Popping through exhaust at idle

RR5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red mustang gt
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction on this, I just recently installed a gen 5 whipple and also installed Opgs and crank sprocket which makes me more concerned ( thinking maybe something with timing)...my tuner said everything looks good and car is happy, also said a slight burb through exhaust is normal, this pop is loud and quite embarrassing. Tried searching the forum but couldn’t find anything similar, thanks guys.

Sponsored

ZeboMrotz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
Did you ever figure it out? Mine does the same thing on the cold start but after it’s warm it doesn’t do it anymore

OP
OP
RR5oh

RR5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red mustang gt
Did you ever figure it out? Mine does the same thing on the cold start but after it’s warm it doesn’t do it anymore
No still haven’t figured anything out yet, I’ve checked over my vct solenoid wiring and connectors i’ve heard the wiring and pin in the connectors are weak, mine doesn’t do it much at all on a cold start, starts popping when the idle begins to come down and at warm idle.

jshammond

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction on this, I just recently installed a gen 5 whipple and also installed Opgs and crank sprocket which makes me more concerned ( thinking maybe something with timing)...my tuner said everything looks good and car is happy, also said a slight burb through exhaust is normal, this pop is loud and quite embarrassing. Tried searching the forum but couldn’t find anything similar, thanks guys.

By any chance did you find out what's causing this? I have a 2016 GT and my car started doing the same thing when I put on an 18 manifold (didn't do it before). I now have a Gen 5 Whipple on my car as well and it still does it. I was also told the burp/pop at idle is normal for these cars, but I haven't really heard any of my friend's mustangs do it (both boosted and NA).

OP
OP
RR5oh

RR5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red mustang gt
By any chance did you find out what's causing this? I have a 2016 GT and my car started doing the same thing when I put on an 18 manifold (didn't do it before). I now have a Gen 5 Whipple on my car as well and it still does it. I was also told the burp/pop at idle is normal for these cars, but I haven't really heard any of my friend's mustangs do it (both boosted and NA).
No still haven’t figured anything out yet, been busy with work with no time to mess with it, my tuner said to start logging it and they will try to help me figure it out.

Sponsored

Sean4m

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang Gt premium
Hey I have a 2015 gt mine car does the same. I have catless long tubes headers, drives completely normal just does it at a warm idle. Started doing it after the headers I am tuned. Have you figured anything out yet? I’m out of ideas my self only things I can think of are exhaust leaks at this point.

Sean4m

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang Gt premium
Took a log today of my car at start up till it completely warmed up, I can confirm that in my case with the popping is due too the car putting more fuel in the exhaust too warm the cats that are no longer there. Even being tuned with the long tube headers. First start and idle was at (20 afr) After the car came too a complete warm idle and after driving around the block afrs dropped back too normal( around 14 afr) and car no longer popped. I Recommend anyone with this issue too watch their AFR too see if you have the same occurrence as me. Didn’t even think of it till BlackandBlue mentioned it since I thought being tuned would have fixed that issue. Hope this helps .

blue5.slow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base, M/T
I'm also catless and that popping happens to me every few seconds at idle. FBO gen 2 coyote here. I think it's a thing with catless setups

Sponsored
OP
OP
RR5oh

RR5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red mustang gt
Sorry for the delay, just finished my fore fuel system install and had too pull the blower off and I found my intercooler lid bolts on the back side were all loose and lid gasket was ate up were the bolts were loose at , I installed a new gasket from whipple for the lid and seems like a lot of my popping at idle went away still slightly there but not as bad, pretty sure alot of it has to do with it being catless, my brother’s gt350 is catless and it will slightly pop at idle also.

Fabs5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP 401A
Vehicle Showcase
My 17 GT PP1 does the same thing and I have stock manifolds and cats. Running a complete Borla s-type cat back with the Borla x-pipe.
Sponsored