yaris
Is there a setting in ForScan that will allow music search using the USB source while the car is in motion?
Sponsored

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
That must be something they changed for '20 models. I can search the USB while the car is moving in my '17. I didn't touch anything related to that in Forscan. Interesting thread.

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I have not been able to find a way. I personally had to learn the proper voice commands. My wife's premium with the 8 in screen will let you search in motion. My base 4 in screen locks me out at 5mph. Both are 19's

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
This is the 2nd time I see this mentioned today. It's the stupid Sync3.4, apparently. I need to try my Bullitt next time I use it. I won't like if my car has the same issue. Somebody mentioned that reformatting the USB stick, and downloading the music to it again supposedly solves the issue. Try that OP, and see what happens. Good luck.

OP
OP
Scooter MGee

Scooter MGee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I actually did just that...........reformatted and redownloaded the music to the USB drive as the radio was originally only seeing the first few artists. I can now see all the music but still can't scroll through it unless at a stop.

Sponsored

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You have to learn to talk to the car. It didn't feel right but i've gotten used to it.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Damn. So seems like it's a Sync3.4 'feature' then. Well, it's not a good idea to get distracted doing that while driving anyway, so maybe not a bad thing, no? We have to look at the bright side. Ha ha.

Having said that, passengers could do that, as well as inputting nav destinations, etc. The disclaimers should be enough to shield manufacturers from any liability, but guess not anymore in this litigious country. If you want to defeat that, maybe using the European code works on Sync3.4 too... but defeats 911 calling, and you'd have to put up with some weird nav symbols, for what I remember reading. They call that feature 'nav while in motion' over the F-150 forum, I think. I'm sure it'd also remove the music restriction. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scooter MGee

Scooter MGee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
And how does one do that?

Note that I have the base 4" radio.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Scooter MGee

Scooter MGee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Do the base radio's even use Sync?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You just have a 'lesser' version of Sync, but it's still Sync. I just posted the information how to do that on another thread, so I copied and pasted it below. If your car has the correct US country code (5553), changing it for the EU code should work. Let us know if it worked for you.

If you're interested in trying that, the country code for Sync is on APIM 7D0-02-01 **** xxxx xxxx. The US is 5553, which my car (and all other US cars) have. Canada is 4341, and the EU is 5753. The only 'problem' is the spreadsheet hasn't been updated, and doesn't say it works with Sync 3.3 or 3.4, so it might not work... but I really doubt the country codes changed, since 5553 is still the same on my Sync3.4 (just checked it for you). And the worst that could happen is you just put the 5553 code back, and problem solved. Hope this helps, brother :).