Sponsored

Please comment... Who has seen oil pump gear and crank sprocket failures?

lucasmelobr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Auto
Looking to HPDE a 2016 A6 with a Procharger Stage 2. Most say it's "needed", how many has seen it fail? Please comment.
I read about motors failing but what percentage is due to the oil pump gear and crank sprocket? 1%? 10%? Versus just motor failure?
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Looking to HPDE a 2016 A6 with a Procharger Stage 2. Most say it's "needed", how many has seen it fail? Please comment.
Hit up the 5.0 sections, I believe there’s plenty of threads with OPG failure discussions... it’s not if, it’s when...

If you’re going to do forced induction on any Coyote, it’s highly recommended by many on this site to upgrade the stock OPG and Crank sprocket... unless you have deep enough pockets to replace a ventilated 5.0...

IIRC, on this site alone there’s been threads of stock OPG failures even on N/A Coyotes - that alone should be positive enough reinforcement to upgrade the OPG if you’re going to be making decent power and if the car is being used for exclusive track use or weekend warrior use.

EDIT:
Here’s some short and decent reading as to why the OPG should be upgraded.
http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-...les-heel-with-a-billet-oil-pump-gears-install

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Kicking around the idea of getting a Roush supercharged car in the future. Do the Roush supercharged cars come with the upgraded gears?

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
If you can do the job yourself, it's cheap insurance.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Cobra Jet said:
IIRC, on this site alone there’s been threads of stock OPG failures even on N/A Coyotes - that alone should be positive enough reinforcement to upgrade the OPG if you’re going to be making decent power and if the car is being used for exclusive track use or weekend warrior use.
There's also many many instances where stock OPGs last and last and last even with forced induction setups. Point is, if you don't abuse the engine and don't do the things that cause OPGs to break (power not being one of them) then they should last. If you do abuse it, then of course they won't.

tokuzumi said:
Kicking around the idea of getting a Roush supercharged car in the future. Do the Roush supercharged cars come with the upgraded gears?
Nope, they have the same OPGs as any stock Mustang GT. They also warranty that engine for 36,000 miles which should say something about the OEM OPGs.

Sponsored

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
No, but u have a warranty with the Roush so if it were to break your covered

Max effort, get them
A Roush setup, u don't need them

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
ive seen a failure first hand on a whipple 2018. Now I am a believer, my car was boosted 2 years before i did the opg and crank sprocket but now I have it done.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I'm on my third Coyote with FI. Stock oil gear and crank timing sprocket on all three. Never had an issue.

I say spend the money. After all its not coming out of my account.
Sponsored