Possible Covid19 Protection

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
This OTC Medicine May Keep You Safer From COVID, New Study Says (msn.com)

Hello; Thought this information might be of use. It seems taking aspirin can might be of benefit with regard to symptoms from having an infection of the virus. I have been taking a low dose aspirin for many years for other reasons. Anyway thought this information could be of value.
After reading reports of possible blood clot issues from at least one vaccine it made sense to consider aspirin. I did up my dose slightly for a week or so after the second Moderna shot. Some was due to the discomfort I had after the second shot.

Please note; I am not pushing aspirin. Read and do your own research, then decide for your self.

Also I am making a request that we not get into the name calling and personal insults which got a thread about Covid shutdown recently.

(hello; made an edit above. changed can to might.)
Sponsored

Last edited:

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
You do know that your request will most likely not be honored. Too many people on here that have to let the world know they don't believe in COVID, and, or the vaccine. Sad that some can't accept everyone doesn't think as they do. I've taken the low dosage aspirin also and say hey, it can't hurt.

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Not even with one of these:

1616689445913.png
Hello; Here is my plan. I ask that you keep to civil comments and discussion. I will report to the mods when the name calling and other such disruptive posts starts in the hope those in violation will be dealt with and that the thread not be shut down or locked.

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
You do know that your request will most likely not be honored. Too many people on here that have to let the world know they don't believe in COVID, and, or the vaccine. Sad that some can't accept everyone doesn't think as they do. I've taken the low dosage aspirin also and say hey, it can't hurt.
Hello; I do know some folks should not take aspirin. It can cause stomach problems. I take a coated low dose aspirin.
Seems to me there are still a lot of people who do not have access to a vaccine yet and are at risk of becoming infected. If they are cleared by a doctor to take aspirin and this study holds up, then at the very least the damage from an infection might be reduced.
I guess the same sort of reasoning applies for those who do not plan to take a vaccine for whatever reason. While a very large number who become infected have no or mild symptoms, if a common OTC medicine can help, that might be worth consideration.

I cannot control the actions of anyone other than myself. I can only ask for a civil discussion.

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Did you actually take the time to read the abstract from the study they were citing? It seems as though you didn’t.

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Did you actually take the time to read the abstract from the study they were citing? It seems as though you didn’t.
Hello; If you have a point to make, why not make such a point? Why start the personal stuff again?

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hello; If you have a point to make, why not make such a point? Why start the personal stuff again?
It wasn’t a personal attack. It was a question, as denoted by the question mark at the end of the sentence.

Why is a question viewed as an attack? (That is also a question, just to be clear).

Now, back to the original question, did you or did you not read the abstract of the study that was linked in the article?

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
It wasn’t a personal attack. It was a question, as denoted by the question mark at the end of the sentence.

Why is a question viewed as an attack? (That is also a question, just to be clear).

Now, back to the original question, did you or did you not read the abstract of the study that was linked in the article?
Hello; Yes I have.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
the blood clot occurrences were no higher statistically in the vaccine group than a random group the same number in size across the same population spread and no real difference between Pfizer and AZ vaccines. Near 29million UK first jabs have been given, 2million 2nd jabs given I think as well and i haven't read of any deaths yet. Meanwhile in the same time period, more people died falling out of bed!

Choose life

In the name of everyone's sanity can we have No politics and No medical advice / chat threads as a Rule. Talk cars, manual versus auto v PDK and eating in cars (just NO to eating in the car and no fish supper transportation allowed in car either OK). Please dear gawd, save us from each other 🙏

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hello; Yes I have.
Ok. So firstly you should recognise that the sample size was quite small. Secondly, you’d recognise that a p value of 0.449 is hardly what we might call “statistically significant”, particularly when the sample size is so small.

To prove a point, I just threw a coin 10 times with my right hand and ten with my left.
We have a theoretical p of 0.5 for heads/tails and left/right, correct?

Well, using my small sample size, I threw 6 heads and 4 tails with my right hand and 1 head, 9 tails with my left.
Right hand p value for heads is now 0.6 and left handed is 0.9.
That’s a vastly larger difference than the study reported and I’ve just proven that you’re drastically more,
likely to throw heads with your left hand than your right and that heads are more likely to occur, regardless of hand used.

Maybe this requires some investigation by someone vastly more qualified in physics and statistical analysis than I am?

Luckily, science aims to DISPROVE itself rather than prove things. Scepticism works.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
the blood clot occurrences were no higher statistically in the vaccine group than a random group the same number in size across the same population spread and no real difference between Pfizer and AZ vaccines. Near 29million UK first jabs have been given, 2million 2nd jabs given I think as well and i haven't read of any deaths yet. Meanwhile in the same time period, more people died falling out of bed!

Choose life

In the name of everyone's sanity can we have No politics and No medical advice / chat threads as a Rule. Talk cars, manual versus auto v PDK and eating in cars (just NO to eating in the car and no fish supper transportation allowed in car either OK). Please dear gawd, save us from each other 🙏
Using the unscientific method, we can now conclude that beds are in fact quite dangerous. People even die in them.

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)

Choose life

Hello; The first paragraph is the sort of discussion that can be helpful. I do get the point that there may not be a direct link of the vaccine and the reported blood clots. I did not intend to make such a claim.

The last paragraph is something I do not agree with. There are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of threads active on this sit all the time. I am active in only a few. The rest I leave alone. Seems to me if people want to be involved in a thread such ought to be their choice. I did post the thread in the off topic section of the site.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; The information in the link is not yet confirmed by a rigorous scientific study. A statement from the link is they "intend to investigate" further. I made no personal claims about the link. I did suggest that those interested read and research for themselves.
The only claim I made was that I had been taking aspirin for years and that I did take some extra after the second vaccine shot. Partly for the headaches and pain. Partly since I was already taking aspirin an extra low dose (81 mg aspirin) each day would not hurt. (In fact the extra aspirin for a few days did not hurt me. I am back to the regular dose now.)

Comments in the link include "could play a part" not does play a part. "Cautiously optimistic" not proven. "Possible beneficial effect" not a statement of proven beneficial effect.
To be sure the possible benefits of taking aspirin will have to be studied in some scientific manner. As with the many other such possibly promising treatments, aspirin will have to be tested to determine if it is in fact an aid with respect to the virus.

So yes I did read the link.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Using the unscientific method, we can now conclude that beds are in fact quite dangerous. People even die in them.
It's worse than that. After reading some background data I can exclusively reveal that 99.9999999% people that have died up til now had in fact lived up until the point of their death proving conclusively that once born you WILL die.

sk47 - there have been a tonne (not a ton though a US forum maybe ton more appropriate) and heaps of threads on covid and quite honestly it turns into a mess pretty quickly. If folks want to discuss medical theories or current practices might I suggest a car forum is last on the list of possible choices. However or rather whatever it's all too much to bear so i bid you goodnight one and all and I'm off to watch the Aussie V8's from the weekend gone.

oo there's a thing. If you watch Nascar you can conclude that Mustangs are unable turn right but if you watch Aussie V8's you see them do left and right turns. So statistically American V8's can't turn for shit. Am I allowed to say that??
Sponsored