Sponsored

Ported 18 Manifold on a 2018+ GT (NOT a 17 or lower) - Experiences, reviews, dynos?

BigBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT - 10spd Auto, Performance Pack Lvl 1
Disclaimer: No discussion intended her for 2017 or older cars, only for 2018+ since thats what I've found a ton less info on.

In the search for truth and clarity here, wanted to break down what is known and unknown about ported 18 manifolds on ported 18+ manifolds. Too much partial or slightly "cloudy" information going around, as usual with some aftermarket parts not heavily tested on certain applications.

If anyone has real-life reviews of a ported 18+ manifold on a 2018+ GT (auto or stick cars) regarding driveability, and quirks/issues that arose, SoTP differences, and any new dyno data would be good too for the Airflow Solutions (or other porting vendors) in an actual 3rd party situation (not a magazine manifold shootout/etc with engine on an engine dyno outside the car etc), please pipe in and share data. We are assuming the IMRCs are active and in use of course, not locked out like on 15-17's for the swap.

Last info I found in my searches showed a single dyno from a guy with an 18+ with a before/after of just the Airflow Solutions (AFS) ported 18 mani swap for his stock 18 mani. Showed peak 5-6whp and 8-10wtq, with larger torque gains in the lower rpms which i think might be nice for daily punch around town. Seemed much more realistic than the 16-18whp gains claimed on 18+ cars by AFS. This was with longtubes, intake, 93 octane tune, etc.

Notes:

- VMP's shootout comparison is for a 15-17 car, not relevant to this one other than 15-17's show 5-6whp and about 9-10wtq, like the other user did below.

- I dont think any of these are on E85, maybe the AFS one is but a bit skeptical on that graph.

Dyno provided by a member of a 2018+ car with headers, 93 tune, ported manifold before/after on a 2018+ car. Gains are a bit different the previous AFS dyno, headers, ported mani, 93 tune, STD correction etc. More lowend, less topend gains than AFS claims:

upload_2019-5-1_13-22-7.png

Dyno provided by AFS to support claims of 15-18whp for a 2018+ car with 2018+ ported manifold before/after (from their facebook page discussions). Looks like different smoothing being used maybe and lines are more jaggy if not, wonder why. Gains are 15whp and 7wtq supposedly, STD correction. Mods unknown otherwise.

upload_2019-5-1_13-20-33.png
Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
They are also different dynos on different cars, with even if they have the same mods by the same brands will react slightly different. Do we know the port jobs were also done to matching quality?

OP
OP

BigBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are also different dynos on different cars, with even if they have the same mods by the same brands will react slightly different. Do we know the port jobs were also done to matching quality?
Both were AFS porting jobs and they use a CNC porting method so should be extremely similar. I agree about differing dynos and base mods so the volume of increase could be different but I would expect a similar ratio for a similar CNC port model on the same intake as such. Could be wrong though. The E85 may permit more gains up top too over 93 if the car was knock limited perhaps on 93, but not 100% what fuel was used for each pull.

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Cold air intake will play a factor too.

But don't see anything more than a 10whp gain.

Take this as you may but my car, pmas, ported mani and PBD 100 octane tune, flow rates and other crap I don't fully understand are similar to FBO E85 cars. Keep in mind I have stock exhaust minus an Xpipe.

There's no driveablility issues. I ran the ported mani on stock tune.

I have TSP catless headers waiting to go on and I'll probably do a ported TB too.

My car on the regular 93 tune spins my 325 MPS4s pretty easily. Shifting into 3rd it still spins a good bit and some spinning into 4th. I really need to run it after doing a small burn out.

I think it's a worthy upgrade, since you can sell your stock mani and recoup some money. I don't think a CJ will make as much of difference especially with 10r80 cars.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
When I was talking with Terry @beefcake about possibly swapping out for a ported mani on my 18 he mentioned to realistically expect the 7whp range but more when going fi. Another reason was considering, not a mod I'd have to scrap and would benefit from when going boosted. My current tuner Shaun @ AED confirmed not enough of a difference to revise my current flex tune either. No reports of driveability from same model year.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BigBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
When I was talking with Terry @beefcake about possibly swapping out for a ported mani on my 18 he mentioned to realistically expect the 7whp range but more when going fi. Another reason was considering, not a mod I'd have to scrap and would benefit from when going boosted. My current tuner Shaun @ AED confirmed not enough of a difference to revise my current flex tune either. No reports of driveability from same model year.
PBD reviewed my logs and revised them once I installed the AFS ported manifold. Both for 93 and E85. Felt much improvement after revision.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I've been considering doing it for awhile now. I'm wanting to get a good sealed CAI as well as a Velossa and see if this gives a good amount of punch at the track on the straights.

Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
drivability woudn't be affected in any way, it's the same manifold just cleaned out

probably 5-7 hp

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
drivability woudn't be affected in any way, it's the same manifold just cleaned out

probably 5-7 hp
Not sure if you directed that at me beef. If so, I'm more interested in the increased airflow into the engine at high speed. With a Velossa, sealed CAI, and ported mani, I would expect more gains as speed increases.

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt, 2018 f150 eb 3.5
Not sure if you directed that at me beef. If so, I'm more interested in the increased airflow into the engine at high speed. With a Velossa, sealed CAI, and ported mani, I would expect more gains as speed increases.
Maybe a couple more
Sponsored