Sponsored

Plan for Correcting the Drivetrain Sins of the S550 GT

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
You don't need to do a trans rebuild or new trans unless something is broken. Save yourself the money and hassle of that. I have a Stage 1 Calimer because my 2nd gear sh!t the bed, but would not do it unless it's broken. Fixing the issues below extends the life and performance of the MT82 greatly, particularly by fixing the clutch.

Here are the items you should focus on for a much better driving experience as it relates to shifting:

1. Clutch - this is the biggest single improvement you can make. I would recommend the Exedy Mach 500 w/ the lightened steel flywheel. It is still extremely easy to drive on the street but releases MUCH better at high RPM and revs much quicker for heel-toe downshifts/rev matching.
2. Shifter - MGW or Barton Hybrid, either way transmission mounted
3. Clutch assist spring - the Steeda or SR Performance ones rated at 30 lb/in still provide enough spring force to keep the pedal up, but improve the clutch feel drastically.

Trans cooling for the MT82 is likely not necessary for you, so don't bother with the scoop. It cools itself much better than the TR3160 as built.

Do get something like the BMR CB005 lockout kit to solidify the subframe mounting and greatly improve handling and launching.
Sponsored