honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I'm confident you have another 2 days on those. But they'll probably be toast by end of day 2. I wouldn't hesitate betting on them for the weekend.

petstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT350 TP Magnetic w OTT Black Stripes
Here are pictures of my front and rear SC2 tires after two track days. One @ NJMP Thunderbolt and one @ NJMP Lightning. I was thinking the fronts are done but rears can have another one or two track days.

I have -2.5 front and -2 rear camber, with plates and probably will go for -3 next track day. I can also confirm that 305/30/19 98Y has less tread compared to the 305/30/19 102Y but at Tire Rack it is like 60$ more per tire - 460 $ vs 399 $.

I agree with firestarter2, would hate to trow away good tires. Advise welcome - thanks

upload_2018-9-17_14-37-22.png

upload_2018-9-17_14-37-54.png

Front SC2
Front SC2.jpg
Rear SC2
Front SC2.jpg
View attachment 305213

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Here are pictures of my front and rear SC2 tires after two track days. One @ NJMP Thunderbolt and one @ NJMP Lightning. I was thinking the fronts are done but rears can have another one or two track days.

I have -2.5 front and -2 rear camber, with plates and probably will go for -3 next track day. I can also confirm that 305/30/19 98Y has less tread compared to the 305/30/19 102Y but at Tire Rack it is like 60$ more per tire - 460 $ vs 399 $.

I agree with firestarter2, would hate to trow away good tires. Advise welcome - thanks

upload_2018-9-17_14-37-22.png

upload_2018-9-17_14-37-54.png

Front SC2
Front SC2.jpg
Rear SC2
Front SC2.jpg
View attachment 305213
Those look more than fine for at least another day. Good chance they'll start to chunk on day 4, but I'd still run them. If the tire hasn't chunked yet, you have least 1 more day. You can run them once they start to chunk (albeit very small chunks), but you'll only get another couple of sessions after that.

Fortunately Cup2s just progressively lose grip, they don't get super greasy (at least in my experience).

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Ya, there are a lot of factors. My last day with pics above was waterford hills which is an older track with concrete in corners (is getttjf all new asphalt now) which is why mine shredded. This was actually my fifth event, but only did 3 of 5 sessions and had two half days in the rain so really count as four full aggressive 5 session days probably.

I mentioned my driving style bc there is another R in a middle run group which similar days and much better tires but his lap times are way way more conservative. My front brake pads will probably be shot after 6 days for example, his looked brand new. Driving style is a big factor.
I find your pad life interesting. I've run Mid-Ohio and Grattan in my R. I consistently get ~3 hours out of a set of front brake pads, but the tires are doing pretty well. ~2500 easy street miles and 6 track days, but two days were wet so minimal tire wear. I think I can get another day or two out of the fronts, two more days on the rears. Grattan is hard on the LF tire. All in, I figure I am getting about 10-12 hours of dry-track run time for a set of tires.

I'm running -2.5* camber in front with bolts, about -1.8 or -2 in the rear with stock adjusters, and the tire wear has been extremely even on the factory CF wheels. I run zero front toe. The tires are a little slower than new, but they were very consistent over the last two days and I expect they will stay like this until they are corded. Overall, given the mass of the car and the speed, I'm impressed with the tire life.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Those look more than fine for at least another day. Good chance they'll start to chunk on day 4, but I'd still run them. If the tire hasn't chunked yet, you have least 1 more day. You can run them once they start to chunk (albeit very small chunks), but you'll only get another couple of sessions after that.

Fortunately Cup2s just progressively lose grip, they don't get super greasy (at least in my experience).
Agree 100%; you can run them until the outer circumferential groove is totally gone and the outer shoulder grooves are totally gone, and you still have another day to go at least. I would put another weekend on those tires. Worst case I'd be diligent about a gentle warm-up lap; I have noticed they take longer and longer to "come in" as they wear.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Agree 100%; you can run them until the outer circumferential groove is totally gone and the outer shoulder grooves are totally gone, and you still have another day to go at least. I would put another weekend on those tires. Worst case I'd be diligent about a gentle warm-up lap; I have noticed they take longer and longer to "come in" as they wear.
TIL :)

Also good point about warm up!

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR

Sponsored

km1075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 C63s, 2020 GT350 HEP
Based on the pictures and replies already posted in this thread, I think I know the answer to my question, but I'll ask anyway. See pic of driver's side front tire below. Safe to say I'm good for one or two more track days? (I'm in the intermediate run group and will be tracked at Autobahn in Joliet, IL)

20210817_074344.jpg

5.2 liters of democracy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
Based on the pictures and replies already posted in this thread, I think I know the answer to my question, but I'll ask anyway. See pic of driver's side front tire below. Safe to say I'm good for one or two more track days? (I'm in the intermediate run group and will be tracked at Autobahn in Joliet, IL)

20210817_074344.jpg
You'll be fine.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch

20210817_074344.jpg
You’re correct… those look brand new and you’ll have zero issues getting AT LEAST 2 days out of them in the intermediate run group.

GTIIIL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
What does anybody think of the track days left in these? They are cheap and local to me.

1629392852981.jpeg