Sponsored

Please clarify — Is the Mach 1 a product from Ford Performance? Or designated as a regular Ford product? -Anyway, I ordered one.

mduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT M6 2018 Orange Fury, Mach 1 on order
I have seen this "limited" in a couple of countries now. Thats Good enough for me 👍

My car will as it seems be one in a few 😎
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
So you are looking at from a track perspective got it. I will say I like the 2020 PP2 better than the 17 Roush rs3 that I had. The mt-82 has gotten better though.
Yeah - what perspective you should be looking at the car marketed as "track" one sold with Sport Cup 2s ? It was really really bad attempt at matching 1/LE done in typical Ford fashion but using different available parts. Mach 1 isn't much different unfortunately - bunch of different parts they've had handy slapped on it. At least transmission is better (not that MT82 is that bad).

And this thread is a proof how people fall for completely irrelevant marketing schemes. Edge ST is "Ford Performance" vehicle. Clearly something to be really proud of.

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
I think it’s more of a cost thing these days more than ever. The mustang is now the only car in the Ford line up and the bean counters and management are controlling the cost of development so much that the engineers and designers can only do so much. Also the price point for these cars is climbing year after year. I thought I would never own a 50k plus mustang. My first new was was 16k in 1991 5.0 coupe.

Fishtales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2001 Harley, 1964 Volkswagen Beetle, 2016 Toyota Avalon
OP
OP

348SStb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 991.2 911 S Cab, 2017 AMG SL63, 2019 AMG C63S, 2016 Boxster Spyder, 2019 Mustang GT Conv, too many others

Sponsored

Fordified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several Mustangs thru the years
So, now I gutta go slap my Ford rep. But I still find it strange that only 44 Mach 1's are coming to Canada. That number makes no sense to me at all; way too low, especially when the average Ford dealer has no up-level Mustang to offer. But the Ford Canada website still lists the Bullitt, so maybe that's the gap filler.

I did find it odd that the above video showed the Mach 1 in front of a big Ford Performance trailer...

Fishtales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I hear you. I wish it was a performance car as well. A day on the track would have been fun. Hopefully the pricing in the market reflects that it is a production car and is can be had like the GT.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I hear you. I wish it was a performance car as well. A day on the track would have been fun. Hopefully the pricing in the market reflects that it is a production car and is can be had like the GT.
That’s the issue... it’s not a standard production car, it’s still a limited edition, and the price reflects it. It just isn’t a Ford Performance vehicle (which is ridiculous in my opinion)

Fishtales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
That’s the issue... it’s not a standard production car, it’s still a limited edition, and the price reflects it. It just isn’t a Ford Performance vehicle (which is ridiculous in my opinion)
It may be advertised as a limited edition and may start that way, but I think they risk providing the competition a hole in their line up, that if the competition wants to exploit could be an issue for Ford. They would have to respond by ensuring sufficient vehicles in the pipe and on dealer lots. I don't believe people are going to pay MSRP for very long for this vehicle as it is really a rebadged GT with some extras. It's no GT350 or GT500 limited car in my opinion.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
It may be advertised as a limited edition and may start that way, but I think they risk providing the competition a hole in their line up, that if the competition wants to exploit could be an issue for Ford. They would have to respond by ensuring sufficient vehicles in the pipe and on dealer lots. I don't believe people are going to pay MSRP for very long for this vehicle as it is really a rebadged GT with some extras. It's no GT350 or GT500 limited car in my opinion.
Ford isn’t worried about “providing the competition a hole”. It’s only going to last a year and a half, the competition wouldn’t even have time to fill that void if they wanted to (which I can assure you, they don’t).

And there’s no greater hole right now than there was with the GT350. Old car out, new car in. That’s it

Sponsored
OP
OP

348SStb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 991.2 911 S Cab, 2017 AMG SL63, 2019 AMG C63S, 2016 Boxster Spyder, 2019 Mustang GT Conv, too many others
Ford isn’t worried about “providing the competition a hole”. It’s only going to last a year and a half, the competition wouldn’t even have time to fill that void if they wanted to (which I can assure you, they don’t).

And there’s no greater hole right now than there was with the GT350. Old car out, new car in. That’s it
I wish Ford had updated the GT350 again and offered it (limited numbers) for years 2021 and 2022 with:
(1) Option for automatic transmission
(2) New rev-matching for manual transmission
(3) Digital instrument cluster
(4) Improved steering knuckles from GT500/350R
(5) No-cost option to downgrade to Pilot Sport 4S tires
(6) Some different wheel style and wheel color choices

I think Ford missed a great opportunity there and also deprived us of truly the best version of the GT350.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I disagree 100%. I’m glad Ford did what they did. The GT350 was getting to the point that it was simply holding down the development of 5.0 cars (see: PP2) to avoid them stepping on each other’s toes. The GT350 was great when it came out, but far over welcomed its stay. That problematic 5.2 with its useless flat plane crank is what kept me away, but there was never a 5.0 powered car that was quite as track capable... until now

What ford SHOULD have done was either A. Call the Mach 1 a Boss 302 instead so that the people with rose-tinted shades would stop getting so pissy, or B. Given the Mach 1 a set of GT350 heads and an 8000RPM redline so it could hit that 500hp mark, rev like a GT350, and be considered a Ford Performance vehicle. The problem with option B is it likely would’ve come with a price hike, which would turn a lot of people off, but if they could’ve done it for the same price, it would’ve been a knockout

OP
OP

348SStb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I disagree 100%. I’m glad Ford did what they did. The GT350 was getting to the point that it was simply holding down the development of 5.0 cars (see: PP2) to avoid them stepping on each other’s toes. The GT350 was great when it came out, but far over welcomed its stay. That problematic 5.2 with its useless flat plane crank is what kept me away, but there was never a 5.0 powered car that was quite as track capable... until now

What ford SHOULD have done was either A. Call the Mach 1 a Boss 302 instead so that the people with rose-tinted shades would stop getting so pissy, or B. Given the Mach 1 a set of GT350 heads and an 8000RPM redline so it could hit that 500hp mark, rev like a GT350, and be considered a Ford Performance vehicle. The problem with option B is it likely would’ve come with a price hike, which would turn a lot of people off, but if they could’ve done it for the same price, it would’ve been a knockout
You make good points, but I do wonder if you know and appreciate the merits of a flat plane crank engine. Calling it “useless” is probably not the best analysis.

There’s a reason why Ferrari and McLaren use it. It’s a much more advanced engine design.

Fishtales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)

Maybe, but selling the Mach1 at MSRP will either push price sensitive people to either the GT or the competition once the initial wave of pent up demand is over. The loaded Camaro 2SS Camaro with track recorder and sunroof I was looking at was just north of $53K. They were taking north of $4K off at their recent promotion from the factory - still room to work the dealer side. Let's say $1.5K more. Your at $47.5K - a whopping $10-12K less for more than a competitive vehicle. I'd call that a hole....

Fishtales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)

I agree that the FPC 5.2L engine was one of the big nails in the coffin of the GT350. Too bleeding edge and the complete engine fails and cost to cover had to be a concern for Ford. Couple this with the bean counters wanting to focus the roadmap and lower cost and the GT350 had to go. The problem I see is the failure to get the HP to 500 or more with the Mach1. It's a GT with the coolers and tranny of the GT350 - both welcome changes but not enough to justify selling at MSRP or higher if you ask me. If they offered the Tremec in the GT with the PP1, the Mach1 would be pointless. What may save it is the MT82 reputation, but still for the average GT buyer the jump to the Mach1 is steep and most buyers wouldn't make the jump. We'll see if the Mach1 pricing comes back to earth after the initial excitement passes.
Sponsored