Plastic flap (shield) blocking oil filter canister on 2021 GT500

dbtgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Has anyone else found this plastic "flap" blocking easy access to the oil filter?
It's really inconvenient and a PITA to deal with.
Does anyone know its purpose? Possibly a shield against an oil leak?

IMG_3168.jpg
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
In GT land, Ford Performance call it a splash shield :

1654154700281.png

1654154776655.jpeg

WD :like:

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Maybe I'm not understanding, but why is that inconvenient? Are you trying to access the oil filter from the wheel well? Why not just get at it from under the car, like the good Lord intended?

JR

OP
OP
dbtgt

dbtgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Maybe I'm not understanding, but why is that inconvenient? Are you trying to access the oil filter from the wheel well? Why not just get at it from under the car, like the good Lord intended?

JR
Because I am using @pilotgore's oil filter guide. It makes for a much cleaner filter change.

Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Interesting. . . Can it be easily moved with the bottom resting on the sway bar, or is it hard plastic? I have a TON of filter guides out there for the gt500 and just learned of this flap yesterday on a different forum. Need to borrow a dremel? :)

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. . . Can it be easily moved with the bottom resting on the sway bar, or is it hard plastic? I have a TON of filter guides out there for the gt500 and just learned of this flap yesterday on a different forum. Need to borrow a dremel? :)
I seem to remember mine being quite flexible, but Iā€™m not sure I would flex it enough to get it up onto the sway bar.

Note though, my ā€˜flapā€™ is much longer then that shown in the Ford Performance diagram and I have a 20 euro GT, not a 500 :like:

OP
OP
dbtgt

dbtgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
It is pretty hard plastic. It is "movable" but not very flexible. I tried to bend it enough to get it above the sway bar but felt like it might break before getting it where it needed to be. I'm not keen on modifying OEM items on the car but seems like the only good option. I was able to get the oil filter guide In and locked in place, it just wasn't very easy or straightforward like it is on the GT350. Not much room for your hands to orient, twist, and lock the guide into place.

Is it possible that this flap is a "late" 2021 addition made by Ford and therefore not found on earlier GT500 cars? My car is a November 2021 build.

OP
OP
dbtgt

dbtgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
I seem to remember mine being quite flexible, but Iā€™m not sure I would flex it enough to get it up onto the sway bar.

Note though, my ā€˜flapā€™ is much longer then that shown in the Ford Performance diagram and I have a 20 euro GT, not a 500 :like:

My flap is the longer version also.
Interesting that it shows up on your GT, my GT500, but not the GT350...

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
It is pretty hard plastic. It is "movable" but not very flexible. I tried to bend it enough to get it above the sway bar but felt like it might break before getting it where it needed to be. I'm not keen on modifying OEM items on the car but seems like the only good option. I was able to get the oil filter guide In and locked in place, it just wasn't very easy or straightforward like it is on the GT350. Not much room for your hands to orient, twist, and lock the guide into place.

Is it possible that this flap is a "late" 2021 addition made by Ford and therefore not found on earlier GT500 cars? My car is a November 2021 build.
Bummerā€¦..

If the oil filter guide becomes a nuisance to use, Iā€™d be more than happy to give you a refund.

Sponsored
OP
OP
dbtgt

dbtgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Bummerā€¦..

If the oil filter guide becomes a nuisance to use, Iā€™d be more than happy to give you a refund.
No way!

I love the guide. It is perfect for the job. I was just curious about the "shield" as I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere before and was surprised to run into it.

I will continue to use the guide, and now I know how to get it on with the shield in the way.

You have a great product!:thumbsup:

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
No way!

I love the guide. It is perfect for the job. I was just curious about the "shield" as I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere before and was surprised to run into it.

I will continue to use the guide, and now I know how to get it on with the shield in the way.

You have a great product!:thumbsup:
Awesome, glad to hear! I appreciate that!

PP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
David, I've done a few oil changes on my GT500 with Pilotgore's filter funnel and you can bend that flap up to the sway bar without it breaking. It's rigid, but it will make up and will look like nothing was ever done after you move it back.

OP
OP
dbtgt

dbtgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
David: I have a '20 and it has the flap so it's not new.
Thanks for clarifying this!
David, I've done a few oil changes on my GT500 with Pilotgore's filter funnel and you can bend that flap up to the sway bar without it breaking. It's rigid, but it will make up and will look like nothing was ever done after you move it back.
Good to know it won't break!
That will make the job much easier.
Sponsored

Reactions: PP2