Planning Exhaust Set Up. Need help choosing an Axle Back

mysta_sandman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Domenic
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I just purchased a Mishimoto H Pipe but I'm having a hard time deciding on what I want for an axle back.

I like deep and throaty tones but I don't want a ton of volume. I'm also thinking about installing some bullet resonators after the H and before the Axle to tame things up a bit.

So far, I'm thinking about the following:

Roush Axle
Borla S
Flowmaster AT

I've also thought about just doing the H and keeping the stock mufflers but I hate that trumpty brap brap sound that I've seen in videos. What do y'all think I should go with?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I just purchased a Mishimoto H Pipe but I'm having a hard time deciding on what I want for an axle back.

I like deep and throaty tones but I don't want a ton of volume. I'm also thinking about installing some bullet resonators after the H and before the Axle to tame things up a bit.

So far, I'm thinking about the following:

Roush Axle
Borla S
Flowmaster AT

I've also thought about just doing the H and keeping the stock mufflers but I hate that trumpty brap brap sound that I've seen in videos. What do y'all think I should go with?
Roush will be VERY loud. I would strongly recommend the Borla S-type or AWE touring for your wants. The ARH is also a nice, fairly tame, but deep muffler setup.

OP
OP
mysta_sandman

mysta_sandman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Domenic
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Roush will be VERY loud. I would strongly recommend the Borla S-type or AWE touring for your wants. The ARH is also a nice, fairly tame, but deep muffler setup.
So skip the Roush and go Borla?

Before the H Pipe, the Borla was my top choice. If I go Borla, should I still pick up the vibrant resonators to go with that and the H?

I'm looking for that deep rumble but don't care for crazy volume.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
If you're looking to stay with single exit mufflers, I'd check out the Solo Mach XV. If you're ok going to dual exits, look into the 2018+ Active Exhaust mufflers. I think they're the best sounding. I do NOT like the Roush or Corsa mufflers. They make the car sound like yelling and farts. Not my cup of tea.

JR

OP
OP
mysta_sandman

mysta_sandman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Domenic
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
So
If you're looking to stay with single exit mufflers, I'd check out the Solo Mach XV. If you're ok going to dual exits, look into the 2018+ Active Exhaust mufflers. I think they're the best sounding. I do NOT like the Roush or Corsa mufflers. They make the car sound like yelling and farts. Not my cup of tea.

JR
Do the XV stay towards the low end rumble? I hate that upper RPM rasp.

Looking for something somewhat louder than stock with that low end emphasis

Sponsored

Yareen1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yareen
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Ive had a few setups so maybe i can help a bit.

I bought the car with the Ford racing borla touring muffler on it. sounded a bit louder and deeper than stock and more refined. I added an Xpipe to it and it sounded really good and deep but I wanted a lot of volume so I got the ATAK mufflers and now its perfect for me. I would recommend a touring setup based on what you want. I think any sport will be too loud and definitely not the roush axle back, thats around the volume of an ATAK or corsa xtreme.

My 2 cents would be to go with any touring mufflers, as you already have an hpipe to make the car louder and with a sport set up it will be too loud for your liking.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Before the H Pipe, the Borla was my top choice. If I go Borla, should I still pick up the vibrant resonators to go with that and the H?

I'd keep everything as you have it and go to the Borla axleback if that's your favorite. It's pretty straightforward to add resonators behind the H pipe if you want to tame it some later.

OP
OP
mysta_sandman

mysta_sandman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Domenic
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350

That's exactly what I'm going for. Problem is, those Corsa's are way too expensive for just ABs.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
So

Do the XV stay towards the low end rumble? I hate that upper RPM rasp.

Looking for something somewhat louder than stock with that low end emphasis
From what I've heard, yes. I've listened to dozens of Youtube videos, and heard a few in person, and they sound amazing. They're certainly not cheap, but the sound is fantastic, and no rasp. I can't stand rasp, myself, which is why I went with the Active Exhaust mufflers. Once I get the electronics hooked up (it's only bee 10 months), I'll put in an H-pipe. No X for me.

JR

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

That's exactly what I'm going for. Problem is, those Corsa's are way too expensive for just ABs.
They're worth it for a variety of reasons. Zero drone (on the highway they're quieter than stock), refined tone that is extremely dynamic across the rev range, and 304SS construction. They're definitely more racy sounding and less deep muscle, though.

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP

ARH is one of deeper sounding exhausts. It’s quieter than a lot other catbacks but still a good boost in sound over stock. I personally think it sounds the best. I installed headers recently and it sounds better than ever.

H-pipe catback

OP
OP
mysta_sandman

mysta_sandman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Domenic
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
ARH is one of deeper sounding exhausts. It’s quieter than a lot other catbacks but still a good boost in sound over stock. I personally think it sounds the best. I installed headers recently and it sounds better than ever.

H-pipe catback
Damn, that sounds good.

I'm gonna stick with H Pipe for now. If I find a good deal on a Borla/AWH Touring set, I'll pick them up and install them down the line.

dgreene1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
For what it's worth I have only the Roush #422097 axle-back on my '18 GT Convertible and love the upgraded sound and easy self-install. No experience with other options and cat-back was a no-go due to the vert's added rear suspension bracing.

OP
OP
mysta_sandman

mysta_sandman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Domenic
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
For what it's worth I have only the Roush #422097 axle-back on my '18 GT Convertible and love the upgraded sound and easy self-install. No experience with other options and cat-back was a no-go due to the vert's added rear suspension bracing.
I thought about doing just the Roush AB but I don't like it without the H Pipe.

If I were to go the Roush/AB route, I'd definitely have some bottle resonators welded in to bring it down. I love that Roush AB and H Pipe combo but with that volume, my neighbors would key my car.
Sponsored