Pilot Super Sport vs Sport Cup 2 - Advice Needed

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
But they don't come in the 305 size that is used on the rear of the newer GT350's. Only the SC2's and PSS come in both the 295 and 305.
Well look at that, you're right! I could have sworn I saw it there yesterday! I assume it's coming down the road (no pun intended).

Capture.JPG
Sponsored

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
If Michellin does get rid of the PSS in favor of the PS4, I'm guessing they'll make it in the 305/35R19 sizes for the GT350. But I see nothing on the Michellin site indicating they're getting rid of the PSS.

Brjb350sn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer sport, 2014 Silverado, 2020 GT350
Has anyone considered ps4s in front and pss on rears?

Chola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rajarajan
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord 2005. 2019 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Has anyone considered ps4s in front and pss on rears?
Good question. I just got SVE SP2 staggered a few days ago and am getting MPSS 305/35 R and MPS4S 285/35 F. There seem to be opinions both for and against such a setup. The way I see is that (since the 385/35+305/35 combo is not available in MPS4S or MPSS) the MPS4S being the newr/marginally better version of MPSS there shouldn't be a big issue with mixing them. In addition to many people having that setup on their mustangs, there appear to be a few threads on some BMW forums too on the same topic.

Keeping my fingers crossed as I'll be getting my tires once the temperatures are a little warmer next week and the night-time/morning lows are > 45F.

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The bespoke OEM GT350 SuperSport is significantly stickier than an off-the-shelf SuperSport, and closer to a standard Cup 2 in this regard.

The bespoke OEM GT350 Cup 2 is similar to an off-the-shelf Cup 2 in terms of grip, but not as aggressive or sticky as the bespoke GT350R Cup 2.

If you're interested in learning more about what goes into these special bespoke tires, check out the article I wrote on the development of the GT350, GT500 and Ford GT Cup 2s:

https://motoiq.com/not-all-michelin...may look the same,compounding for a given car.

If your biggest concern is picking up rocks from sticky tires (more than grip and performance) you can get a standard PS4S tire or any lower-performing street tire in the size.

If your biggest concern is to reduce pickup from rocks and tramlining, you can get a standard PS4S tire or any lower-performing street tire in the size. You can also put narrower wheels and tires on the car - further taking away performance and what makes a GT350 so special. But if you don't drive your car hard and if rocks and tramlining are more important than performance, this is your best bet.

Sponsored

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
The bespoke OEM GT350 SuperSport is significantly stickier than an off-the-shelf SuperSport, and closer to a standard Cup 2 in this regard.

The bespoke OEM GT350 Cup 2 is similar to an off-the-shelf Cup 2 in terms of grip, but not as aggressive or sticky as the bespoke GT350R Cup 2.
woah... i had no idea the pss was bespoke and stickier in that size... i don't recall ever seeing a "fp" marking, so are all the 305/35/19 ones presumably the stickier compound?

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350

If you're interested in learning more about what goes into these special bespoke tires, check out the article I wrote on the development of the GT350, GT500 and Ford GT Cup 2s:

https://motoiq.com/not-all-michelin...may look the same,compounding for a given car.

If your biggest concern is picking up rocks from sticky tires (more than grip and performance) you can get a standard PS4S tire or any lower-performing street tire in the size.

If your biggest concern is to reduce pickup from rocks and tramlining, you can get a standard PS4S tire or any lower-performing street tire in the size. You can also put narrower wheels and tires on the car - further taking away performance and what makes a GT350 so special. But if you don't drive your car hard and if rocks and tramlining are more important than performance, this is your best bet.
Wow! Just wow.

I love my 2018's PSS. How do you know you are getting the bespoke tire? Similar to the question above.

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
IIRC, there is only one 305/35-19 PSS, which is the bespoke GT350 rear. There are multiple 295/35-19 PSS tires so it's important to order the correct GT350 front tire, not the BMW or Mercedes version.

Its easy to order the wrong tire, tire rack or whatever tire store you buy tires from order the wrong tire, etc...

Being a knowledgeable customer and ensuring what you get from tire rack or your tire shop is important. Which is part of why I wrote the article. I usually check out the tires on every GT350 I see and I've seen multiple times the wrong tires or even a singular tire used. Heck, I've seen a ford GT with a non-Ford GT spec tire on it, so it's a pretty common issue.

Ford added the "FP" for just the GT350 cup 2, not the GT350R Cup2 or ford gt Cup 2. So it's not as simple as looking for that marking.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Thanks, but how can you tell you are actually getting the right tire when it shows up if my PSS have no markings on the front tires?

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Thanks, but how can you tell you are actually getting the right tire when it shows up if my PSS have no markings on the front tires?
It will not have the bmw or Mercedes markings on it.

Better yet, get the new FP Cup2. It's about as good as the bespoke PSS in deep water, it's stickier in the wet, and significantly better in the dry. And it's easy to make sure you got the right tire.

Sponsored

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
IIRC, there is only one 305/35-19 PSS, which is the bespoke GT350 rear. There are multiple 295/35-19 PSS tires so it's important to order the correct GT350 front tire, not the BMW or Mercedes version.
perfect. i just use the 305/35 square for street and rainy track days so that works for me!

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350

Better yet, get the new FP Cup2. It's about as good as the bespoke PSS in deep water, it's stickier in the wet, and significantly better in the dry. And it's easy to make sure you got the right tire.
I had no plans or need to go up to the Cup2 and give up treadwear life (and the added cost of the tires). Plus, wouldn't that go against what the article talks about, in that my car was designed for the PSS. When Ford put the Cup2 on the GT350's they also made some suspension changes.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I had no plans or need to go up to the Cup2 and give up treadwear life (and the added cost of the tires). Plus, wouldn't that go against what the article talks about, in that my car was designed for the PSS. When Ford put the Cup2 on the GT350's they also made some suspension changes.
while that's true, it doesn't mean the car wouldn't be faster on stickier tires.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I just re-read this comment. So the front PSS 295 size tire will either say BMW, Mercedes, or nothing on it? There's not any other non-bespoke version? Sorry to keep asking, I just want to be sure. Tnx.

while that's true, it doesn't mean the car wouldn't be faster on stickier tires.
I hear ya! Nothing wrong with that. But I'm not a racer, just a street guy mostly.

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project

https://motoiq.com/not-all-michelin-cup-2-tires-are-created-the-same/#:~:text=They may look the same,compounding for a given car.

Thanks for the good info, Billy, you have valuable perspective that none of us do. As I'm looking at a new summer rim/tire package, I've eliminated the SC2s not for the reasons of throwing rocks (I've got PPF and rock blockers) or tramlining (though it's nice not to have that) but wear. I've heard 6k miles is about what I can expect for street use on them, and given that I'm dailying this car, I'm not prepared to buy 2 sets of street tires per year to burn up commuting and running errands. I'm planning to use SC2s (or better) for track days and something more durable for daily street use. PS4S is what I had in mind but am certainly open to input.
Sponsored