Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
As mentioned, the Coupe4 was sold in small numbers.

hsvc4.jpg

To recap, the Coupe4 was based on the Holden Monaro, which was sold also sold as the HSV GTO and GTS Coupe. The Coupe 4 took the AWD system from the Commodore wagon based Adventra (think Subaru Outback style AWD wagon). That same AWD system was also fitted to the One-Tonner Ute and Crewman dual cab Ute.

crewman101.jpg

Early versions of that AWD system were limited to the 5.7 Chevy V8 and ancient 4-speed auto. Later on, the new 3.6 HFV6 and 5-speed auto were offered on the Adventra, Crewman and 1-Tonner Ute.

Because that AWD system was originally intended for higher ride height and increased track width, HSV needed to adapt it for the lower riding Monaro. That required the fitment of those wheel arch flares. When the body shells were constructed, the body was removed from the line, the wheel arches were laser cut to allow for the new flared items to be fitted. The completed body was then returned to the line for painting and final assembly. HSV also designed specific front suspension control arms to permit a lower ride compared to the rest of the AWD models.

That all sounds like a great combination, but there were a couple of reasons why it didn't sell in big numbers.

1/ Because of the AWD system, and the front driveshafts in particular, there were space limitations for the exhaust headers. This meant the engine only produced 270 kW / 362 hp, compared to the 285 and 300 kW / 382 and 402 hp of the rest of the HSV range.

2/ The only transmission offered was the clunky old 4-speed auto, no manual was offered like the rest of the range.

3/ Again, the AWD system didn't allow the fitment of HSV's larger AP-Racing brake system.

4/ The steering was excessively heavy and lumpy in feel. Most Holdens of the era were the same, but the Coupe 4 was even worse.

5/ The AWD system took an already heavy car and made it even heavier.

6/ Because of the lower power numbers, auto only and extra weight, the Coupe 4 was the slowest model in the range.

7/ Retail pricing reflected all the bespoke parts and commanded a healthy premium.

8/ And the most crucial element, being AWD, how was the average cashed up bogan going to do a burnout!

So, buyers were paying a premium for a car that was less powerful, slower, didn't brake as hard and was worse to drive.

Don't get me wrong though, I find the Coupe 4 an interesting proposition and it represented a golden era for HSV and Holden, a time when Holden/HSV could do no wrong and were happy to take the gamble on niche products like this.
Very interesting. We have to wonder what would have happened, with a little more development time and a little more money. Nothing is perfect at first, but I think that with everything we are seeing today especially with Dodge and their AWD system, that a bit more development time would have more then likely produced a winner.
Sponsored

Tinpot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 w 3rd pedal delete
We used to get the Monaro and later HSV’s (VXR8 GTS) here in the UK but rebadged as a Vauxhall. I always liked them but couldn’t afford one at the time.

OP
OP
AZlb5.0

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
We used to get the Monaro and later HSV’s (VXR8 GTS) here in the UK but rebadged as a Vauxhall. I always liked them but couldn’t afford one at the time.
In the US at least they are becoming harder to come by.
Sponsored