Sponsored

PLEASE read this and be advised:

Kwollz_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT TVS supercharged
This was originally posted on Facebook but quite a few people suggested that I posted it on here as well to help get the word out.

Original Post date: 1/15/17

I ordered a fiberglass Trufiber hood on November 16th from American Muscle. The Carbon Fiber hood (my first choice) were out of stock and on backorder. Well I received that hood after a week but it came in warped and was of terrible quality. Trufiber told me exactly: "This is how the hoods are supposed to come, a body shop will know what to do with it. "I tried for 2 weeks to get a return of my money or a replacement hood. This series of calling both companies everyday became severely annoying and is one of the worst and most stressful things I've ever had to deal with. Contacting both Trufiber and American Muscle but could not get a return or a replacement hood. During this two weeks I also tried to find a body shop that could fix the hood but no one even wanted to touch it due to the extent of the damage (was quoted $2000 by one body shop to fix it). So I had no other choice but to pay for the return shipping of the hood as well as a restocking fee for a product I couldn't even use and it wasn't my fault that it was messed up. Well I'm hard headed. I probably should've just cut my losses and stopped there and gone with a factory hood. but I saw that the Carbon Fiber hood on CJ's website so I called to verify it would be shipping from the CJ warehouse and not from Trufiber. This was the case so I ordered it and the hood came in damaged due to improperly being packaged(The box was stapled closed on top of the hood).

So, Got my second hood in 2 days ago (this is now two month after I originally placed my first order) the weaves were messed up and the Clearcoat was very thin in certain spots. Not to mention the waviness throughout the entire hood. Fitment was decent but it did look very well from a distance and is still one of my favorite hood designs. I was over the mentioned issues but on my way home tonight the hood split into TWO Pieces. Let me elaborate, The hood, while I was driving on the interstate with other cars all around me, split into 2 separate pieces. The Carbon Fiber top layer went flying into the air at 70 mph into the traffic behind me at night (LUCKILY not hitting anyone and flew onto the shoulder).

I don't see how trufiber can sell products Iike this and still be in business? That hood flying off could have caused a serious accident and very well killed someone. They are EXTREMELY lucky that the hood did not cause such a thing. I'm beyond pissed that something I paid $2000 including shipping, flew into 2 separate pieces at highway speed like it was nothing. I will be calling tomorrow if they are open (MLK holiday) and be giving them a piece of my mind. I shall keep this updated with how everything plays out. But all in all, DO NOT purchase ANY Trufiber products.

Please repost this on other pages if you would, I'm not doing this for my benefit. I love my car and this whole past 2 months has been extremely frustrating. I simply don't want to see this happen to anyone else who shares the same love for their car.

This is the second post that I made today:

Update to my post from yesterday (1/15/17):

Scott (if someone knows who I'm talking about please tag him) from CJ pony parts called me this morning(him calling me personally and taking action was greatly appreciated), he took care of the price of the hood for me as well as covered for the installation of the old hood and the shipping of the old hood. I am very thankful for his care of the customer and I will remain a CJ Pony Parts customer because of this.

William Lev from American muscle took care of me as well in giving me a healthy compensation for not only the money I paid to have the hood shipped back and the restocking fee, but he also gave me something to compensate the "shitty" situation I was in and everything I've been through. There was no hesitation from him as he immediately took a look at things on his side of the issue and could see the trouble I had been through. Many thanks go out to him as well and I will remain an American Muscle customer only because of him. He's saving his companies name by himself.

Cervinis reached out to me with the help of Nathan Brummer and offered to sell me a new hood for a one time discount as a gesture of kindness. I really appreciate their offer and will certainly consider it.

As for Trufiber, I did not have to contact them and am extremely thankful for it as my first run in was an absolute headache. I hope that American Muscle and CJ Pony Parts will take a serious look at what they are selling and putting their name out there for. It's cost both companies a significant amount of time and money at this point. Junior Garcia is the representative I had spoken to previously and is of absolutely no help. He seems to be the only one who answers customer service calls and did not ever give me anything other then the "run-around." But I feel as if that's what he's told to do and don't personally think it's his fault for doing his job.

I hope this event will keep those who are considering an aftermarket hood away from Trufiber and save some pain for someone else. That's why I posted what I did.

Also on a side note: I drove an hour back to where I was in a truck to get the other half of the hood and I'll include a picture of it. It's currently in my truck bed.

Last edited:

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
my trufiber just fine. would buy again because cervini dropped the ball imo on the cowl hood and forgot the extractors

that situation however is indeed weird. at least you got it figured out in the end.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Would be interested to see pics of how it split.

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
I saw this on IG....glad it worked out man!

Sponsored

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Would be interested to see pics of how it split.
The pics were on FB - it basically delaminated the entire top surface of the hood from the bottom. You could see the glue lines for the finished carbon fiber layer to the bottom fiberglass layer.

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I got some TruFiber carbon fiber products for the interior and returned half of them. The weaving was so crappy that I don't even know how they sell it the way it it.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Good to know...

On a somewhat related note, Anderson Composites installs their products if you are local (op is not, but FYI for others).

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Good to know...

On a somewhat related note, Anderson Composites installs their products if you are local (op is not, but FYI for others).
Thats good to know too! Too bad for me that they are in SoCal. Everything is in SoCal :frusty:
Sponsored