Sponsored

Plycar Transportation Troubles. Is this common?

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
Back in May I placed an order with Plycar to transport a car from an out-of-state dealership to my home, and they quoted me a window of 6/3 - 6/10. Today is 6/10 and they haven't been in contact with the dealership (or me) about picking up the car. They charged my credit card over a week ago, but I haven't been able to reach anyone at Plycar other than the receptionist that answers the phone. I've left voicemails, sent email to their customer service email address, still no one has called me back. Needless to say I'm not happy with Plycar right now.

Has anyone had a similar experience? From what I've seen they seem to be well regarded on this forum, and came recommended by some members. My experience with them is not a good one so far.

Do any current/former Plycar customers have a contact at the company I can try to reach out to?
Sponsored

OP
OP
br_an

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
As it seems I may have to find an alternative, any other recommendations for transport would be welcome. Reliable and InterCity already said the route is outside where they operate so they're off the list.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I can't say I have dealt with Plycar; maybe I have but didn't know it. A lot of car haulers are brokers for independent services and it takes time to book enough stops to complete a route. Especially if you live in an area that is "off the beaten path". I had a car shipped from California and had a similar experience to yours. It took almost an extra week to book enough stops to make the trip worthwhile, plus another 3 or 4 days because the route has stops in Montana and South Dakota, which is one hell of way to get to SE Wisconsin. In addition, it's getting hard to find drivers.

I would wait another week.

Qckslvr

fiercely mediocre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT
I believe Swift does car transport. Also there is Passport Transport. My father has dealt with Passport a couple times, they are always very professional even when they screw up and drop a 60's Shelby on your '54 Jaguar XK140DHC. :p

OP
OP
br_an

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
Plycar (Nick) finally got back to me and the car was picked up over the weekend. I still don't know when it will be delivered, but supposedly by the end of the week. They're still working out the routes.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Plycar was well respected in the Corvette community. With all the shortages, going on right now, there could be many reasons for delays. You didn't say where the car is being picked up from and where in the NW it is going. Some companies don't run routes to certain places and others might only run those routes when it is worth it to them.

OP
OP
br_an

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
Plycar was well respected in the Corvette community. With all the shortages, going on right now, there could be many reasons for delays. You didn't say where the car is being picked up from and where in the NW it is going. Some companies don't run routes to certain places and others might only run those routes when it is worth it to them.
My issue is totally unrelated to shortages and/or covid. Bad customer service by the front office doesn't get a pass. There is no excuse good enough for taking payment up front and then ghosting a customer. The delay wasn't my problem, it was having multiple attempts (and methods) to reach out to a company representative go unreturned. If there's a delay because whatever, just tell me, I'll deal with it. Don't ignore the situation since the payment is already in the bank and I'm essentially locked in. That sucks!

The route was roughly Dallas,Texas to Boise, Idaho. Maybe that isn't a common prime-time route, but Plycar accepted the job for a specific time/price we agreed on (with a week long window for wiggle room), and then left me (and the shipper) hanging until later than our agreement. In the end it seems they contracted the job out to someone, who did a great job by the way, but that isn't what Plycar present their service as on their website. Speaking of which, I probably should have noticed the red flags from their janky, error-prone WordPress website and closed that browser tab.

I finally got my car today, and I'm satisfied with that part of the transaction. I didn't get irate with Nick. I didn't expect or ask for a discount/refund the way some angry customers might have, and I even tipped the driver because it's not his fault.

But instead of me raving about how great Plycar is, I'm sharing my frustrating experience as a cautionary tale, all because someone couldn't take a minute to answer an email or return one of my numerous voicemail messages. I certainly won't use them again or recommend them to anyone.
Sponsored