Sponsored

Ported 12" Sub and Amp combo - Need advice, best boom for the buck! Pun intended...

tomnelsonii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GTPP
Hi Guys,

I need some advice. I'm pretty underwhelmed by my 10" sealed Rockford Fosgate powered sub, I believe it's a P300-10 model. I ran a heavy power cable in preparation for upgrading in the future, and that time has come. So, I am looking for some advice. I've decided I want to try a 12" sub in a ported enclosure. And, I would like to go with a separate Amp setup too. So, can I guy buy anything decent in the $300 range for both? I don't need to bang ghetto bass. I mostly listen to rock/metal/grunge, Maiden, Rush, Queen, etc but I do listen to some old school Sir Mix-a-lot, Dre, Snoop, and B.I.G. sometimes. So let's here it, what setup do you guys recommend??? Thanks in advance!!!

--Tom
Sponsored

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
Try and find a used JL stelthbox.. I see them go for 400sh on here keep eyes out if you wanted one, 500 shipped. + 100 for amp, I know thats double 300, but its clean, amazing sound. I dont know what to recommend @ 300 though. I paid 450 for mine off member here who had used for 6 months before trading car in.

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed the following in my 2019 9-speaker setup and it bangs ridiculously hard inside the car without being obnoxious outside the car.

Alpine S-W12D4 Type-S 12" sub (wired as 2 Ohms)
Alpine S-A60M (600 watts RMS @ 2 Ohms. Birth certificate shows 650 watts RMS)
Audio Control LC2i (active line-level control using the left/right rear speakers)
Audio Control ACR-1 Remote Bass-Level control for the LC2i)

I used a 12 inch "Sealed" box with just enough air space to be within the specified range for the sub. (0.75 cf). It has a slanted rear that fits snug up against the left rear seat back. I used an L-bracket to bolt it to the rear rack to keep the box stable. I installed the amp inside the spare tire well using instructions I found on these forums. Still have almost all my trunk available and can pull down my right rear seat back to allow longer items to pass thru the trunk and into the cabin. (This is not really a problem since I do not use my Mustang for hauling stuff, only hauling ass!:rockon:)

I have under $400 into my total setup which includes all the above, plus the box and 4gauge amp wiring kit. All parts are brand-new and purchased individually from either Amazon or Ebay. I can take pics on request.

Todd00000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hi Guys,

I need some advice. I'm pretty underwhelmed by my 10" sealed Rockford Fosgate powered sub, I believe it's a P300-10 model. I ran a heavy power cable in preparation for upgrading in the future, and that time has come. So, I am looking for some advice. I've decided I want to try a 12" sub in a ported enclosure. And, I would like to go with a separate Amp setup too. So, can I guy buy anything decent in the $300 range for both? I don't need to bang ghetto bass. I mostly listen to rock/metal/grunge, Maiden, Rush, Queen, etc but I do listen to some old school Sir Mix-a-lot, Dre, Snoop, and B.I.G. sometimes. So let's here it, what setup do you guys recommend??? Thanks in advance!!!

--Tom
You have the 6 speaker system? If yes, what don't you really like about the powered sub?

OP
OP

tomnelsonii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GTPP
You have the 6 speaker system? If yes, what don't you really like about the powered sub?
I have a premium so I think it's considered the 9 speaker system. The sub just didn't seem to have much punch. But, I had a friend help me tune both my radio and the sub and I'm liking it much better. It still doesn't have as much sound as I'd like but it's fine for now.

Sponsored

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase

Todd00000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have a premium so I think it's considered the 9 speaker system. The sub just didn't seem to have much punch. But, I had a friend help me tune both my radio and the sub and I'm liking it much better. It still doesn't have as much sound as I'd like but it's fine for now.
I'm getting so much conflicting advice about what we can and can't upgrade on a base car I think I'm just going with a powered sub and be done with it.

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting so much conflicting advice about what we can and can't upgrade on a base car I think I'm just going with a powered sub and be done with it.
Pretty much everything stock is garbage and you build a system from the floor up. Components front and back with a sub and a five channel amp would even sound amazing over stock.

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
Hi Guys,

--Tom
I have been in the car audio game for a long time and for the kind of music you listen to I think a quality 10 inch sealed sub works best. I’m currently running a Fosgate P3 10 inch in a sealed box wired at 4 ohms for 500 watts rms and it sounds great. Ported boxes make a lot of bass with less power but aren’t as clean or responsive.
Sponsored