Piston skirt redesign to reduce slap. It's not DI pump noise

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
So I looked up the TSB and this is only noted at idle I sure haven't noticed anything like that.... TSB below. It's not a problem it's a feature! :)

FORD TSB ARTICLE # 20-2023
Issue

Some 2018-2020 F-150 and Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine may exhibit a light to moderate knocking type noise at idle (600-700 RPM) that is sometimes described as a quiet diesel type sound. The noise is usually more prominent on the passenger side of the vehicle toward the rear of the engine. As the engine comes up to operating temperature, the noise level increases slightly. This noise is not detrimental to engine function and has no short or long term effects on engine durability. This an operating characteristic of the 5.0L engine and no repairs should be attempted.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Milton

Milton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sqeekywheel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt premium PP1
So I looked up the TSB and this is only noted at idle I sure haven't noticed anything like that.... TSB below. It's not a problem it's a feature! :)

FORD TSB ARTICLE # 20-2023
Issue

Some 2018-2020 F-150 and Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine may exhibit a light to moderate knocking type noise at idle (600-700 RPM) that is sometimes described as a quiet diesel type sound. The noise is usually more prominent on the passenger side of the vehicle toward the rear of the engine. As the engine comes up to operating temperature, the noise level increases slightly. This noise is not detrimental to engine function and has no short or long term effects on engine durability. This an operating characteristic of the 5.0L engine and no repairs should be attempted.
Yes that's the one. 4 video clips are also attached to it.
I've heard this sound in mine if let is warm up to operating temp without driving it. I ve noted in a lot you tube videos the same noise at a lesser degree and found people aren't noticing it at that level or are dissmising it as DI pump noise.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I bought mine last October with 14k miles. Randomly heard an idle tick, that was a random noise. Since going to 5w-30 Full Syn this summer, I haven't heard it since. Not saying that's a fix, just what I know.

The 2K rattle is what it is, and we know it is a function of the car.

Maldelver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1
It's a truck motor.

I am curious why everyone expects a refined engine from a $40K car?

Should have got Ecoboost! Haha just joking.
It was specifically designed for the Mustang to compete with the Camero and the Challenger/Charger.

Just because the engine has also been used in a truck doesn’t make it a “truck engine”

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
It was specifically designed for the Mustang to compete with the Camero and the Challenger/Charger.

Just because the engine has also been used in a truck doesn’t make it a “truck engine”
Yea, I don't know how you can read the engine specs / manufacturing techniques on the Coyote Gen 3 and then brush it off as a non-performance engine. Are there better engines? Yes. But that doesn't mean it's not a damn good one.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
So I've been informed (through Ford) that 2021 gen 3 5.0l has a piston skirt redesign from its preceeding model years to reduce the diesel type knock "some have".
If some pre 21 5.0 have it and some don't, that tells me it ain't a piston skirt thing.

OP
OP
Milton

Milton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sqeekywheel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt premium PP1
Maybe it's just PTW clearance but the engineers made a change for a reason and haulted the Tsb for revised versions with that change.

Last edited:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Maybe it's jut PTW clearance but the engineers made a change for a reason
We still don't know that for sure right? Where did you get the info from (based on your first post that mentions you were informed by Ford)? Can you share that info?

OP
OP
Milton

Milton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sqeekywheel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt premium PP1
We still don't know that for sure right? Where did you get the info from (based on your first post that mentions you were informed by Ford)? Can you share that info?
Might as well since they're are not stepping up and backing the Tsb, citing the engineers put these evaluations together based on fact and testing ect..... Opened a case with Ford Canada customer service Rep.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Might as well since they're are not stepping up and backing the Tsb, citing the engineers put these evaluations together based on fact and testing ect..... Opened a case with Ford Canada customer service Rep.
Lol why does it matter? Are you worried they hid some massive mechanical fix in the 21 engines? I'm pretty doubtful.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Ok well that still does not tell us where you got the info from and what the info stated.

You started out the first thread with "I've been informed"...

Why not tell us who informed you and what did they say?

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I don't quite understand by what you mean they aren't backing the TSB? The TSB says there is nothing wrong and that there is no further action required essentially. So what should be happening beyond that?

OP
OP
Milton

Milton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sqeekywheel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt premium PP1
I don't quite understand by what you mean they aren't backing the TSB? The TSB says there is nothing wrong and that there is no further action required essentially. So what should be happening beyond that?
Sorry my mistake, they are backing the Tsb.