Sponsored

Popular apps for use in car that I just don't understand why they are so popular.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Specifically waze and Spotify. I mean Google owns waze and its sorta a test app for features before they bring them to their real money maker google maps. So in a way it is a second rate app. I have tried it several times trying to see what the big deal was but I just dont see it. I much rather use google maps it right to the point no fluff and has never took me wrong. That and I guess I have almost zero need for navigation so something to the point is best for me.

Spotify that one I truly dont get. I have used the app several times and it is about dang near impossible to get to any thing I want to hear. its over complicated and muttled. And the free app version just simply sucks. You will never get to hear anything you specifically want to on the free version. I use Pandora free and I simply hit the speak button on my steering wheel (I have it set so long push activates ok google) and say play 80s music, or five finger death punch and a station launches and plays everything I want to hear. Im dont have to fool with anything , launch anything, dont have to build lists or any of that stuff. its so simple. Plus I dont have to pay.

I dont know, I just dont get the obsession with waze and Spotify. it is literally the only two apps anyone with a car talks about using in a car. I mean is it like the popular thing where if you dont you are not cool? "Yeah man I only use waze and Spotify" gotta say it so people dont think you are not cool? LOL im mostly joking there :)
Sponsored

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Waze for me is specifically for driving on the highway and knowing when there’s gonna be something on the road or a cop/red light camera/speed camera. It’s pretty accurate for all of these things and avoided me both a ticket and damage to my car due to debris (blown tire or something). Spotify’s free version is ok but premium you can build your playlists and select specific songs so it’s really nice but everyone will have their favorites heck sometimes I can’t find a song and just pull up YouTube to listen to music.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Waze is good for use in conjunction with a radar detector. The app allows users to tag speed traps. Many detectors have direct tie-ins that mark them automatically on the map. Otherwise, meh.

Spotify is amazing. I don't know about the free version, but premium let's you do a lot of cool things. I have many playlists that I personally curate. I also save all my favorite albums so I can listen any time (including offline downloading to my phone). There's also auto generated lists that get made based on what you play, new releases, and even a "taste breakers" playlist that has selections from genres you don't usually listen to. Plus, the ability to select a band or song and have a radio station based on it much like Pandora. I used Pandora since beta, and loved it for years. As soon as my friend showed me Spotify premium, I never looked back.

Also FFDP, kick ass. Saw them live as one of the headliners at a festival.
I guess the radar detector thing... but I dont use one so... ill agree meh.. See i guess just different schools of thought on spotify. I dont use playlists as I dont care to hear the same songs over and over or even in the same week. I have a ssd with about 10k songs on it all in categories and some play lists and dont have to fool with all that app stuff and its free. And is 100 percent what I want to hear. again just gotta hit the speak button and.... so I guess for my needs and usage Spotify is just over complicating a simple task and I would have to pay for it as the free version sucks. Plus dont need a phone or internet with a ssd drive. I guess where I am getting old is I see so many people use pay services for stuff that can be done for free and not only that it seems the pay service somewhat over complicates it.

I guess being tech person I know the ways around without the apps or services. Like right now i am watching a forum where people are knocking themselves out trying to get android auto working on tesla style android headunits so they can run waze (sorta my point of this thread)???? I like uh just put the waze on the android head unit that was why you got it you dont need android auto. Um thats the point of the full android unit and why you bought it cause it natively does the apps and you DO NOT need android auto. I have even seen them try to put a android emulator on the android unit to try to run android auto??? IM like what? people love to over complicate things LOL

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Waze for me is specifically for driving on the highway and knowing when there’s gonna be something on the road or a cop/red light camera/speed camera. It’s pretty accurate for all of these things and avoided me both a ticket and damage to my car due to debris (blown tire or something). Spotify’s free version is ok but premium you can build your playlists and select specific songs so it’s really nice but everyone will have their favorites heck sometimes I can’t find a song and just pull up YouTube to listen to music.
I honestly feel like im the only person on the planet who does not have Spotify or waze LOL. Almost 95% of my monthly driving is on the same roads in the same county I lived here 27 years now I guess I just dont need an app to tell me where things are :) also im sure its regional. here there is basically 4 main roads period. So not many alternate ways to go., if you are in traffic you are just in traffic.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
I honestly feel like im the only person on the planet who does not have Spotify or waze LOL. Almost 95% of my monthly driving is on the same roads in the same county I lived here 27 years now I guess I just dont need an app to tell me where things are :) also im sure its regional. here there is basically 4 main roads period. So not many alternate ways to go., if you are in traffic you are just in traffic.
Yeah a lot of my commute is based on driving the same areas and I already know where to slow down and go the speed limit but when I get on I95 where state troopers might be hiding behind bridges or trees on the side of the road it’s helpful. For me when driving down a highway that’s when I like to turn on Waze.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Yeah a lot of my commute is based on driving the same areas and I already know where to slow down and go the speed limit but when I get on I95 where state troopers might be hiding behind bridges or trees on the side of the road it’s helpful. For me when driving down a highway that’s when I like to turn on Waze.
Move to Asheville. Here with the mountain roads and the daily bumper to bumper traffic not much need for a radar detector LOL cant speed.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 GT350R, 2020 Explorer ST
No apps for me. I am still “old school” with a collection of over 3500 “shiny silver disks” (CDs), and I realize that my current rides will be the last model to offer an integrated CD player. I enjoy the exhaust so much that I rarely listen to the stereo anymore. I find most of my audio enjoyment with my dedicated stereo in my “man cave.”

B6BF90DC-4992-42F2-A20A-6EAECB897AE4.jpeg

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
No apps for me. I am still “old school” with a collection of over 3500 “shiny silver disks” (CDs), and I realize that my current rides will be the last model to offer an integrated CD player. I enjoy the exhaust so much that I rarely listen to the stereo anymore. I find most of my audio enjoyment with my dedicated stereo in my “man cave.”
What is a "CD" ? Kidding. I Myself have not owned physical media Disks or Discs of any kind in 9 years I think. Except for playstation games cause I hate throwing money away on digital games you cant resell when done with. Except I have sold those all now too. I think it was about 2011 I sold all my music media on Ebay and about 2013 I sold off all my DVD collection. Now I do have a small container around here somewhere with my old collection of 3.5 floppies LOL. If you need a copy of AOL 3.0 let me know. A cds bit rate is 1411 KPS same as flac and an mp3s highest is 320kps. And streaming services like Pandora are 192kps and Spotify is 320kps ( but honestly I cant tell the difference) so there is a win for Spotify I guess :). So hands down the winner is CD :) But my little human ears likes 320kps just fine unless you got massive storage for FLAC and your head unit plays it which I dont think the mustangs do. I may be wrong.

There is also high res music that is at a bit rate of 9,216 kbps but its a murky landscape for it and I think the only service to provide anything even close to that in streaming is Amazons new HD music service. Which is yet another subscription in the subscription pile for 14.99 a month.

Rock on , do they still say that ? is it cool? I dont know Im old.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 GT350R, 2020 Explorer ST
What is a "CD" ? Kidding. I Myself have not owned physical media Disks or Discs of any kind in 9 years I think. Except for playstation games cause I hate throwing money away on digital games you cant resell when done with. Except I have sold those all now too. I think it was about 2011 I sold all my music media on Ebay and about 2013 I sold off all my DVD collection. Now I do have a small container around here somewhere with my old collection of 3.5 floppies LOL. If you need a copy of AOL 3.0 let me know. A cds bit rate is 1411 KPS same as flac and an mp3s highest is 320kps. And streaming services like Pandora are 192kps and Spotify is 320kps ( but honestly I cant tell the difference) so there is a win for Spotify I guess :). So hands down the winner is CD :) But my little human ears likes 320kps just fine unless you got massive storage for FLAC and your head unit plays it which I dont think the mustangs do. I may be wrong.

There is also high res music that is at a bit rate of 9,216 kbps but its a murky landscape for it and I think the only service to provide anything even close to that in streaming is Amazons new HD music service. Which is yet another subscription in the subscription pile for 14.99 a month.

Rock on , do they still say that ? is it cool? I dont know Im old.
I know exactly what you are saying, and I am aware that my time with physical media is coming to a closure. It is the way of progress. Streaming services like Tidal and Qobuz offer hi-rez digital musical choices, and Primephonic offers hi-rez classical music. I once was in the process of converting my CDs onto my smartphone, but the system crashed after I had converted a catalog of about 150 albums. As for other apps for my cars, I just do not have a need.

:like:

Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible

B6BF90DC-4992-42F2-A20A-6EAECB897AE4.jpeg
Nah, old school is a cassette deck and ancient school is an 8 track tape!

Romclean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roderick
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
I use Waze along side my v1g2 and alps. Pretty useful for spiritual driving.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Been using the freebie Spotify for a couple of years now - don’t know the gripe about it because anyone can choose and listen to anything, create playlists and even create favorites albums... the only difference is some sporadic commercials after a few songs - which are like only 1-2 mins long anyway then your music just plays again... and the limitation of fast forwarding to another song (limited to like 5-6 forwards).

For those who think Spotify is “muddled”, go into the app settings and mess with the EQ - it’s there and most don’t know it even exists.

I also don’t use the actual SYNC Spotify app - I put my mobile device to BT, select Spotify on it then on SYNC, I select the BT option there and just stream the music from device to SYNC. IMO, it’s much more seamless, sounds better and I can change anything I want using the settings at the device app...

I have hundreds of songs in my playlists - never an issue using the freebie version.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Been using the freebie Spotify for a couple of years now - don’t know the gripe about it because anyone can choose and listen to anything, create playlists and even create favorites albums... the only difference is some sporadic commercials after a few songs - which are like only 1-2 mins long anyway then your music just plays again... and the limitation of fast forwarding to another song (limited to like 5-6 forwards).

For those who think Spotify is “muddled”, go into the app settings and mess with the EQ - it’s there and most don’t know it even exists.

I also don’t use the actual SYNC Spotify app - I put my mobile device to BT, select Spotify on it then on SYNC, I select the BT option there and just stream the music from device to SYNC. IMO, it’s much more seamless, sounds better and I can change anything I want using the settings at the device app...

I have hundreds of songs in my playlists - never an issue using the freebie version.
Have they changed it? Cause the few times i tried the free version if i picked a specific song it would put it like 6th or 7th in a list of other songs it wanted me to hear first. i could never just play a song I wanted to hear on free version with out hurtles. What i meant by muddled was not the sound I meant the interface. Its not real clear cut or real intuitive.
Sponsored