Sponsored

Positive and Negative Wires in Rear View Mirror

Flare65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I'm not interested in doing this with a radar detector, but would love to power a dash cam through the mirror. Does anyone know if there is cable like one used in the video that has a mini-usb plug on it?
Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I think there are hardwire kits for dash cams. It may be model specific, not sure.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Does anyone know if there is cable like one used in the video that has a mini-usb plug on it?
Besides an RJ-11 (telephone plug), I've only seen them with a DC plug. But if there's a radar detector that uses a mini-USB, then you might be able to find one. I've always used MirrorTap, but there're other cheaper choices now. And if you don't order one with multiple sized leads, make sure you know which size you need :).

TX-2019-Black_GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10, Shadow Black with Black Trim Pkg.
I'm not interested in doing this with a radar detector, but would love to power a dash cam through the mirror. Does anyone know if there is cable like one used in the video that has a mini-usb plug on it?
One problem is you have to take the 12V at the mirror down to 5V for the camera. USB power is 5V.

I also have a USB powered dash cam, ROVE 4k. I added dual USB power outlets in the front edge of the map lights 'box'. Only problem is, I had to add a switch, because my only power choice was 12V always on. From the driver and passenger point of view, the USB outlets are barely visible. Even if you look straight up from below (2nd picture), it's not much to see. There's a tiny hole drilled so the power on light of the USB power adapter can be seen, if you look at just the right angle, which is great because I don't want to see it all the time. It took a lot of time, but turned out great.

The dash cam is mounted to the mirror stalk, and is almost completely hidden from the driver's view by the mirror.

The adapter I used had 2 USB sockets, and I need them both so I can power my phone, which is mounted to the driver's side sun visor shaft. (The USB adapter needs to have a high-enough current rating) I use the phone for video + GPS + OBDII data logging on track days.
One issue I had with the phone and track app was when I plugged it in to the USB in the dash, the car wanted to talk to my phone, and when the Ford app started it caused the phone image to rotate back to normal, and that messed up the track app and video. This won't happen when powered from the USB power outlets I installed. Another fix is a USB power-only cord, which I have a few of due to cheap cords that no longer transfer data.
Map Lights USB Power outlets.jpg

oscar01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang DHG L0103
I have just installed my dash cam with this:

4365F9A7-AD58-4F47-A9E3-6600F233022F.jpeg

Sponsored

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
Son of a biscuit eater... I've been a lazy (and dumb) ass by using the cig lighter to power my dashcam. The wire running down doesn't really bother me but this is to easy to pass up for a cleaner look.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Do NOT use the ground above the red wire, since it's the reverse ground. If you don't have an LED reverse light, the detector cuts out when in reverse. If you do have an LED reverse bulb, the detector wouldn't work. Don't ask me how I know :).

drjeff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium convertible, Kona Blue, 3.55 gears, active valve exhaust, 401A, safe and smart, B&O, polished aluminum wheels
Here's mirror tap diagram I used to power my Valentine 1.

Mirror Tap.jpg

V1 -3.jpg

V1 -4.jpg
the mirror in my 2020 Convertible looks nothing like this- there is nothing exposed to tap into- the back of the mirror is just smooth plastic and fits into a large black box that is mounted to the windshield. Has anyone tapped into the mirror on a 2020? I’m assuming you have to do it somehow inside that box. Don’t know if the 2019s are the same.

oscar01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang DHG L0103
the mirror in my 2020 Convertible looks nothing like this- there is nothing exposed to tap into- the back of the mirror is just smooth plastic and fits into a large black box that is mounted to the windshield. Has anyone tapped into the mirror on a 2020? I’m assuming you have to do it somehow inside that box. Don’t know if the 2019s are the same.
Mine is 2020 and looks exactly like that. Maybe the convertible rearview mirror mount is different or maybe you have the SAFE & SMART package.

Sponsored

drjeff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium convertible, Kona Blue, 3.55 gears, active valve exhaust, 401A, safe and smart, B&O, polished aluminum wheels
Mine is 2020 and looks exactly like that. Maybe the convertible rearview mirror mount is different or maybe you have the SAFE & SMART package.
yes I have the safe and smart package. I did a google and found a video where the guy removes the housing and locates the hot and ground wires. It’s not too difficult, just a bit more involved

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Don’t know if the 2019s are the same.
Yep; they're identical. You must have the 'safe & smart' package, with radar cruise. Bullitts didn't come with that. You'll probably have to tap the mini roof console, if you don't have a visible/exposed connector, like we do. Good luck.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Here's the video for the Safe & Smart owners who need a switched positive and ground from the mirror area:

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Hey, thanks guys. Looks like I chose the wrong negative wire then, since the positive is the same. Not going to mess with it now, since I'd need to undo my installation to be able to get to the plug, and then redo, and re-level everything. Plus I fatigued the leads already, and it might break with another attempt. But will write down this info for future use. Thank you again for confirming the correct wires to tap for others to avoid my 'problem' :D. At least I found the wire that cuts power to the mirror in reverse. He he.
First wire is power third wire is ground.

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium